(Dracula Just Murdered a Family) Castlevania Rant

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrispyTigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 CrispyTigers
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

(If you want to see this post in video form, you can always click here to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7V4I1xm830&feature=youtu.be)

Hey, so the new Castlevania game just came out and I can't wait to see what they have in store for gamers out there. I've been watching a gameplay, no commentary walkthrough of it. Surely they've kept the old Metroidvania gameplay still in tact, and they've managed to tell a great story with wonderful characters and a likable protagonist.

45 seconds later

WHAT THE ****!?!?!? DID DRACULA JUST SERIOUSLY MURDER AN ENTIRE FAMILY!?!? THIS DOESN'T WORK, I CAN'T SYMPATHIZE WITH A CHARACTER WHO MURDERS A WIFE AND CHILD!?!? THERE WERE SO MANY BETTER WAYS TO DO THIS?!?!?! ESPECIALLY SINCE DRACULA HAS A BUNCH OF ENEMIES YOU COULD'VE PICKED, BUT NOPE! KONAMI IS JUST GOING TO GO WITH THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL CHOICE POSSIBLE!?!?! ARE YOU FUCKING MAD!?!?? YOU JUST SABOTAGED YOUR OWN STORY, YOUR OWN CHARACTERS, BUT FOR WHAT!?!??! ANSWER ME!??! THIS SCENE HAS NO REVELEVANCE AT ALL!!! IT COULD BE REMOVED AND DRACULA COULD BE IN A HOMOEROTIC LOVE SCENE FOR ALL THE ACTUAL GOOD IT DOES, IF YOU WANTED TO SEE HIM NOT LOOK LIKE SHIT, JUST PICK AN ALREADY ESTABLISHED CHARACTER TO KILL! NOT AN INNOCENT FAMILY, WHICH I CAN ASSUME WAS DONE ONLY FOR CONTROVERSY SAKE! ****!!!!!!!!!!

Several breaths later...

Okay, now that I've got that out of my system. This scene doesn't work. It doesn't work at all. It's never mentioned again, and I can't sympathize with the character from this point forward. They ask me to care about his family problems, he just murdered a family a second ago. It's hypocritical...

But I haven't gotten to the gameplay, once again they've removed and destroyed the open world element and RPG elements. AGAIN. This isn't a Castlevania game. this is a God of War clone. And no, it's not a God of War clone because it's using the same gameplay, it's a God of War clone because

A) The character starts out a dick.

B) The look and feel is the same.

C) The upgrade system comes off the same

I think the better question is "What did they not steal from God of War!?!" This just isn't the way I want to see the series evolve. The last series I can think of that evolved in the best way possible, was Metroid Prime. And that was in 2003. The game Konami should be stealing from, and should be trying to follow is Dark Souls. That would work AMAZINGLY! Dark Souls is a better Castlevania game, then fucking Castlevania at this point. But if you wanted to keep your combat, you could still do that with RPG elements and an open world. There's really no excuse.

Either way, I'm just disappointed. I'm saddened by this more then anything, and I think that they're throwing the Castlevania name and games into the ground. Thank you for reading and tell me what you guys think below.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#2 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Having not played the game, that scene was intended by the developer - developer said this in an interview - to make you second guess your empathy with the main character, not sure how effective the scene actually is though.

Did you play the original LoS because it's more of the same in terms of game style. LoS was actually pretty fun although I don't really have any ambitions to play this one.

CrispyTigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrispyTigers

@Minishdriveby: OH, It made me second guess my empathy all right, as in, I'm not giving any of it back to this character...

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@crispytigers: Okay cool, I guess the scene was successful then.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I haven't played the game yet, but it's Dracula. We're not supposed to sympathize with him. He's a monster.

Yes, he's the main character, but we can still hate him and I think that was the point.

