Does player voice acting hurt fallout?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9c41979056d
deactivated-5c9c41979056d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c9c41979056d
Member since 2015 • 179 Posts

For the first time in a Bethesda game, the player has been given a voice and a character. I'm still early on in the game, but I'm finding this to be a really negative choice on the part of Bethesda.

Now, I'm a gamer who doesn't much care for "cinematic". I would much rather read text than hear it spoken aloud because I can read 2-5 times faster than they can talk and it's just inefficient to listen to the characters talk all the time. (I feel like I hear people most frequently say that they skip the voice acting after the first few hours of gameplay anyhow, in RPGs)

But, the reason this is such a problem in Fallout is because it causes more problems than it solves in terms of story and immersion. You can create ANY character you want in Fallout. you can make a young 20-something or a craggy, world weary 5 year old. you can be thin or you can be fat. You can be skinny or you can be muscular. You can be stupid or you can be smart. But no matter what, as far as I can tell, your voice is still going to be a young, chipper white guy. It's disconcerting. More than that, it really changes the tone of the entire game world. your character is supposed to be going through some VERY serious drama, and the voice actor seems fairly unconcerned.

This is more than just a "bad" job of voice acting, which it's not. This is a problem with the fact that they chose to add voice acting to the game at all, for the main character. There's simply no way to provide voice acting to the character and still allow for the player to tell their own story the way Bethesda games always have in the past.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I wouldn't have minded if there had been more voice options but I'd find it more odd if they kept being mute. Even more so regarding the way the story starts. In Fallout 3 you felt there was a disconnect between you and the main story simply because your character was essentially a empty vessel you controlled and thus didn't have much of a relationship with his father. A mute character in Fallout 4 would likely cause the same disconnect regarding the wife/husband and child.

With voice you do get to choose how he or she reacts, in some cases rather gloomy, angry, upbeat or serious. A voice generally conveys emotion far better then text ever does. There's a difference in hearing someone genuinely say " I...She slumped over and...her eyes simply looked up at me as she...died in my arms" and simply reading that line.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

To be honest what gets me more is the beginning set-up. Not so much the voice; but being married and having a new born son. . . Can it be a daughter? No?. . Ok? Do I have to be married? Yes. Ok. . . Could I be an older teen instead of a 30 year old? . . No? Oh thanks FO4!

I dunno, for a game that states "you are, whatever you choose to be" it kinda decides a lot of those factors for you before you leave the Vault.

Guess I just got too cozy with the no-story characters, that you make up as you play. Oh well, I'll adjust. But keep it out ma Elder Scrolls!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I put it as gamers whining about the less it hurts the game.

For the people that are whining that it breaks immersion. FO4 is first person so it has no immersion even without the voice acting MC.

For the people whining about how it does not reflect your character. The voice acting does so little about your character that it a minor thing compare to other than that affect your character. You can only play one type of character in Skyrim and it does not have voice acting in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c9c41979056d

@wiouds said:

For the people that are whining that it breaks immersion. FO4 is first person so it has no immersion even without the voice acting MC.

For the people whining about how it does not reflect your character. The voice acting does so little about your character that it a minor thing compare to other than that affect your character. You can only play one type of character in Skyrim and it does not have voice acting in it.

uh... what?

"FO4 is first person so it has no immersion even without the voice acting MC"

I don't think you know what immersion means.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c9c41979056d

@Treflis: "There's a difference in hearing someone genuinely say " I...She slumped over and...her eyes simply looked up at me as she...died in my arms" and simply reading that line."

I guess not for me. I have no problem reading a line with drama. And whenever I read it, It's always pitch perfect for me, because it's read just as I want it to be. There is no bad voice acting or bad line reads in my imagination.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wiouds

@kiddynamo said:
@wiouds said:

uh... what?

first person breaks the forth wall all the time and it ruins immersion for me. Imagine every time you get hit in the game there is a pop saying that you are playing a game. That is what it is like for me countless reminders that I am just playing a game.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@wiouds: i dont quite get what you mean?

Also fallout can be 3rd person, wouldnt 3rd person break immersion even more?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

I kind of like it myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c9c41979056d

@wiouds said:
@kiddynamo said:
@wiouds said:

uh... what?

first person breaks the forth wall all the time and it ruins immersion for me. Imagine every time you get hit in the game there is a pop saying that you are playing a game. That is what it is like for me countless reminders that I am just playing a game.

I'm afraid that has nothing to do with "breaking the fourth wall". And, speaking in a literary sense, first person is always going to be more immersive than 3rd person. In a design sense, as well. The viewer is always going to identify with, most closely, the character or item that is largest in the frame, closest to the viewer, or brightest in tone. In that order.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thehig1

@Archangel3371 said:

I kind of like it myself.

Me too I wished it was in skyrim too

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

Didnt bother me as long as I get to make choices. They could have added more voice options, but im fine with it. I liken it to mass effect with shepherd

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I don't have much of an issue with it, it's nice to have some voice acting around the world, but I do agree it's easier usually to read the dialogue and skip to the next line of it. Though, after reading the posts here I do see how it can ruin the immersion depending on the character you create. But I don't really have an issue with it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wiouds
@thehig1 said:

@wiouds: i dont quite get what you mean?

