D-Pad or Thumbstick

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Do you prefer D-pads or thumbsticks on your controllers? I prefer d-pads. It just feels more natural to me. Probably because I grew up on NES, the moved on to SNES & Genesis, all of which use D-Pads. Then even on PSX I had the original model, before they added the analog sticks to the controller. So I played a whole freaking lot of d-pads. Because of that, the thumbsticks don't feel as natural to me. I've more than gotten used to them, but whenever I play an old NES or SNES game everything just feels smoother and more natural to me. I wish I could actually use the piece of crap D-Pad on XBox 360.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

depends for which type of game.

for a 2D platformer , a fighting game (2D or 3D) , puzzle games, etc, I prefer d-pads

for 3D platformers and 3D games in general , I prefer the analog thumbstick

FPS is best with a keyboard and mouse but if thats not an option , then analog as well

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

I prefer thumbstick, for me it's so much easier to use.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Overall, I've played most of my games using the D-pad, which works the best for 2D side scrollers. And thumbsticks are good for any type of 3D game including FPS, but mouse and keyboard are the best option in that regard. For me, a D-pad can either make or break the controller. It also depends on the console I guess. Today, good thumbsticks are a must since most games rely heavily on them. I voted for D-pad, I'm just used to playing most of my games with them, and like you I also had the original PS1 with no analogs, so I didn't get into analogs until the N64 really.

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

depends for which type of game.

for a 2D platformer , a fighting game (2D or 3D) , puzzle games, etc, I prefer d-pads

for 3D platformers and 3D games in general , I prefer the analog thumbstick

FPS is best with a keyboard and mouse but if thats not an option , then analog as well

Darkman2007

I initially voted thumbstick, but this sounds more accurate.