Does HDMI really look better? I don't see it.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6147b2292c2dd
deactivated-6147b2292c2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6147b2292c2dd
Member since 2004 • 1258 Posts
I recently got an HDTV, man its awesome, however, I have a question. I have my PS3 running on an HDMI cable. And my 360 on component. However, the two look the exact same. I though HDMI looks better, however, after seeing them for myself. I noticed that HDMI looks the exact same as component. I have my 360 and my PS3 running in 1080i and they look the exact same on HDMI for my PS3 and component for my 360. Is this true or are my eyes bad? Sorry for the bad grammer, I am in a hurry.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
I don't have a game system what will run in HD, but I definitely noticed a difference between HDMI and component cables when watching TV.
hermitprojects

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hermitprojects
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

I work on HD Systems everyday as a job. This is the Info on HDMI.

Component cable ( 3 video RCA, 2 audio RCA [Green,Red,Blue,RedA,WhiteA] ) Is analog and can only go to 480i - 1080i.

HDMI is a Digital signal and Supports TRUE 1080P. If your TV is not 1080P then you will never get that picture.

You have to have a HDMI and a TV with 1080P Then you get the Highest HD there is.. For now. LOL.

Most HD TV can only go up to 1080i. Not 1080P.

i = Interlace

p = Progressive

Have a good one. ^_^

hermitprojects

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hermitprojects
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts
P.S. Progressive is better then Interlace. I forgot to say that. ^_^
Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

I have a 26" HDTV that goes to a max of 1080i. I guess that's why even I saw absolutely no difference in visual quality between using component and an HDMI cable. I did, however, notice a marked improvement in sound quality when using the HDMI cable.

Then again, I don't think it was as much a difference in sound quality as it was a difference in loudness. In other words, if you were watching TV with the volume set on 20 with the HDMI cable, you'd probably just have to watch with the volume set on 25 or 30 with the component cables to get the same level of sound.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts

When I first bought my ps3 I watched 3 movies, "Monster House", 'Talledega Nights", and "The Great Raid". While watching them I switched from HDMI to component and really couldn't notice all that much of a difference at all. I also played RfoM, Genji, RR7, and Untold Legends, and again noticed very little difference whatsoever. At the time I was using optical for sound on my older reciever. And using a 720p setting.

I got a newer reciever later on which supported HDMI for video and audio and experimented again, at this time Motorstorm was out and it looked sharper through HDMI, but still only very slightly. The bigggest advantage imo over my component driven 360 and HD-DVD player is the uncompressed PCM.

My brother has a 1080p set and bought a 360 elite and obviously the ability to play in 1080p is the biggest advantage of HDMI from a visual perspective.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I recently got an HDTV, man its awesome, however, I have a question. I have my PS3 running on an HDMI cable. And my 360 on component. However, the two look the exact same. I though HDMI looks better, however, after seeing them for myself. I noticed that HDMI looks the exact same as component. I have my 360 and my PS3 running in 1080i and they look the exact same on HDMI for my PS3 and component for my 360. Is this true or are my eyes bad? Sorry for the bad grammer, I am in a hurry.OmegaWeapon9

The question is: Are you playing the same game, on different platforms with different connections? There should be a slight, and I do mean I slight difference between HDMI and Component connections in the same resolution. More vivid colors, deeper blacks, and slightly more clarity. Some people can't tell much of a difference, to others it's noticeable. But before you write off HDMI as being "the same", do a real comparison.

MarkSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 MarkSmith
Member since 2002 • 31168 Posts

Component cable ( 3 video RCA, 2 audio RCA [Green,Red,Blue,RedA,WhiteA] ) Is analog and can only go to 480i - 1080i.

HDMI is a Digital signal and Supports TRUE 1080P. If your TV is not 1080P then you will never get that picture.

You have to have a HDMI and a TV with 1080P Then you get the Highest HD there is.. For now. LOL.

i = Interlace

p = Progressive

Have a good one. ^_^

hermitprojects

My t.v. is 720p, but it has an hdmi slot. Why is that included if what you're saying is true?

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

hermitprojects

That's entirely not true. Component can do 1080p just fine, most sets just don't support it.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
[QUOTE="hermitprojects"]

Teufelhuhn

That's entirely not true. Component can do 1080p just fine, most sets just don't support it.

Exactly, I've got a 1080p LCD and I can use 1080p perfectly fine.

Also, I don't really see a difference between HDMI and Component. I hooked up my PC to the LCD through DVI (digital) and component and I couldn't see a difference between the two.

I'm sure that there is a small difference between the two however.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

The real advantage of HDMI is sound and the fact that everything is done with a single cable.

Several audio/video sites and magazines have done extensive testing of componentvs. HDMI and the general consensus is that there is novisible difference between the two. Both offer true HDsignals in all supported resolutions.

They have also concluded that high-end cables, like Monster, are no better than their cheaper counterparts.

So basically, you're fine either way.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
If you are using HDMI on your PS3 make sure you use the full color RGB settings. It makes a difference to me anyway. The colors are much more vivid. Also, don't buy expensive HDMI cables, the $10 ones you can find on the internet are just as good. HDMI cables either work or they don't, there are no varying degrees of quality. My $10 cable looks as good as my brothers $125 HDMI cable.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Exactly, I've got a 1080p LCD and I can use 1080p perfectly fine.

Also, I don't really see a difference between HDMI and Component. I hooked up my PC to the LCD through DVI (digital) and component and I couldn't see a difference between the two.

I'm sure that there is a small difference between the two however.

G013M

You shouldn't be able to difference under most normal conditions. Most people don't use cables that are long enough or poorly-shielded which means they don't get very much noise in their video signal via component, and the lack of noise is HDMI/DVI's main advantage in terms of video.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
HDMI is digital, and a digital signal isn't prone to visible signal degradation... an HDMI cable will never cause static, or "fuzziness" to appear on the displayed image.
Other than that I kind of agree with you. My 360 is displayed with VGA (analog) and my PS3 is displayed with HDMI The picture quality is very nearly identical.
Tuvac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tuvac
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts
I have a LCD HDTV, and when my HDMI wouldn't work for some reason on the PS3 for a while, I hooked it up via component, and it looked utterly last gen to my eyes. Assassins Creed looked pretty terrible to me quite suddenly, much less sharp, and with poor black levels. It also simply didn't sound as good. I actually went ahead and cleaned off the HDD completely, and that fixed whatever the issue was, and HDMI and my oh so lovely super black option were back. It was only then the difference was made clear to me.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
[QUOTE="hermitprojects"]

Teufelhuhn

Good point
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Even though it offers no real visual advantage, I love HDMI just for being a single unified cable. Makes things so much easier and reduces clutter behind my TV.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Even though it offers no real visual advantage, I love HDMI just for being a single unified cable. Makes things so much easier and reduces clutter behind my TV.DJ_Lae

So very true. I love having one cable coming out of my PS3/360 and going into my TV. The mess of wires behind my TV is an abomination, and HDMI at the very least doesn't contribute to that problem.