Also fallout can be 3rd person, wouldnt 3rd person break immersion even more?

I find 3rd person more immersion since the character is reaction to the attacks. I can identify more closely with them and it draws me more into the game. Seeng a someone get hit is more immersive to me than the game breaking the forth wall telling me there was a hit.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I really don't care that the PC dialogue is voice-acted. I honestly don't feel more immersed trying to imagine what the character might sound like in my head, especially with the "silent" protagonist sort where you have to imagine completely how the character acts (like in Half-Life). I don't have that much of a vivid imagination.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I'm not fond of a lot of the voice acting in the game. There seems to be a new cinematic approach to the story that wasn't there as much before, so many of the voices kind of have a polished and overly serious tone to them. Not a major complaint or anything, but I miss the goofiness of the voice acting in in the other games.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@kiddynamo said:

For the first time in a Bethesda game, the player has been given a voice and a character. I'm still early on in the game, but I'm finding this to be a really negative choice on the part of Bethesda.

Now, I'm a gamer who doesn't much care for "cinematic". I would much rather read text than hear it spoken aloud because I can read 2-5 times faster than they can talk and it's just inefficient to listen to the characters talk all the time. (I feel like I hear people most frequently say that they skip the voice acting after the first few hours of gameplay anyhow, in RPGs)

But, the reason this is such a problem in Fallout is because it causes more problems than it solves in terms of story and immersion. You can create ANY character you want in Fallout. you can make a young 20-something or a craggy, world weary 5 year old. you can be thin or you can be fat. You can be skinny or you can be muscular. You can be stupid or you can be smart. But no matter what, as far as I can tell, your voice is still going to be a young, chipper white guy. It's disconcerting. More than that, it really changes the tone of the entire game world. your character is supposed to be going through some VERY serious drama, and the voice actor seems fairly unconcerned.

This is more than just a "bad" job of voice acting, which it's not. This is a problem with the fact that they chose to add voice acting to the game at all, for the main character. There's simply no way to provide voice acting to the character and still allow for the player to tell their own story the way Bethesda games always have in the past.

Am I alone in thinking this?

After playing it for a few hours, i can say you are dead wrong.

The voice-acting is great and even tho it could probably have been better voice actors, it´s done well and suits the game well.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thehig1

@wiouds: i can see your point, however i think the opposite,3rd person breaks my immersion because i can always see a charecter in front, in first person its a view of what i would see if i was there.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wiouds
@thehig1 said:

@wiouds: i can see your point, however i think the opposite,3rd person breaks my immersion because i can always see a charecter in front, in first person its a view of what i would see if i was there.

If you feel that way it is fine. Thank you for understanding my personal feeling on something as subjective as immersion instead of trying to tell me that first person is always immersive.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2861 Posts

they should have had more voices is all. For example, Saints Row 3 and 4 had several voices you could choose from from either male or female. this is an rpg they developed for many years and they were so lazy to only include one voice actor per sex, so lazy if you ask me. Mass Effect had the same problem, but i didnt mind the female voice, but the male voice sounded like a fancy boy.

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

To be honest what gets me more is the beginning set-up. Not so much the voice; but being married and having a new born son. . . Can it be a daughter? No?. . Ok? Do I have to be married? Yes. Ok. . . Could I be an older teen instead of a 30 year old? . . No? Oh thanks FO4!

I dunno, for a game that states "you are, whatever you choose to be" it kinda decides a lot of those factors for you before you leave the Vault.

Guess I just got too cozy with the no-story characters, that you make up as you play. Oh well, I'll adjust. But keep it out ma Elder Scrolls!

I have to agree with you. A big part of Fallout (and RPGs) is the decision to be a hero, indifferent, or villain. It's really hard to establish the villain character with no moral center when the game sets you up as loving spouse and parent.

@Yams1980 said:

they should have had more voices is all. For example, Saints Row 3 and 4 had several voices you could choose from from either male or female. this is an rpg they developed for many years and they were so lazy to only include one voice actor per sex, so lazy if you ask me. Mass Effect had the same problem, but i didnt mind the female voice, but the male voice sounded like a fancy boy.

I like the voice acting in theory but it would have been nice to pick gender, accent and tone like in Saints Row.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@tatman87 said:
@RSM-HQ said:

I have to agree with you. A big part of Fallout (and RPGs) is the decision to be a hero, indifferent, or villain. It's really hard to establish the villain character with no moral center when the game sets you up as loving spouse and parent.

@Yams1980 said:

I like the voice acting in theory but it would have been nice to pick gender, accent and tone like in Saints Row.

This comment makes me think you have never actually played the game.

Because let´s just say that if you have trouble finding moral reasons to be bad, well....... do not wish to spoil the game. But you are not a very "creative" person.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#23 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

@tatman87: That's not really what my message was about to be honest. It wasn't about being good or evil at all. It's about being overly scripted.

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

@RSM-HQ No, my message was pertinent to your statement. The player's morality is one of many elements that can be scripted.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Is it really bad?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I don't really care myself, but that's just because I'm not much of a roleplayer. Everytime I see all the options during character creation in RPG's, I want to care about it, but I just don't. I pick a female and some stock face that isn't the default one and I'm done. For me, this kind of game is about the events and the exploration, not so much about the character.