However, it still sounds poorly done.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

After completing the game, I think you're forgetting that you're the Prince of Darkness. As the dragon Dracul, you have no sympathies for humans, but for destruction. Also, in that scene, he was weak and was in his blood lust stage like all Vampires. Dracula isn't supposed to be a hero, in a shiny armor saving peasents.

CrispyTigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrispyTigers

@FireEmblem_Man: Understandable, it's just hard to ask for me to give a crap about the character's family problems afterwards. It's like the game can't decide if he's evil or flawed. There's a difference between being a piece of shit, and having genuine flaws.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i love castlevania LOS2 my friend

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The original LoS had a solid enough story, but playing Castlevania for the story is a mistake. I've enjoyed them, but they definitely aren't the best. After all, how many times can you kill Dracula?

I'll likely play LoS2 at a price drop.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I know DRACULA is supposed to give out free hugs and kisses. I guess Konami doesn't know that DRACULA is the nicest dude next to Santa. Haha.

In all seriousness, get out of the phucking Twilight daze your'e in. DRACULA doesn't sparkle and isn't friendly. He is thirsty for blood like vampires are supposed to be. Go play Barbie or something.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Isn't that kind of like Kratos from God of War? He also killed lots of innocent people, yet fans love him.

CrispyTigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrispyTigers

@dvader654: Actually, I'm not angry at that at all. It's a reboot, and I appreciate them actually trying to do something so different with the story. Too bad the writing is awful and fumbles the character, but that's besides the point.

CrispyTigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrispyTigers

@CTR360: All the power to you! :)

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

dude he's fvkin Dracula! he's NOT a good guy! and i happen to love this concept, its something new for a change, we play the text book do goody hero in every game so its nice to play an evil badass every once in awhile.. lol kinda reminds me of the Riddick story in which evil is fought with a different kind of evil. ;)

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

Dracula is not PURE EVIL!!!! It is easy to see him as a monster, but ask yourself what you would do if all the things that you did to help humanity resulted in you not only losing everything that you care about, but also your own humanity. He is an example of someone who the world condemned. Everyone possesses some since of evil within them some just have come to embrace it.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShangTsung7

@cooolio said:

Dracula is not PURE EVIL!!!! It is easy to see him as a monster, but ask yourself what you would do if all the things that you did to help humanity resulted in you not only losing everything that you care about, but also your own humanity. He is an example of someone who the world condemned. Everyone possesses some since of evil within them some just have come to embrace it.

i prefer the old hammer movie series of Dracula with Christopher Lee, most probably have no clue what i'm talking about.. lol that story is by far the best depiction of the Dracula character i've seen and in that story you can both sympathize with him and hate him as he was certainly dealt a bad hand but you can easily argue that the way he went about dealing with it simply made him a monster, if you're a fan of the character as i am you owe it to yourself to check out these old films. ;)

CrispyTigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrispyTigers

@shangtsung7: Okay, fine. Why do they want me to sympathize and connect with an evil dickhead???

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShangTsung7

@crispytigers said:

@shangtsung7: Okay, fine. Why do they want me to sympathize and connect with an evil dickhead???

uhh.. they don't. its just a "video game" bro, you're not supposed to "connect" with him, he's an evil sob, he's DRACULA ffs! and you're supposed to realize this and use that as a means to make sense of the story, you're basically playing a "villain" therefor not every cut scene nor the decisions he makes in them are necessarily gonna warm your heart m8. if this game makes you this uncomfortable you would really hate the God of War series.. lol

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

@cooolio said:

i prefer the old hammer movie series of Dracula with Christopher Lee, most probably have no clue what i'm talking about.. lol that story is by far the best depiction of the Dracula character i've seen and in that story you can both sympathize with him and hate him as he was certainly dealt a bad hand but you can easily argue that the way he went about dealing with it simply made him a monster, if you're a fan of the character as i am you owe it to yourself to check out these old films. ;)

Hammer Dracula was a great version. Lee really is one of the all time greats. :)