Does hype blind you from the truth?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

Many a AAA has a hell'a hype behind it. Most notably the annual games such as Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Sports titles and even game that have a 2 year period like Battlefield and the probably inevitable Titanfall.

These games have loads of hype building up to release and in the end, does it blind one from it's negative aspects? Many of these listed games have little change in way of play and are released as buggy as a nature reserve yet get 9s on average by reviewers and nothing but praise from players even if gameplay could be bland, repetitive etc. Or have a weak story, poor character development etc. Even the multiplayer could get worse year by year but no attention is brought to that, yet if one person does they instantly get swallowed by the fury of the internet.

Thoughts?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

No I usually play the game and decide if its worth the hype. That said, I played and enjoyed a lot of games that were never hyped to begin with.

But im sure some people get blinded by hype.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Titanfall was released not even feature complete at a time games are being nailed to the wall for having bugs and publishers are slammed for rushing games to market. Not one review mentioned it as far as I read.

Of course hype blinds people, why on earth do you think they pay for it and there's the strong correlation between marketing hype and what people see as 'overly generous' review scores

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

No I can judge for myself if a game was worth the hype. On forums I find that it tends to have the opposite effect, once a game starts getting a lot of hype you tend to see a bunch of people online start hating on the game before it's released let alone even play it.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

obviously, yes, hype (and, other aspects) can blind people to the negative realities of a game.

as well, often times, people resort to the ole, "it's my opinion" rationale to explain away everything.

another point i always have to consider and wait to find out is whether or not time and gameplay repetition reveals the faults of a game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

It depends on the game, like AC and CoD I've played almost every entry of those games and my hype is pretty much 0 now. While games like Destiny I'm hyped cause it kinda reminds me of a Halo, Borderlands and a Mass Effect cross over.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#7 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I wish I could get hyped these days, same games every year and I end up playing almost every good release regardless lol

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I would give anything to be able to go back to the days when hype COULD affect me the way it used to. Despite my best efforts, I've gotten so cynical that it's pretty much impossible for me to get overhyped anymore.

Even the best games, I find myself getting far too critical. It'd be lovely to just hype out for a game again. Just play it and have a blast regardless of quality. But I think those days are gone. I can't help but nitpick even when I'd rather just hop onto that hype train and ride it to all the gaming fun I used to have when I was a kid.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 udUbdaWgz1

@ZZoMBiE13:

i am obviously quite cynical about games and gaming these days and was never near this way even a 3-5 years ago. (i think my future switch to pc will fix almost all of this.) however, i can say that i am honestly hyped about witcher3. it is the first game since skyrim i have been so hopeful about.

prior to skyrim?..... uh, maybe, half-life 3, lol......

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iamllamapie

@udubdawgz1: I don't see how a switch to PC will improve this, especially if it's an exclusive switch. Most people I know who have switched to PC expect the world from any AAA game.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes it does. The industry depends on that bullshit to survive. If millions of knucklehead gamers didn't buy every crap game that came out, lots of developers would go out of business. That might be a good thing for gamers, actually.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By udUbdaWgz1

@iamllamapie:

mods. the game's i care about and complain about and buy most are rpg's and i'll be able to fix the errors and developer idiocies i find.

fps and other games i usually just take the game as it is and not worry about the problems. plus, i wait months and years to buy them and so hype due to price becomes mostly irrelevant.

the last 2 games I've bought for full price were skyrim and gta4. before that.... i think oblivion.

for ME hype just isn't an issue.

Skyz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Skyz_
Member since 2014 • 56 Posts

No, if anything it makes me more skeptical, I'll usually scrutinize the game more. I've not been truely hyped for a game in a while.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I would give anything to be able to go back to the days when hype COULD affect me the way it used to. Despite my best efforts, I've gotten so cynical that it's pretty much impossible for me to get overhyped anymore.

Even the best games, I find myself getting far too critical. It'd be lovely to just hype out for a game again. Just play it and have a blast regardless of quality. But I think those days are gone. I can't help but nitpick even when I'd rather just hop onto that hype train and ride it to all the gaming fun I used to have when I was a kid.

negative outcomes of growing up... thank god I'm still a teenager !

Too true.

I'm rocketing towards "boring old man" with jet-like speed. My kid is nearly done with being a teenager at this point.

But at least I can afford good Scotch now. :)

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

After getting screwed over from Day One disappointment, reviews and 'let's play' vids always set me straight. I don't even mind light spoiler leaked gameplay as opposed to burning $60 plus tax on some bullshit. If I like what I see, GOTY / Ultimate Editions are the way to go for me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@iamllamapie: I think so. There aren't any of the big sites that actually question big and hyped games and give them negative scores. Because of them hype behind them. Just look at COD, it almost never get's bad reviews here or any other site even though it is a rehash

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iamllamapie

@The_Last_Ride: The only CoD I recall as of late having a negative review was Black Ops Declassified for PlayStation Vita. But be it CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall, EA Sports, Assassin's Creed, nearly none of these games will have flaws in the reviews whereas a new IP by a new dev, or an intermediate dev will be nit-picked to the bones.

They should get that controversial reviewer on the annual game, Tom McShea, I think... Did the BioShock Infinite 2nd review. Or Caroline.