Does gaming feel like a chore for you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Well, the holiday season is kicking in, and as a result, the release are really coming down on us, and I've been backlogged on my games pretty much since I first started getting my own income. There's so many old games I haven't gotten around to playing, and the ones I've playing I haven't gotten around to finishing. It just seems like so much, and at times, I force myself to play games, even when I don't feel like it, and it shouldn't be like that. You should never have to force yourself to play a game just because "I have to play this game to get it out of the way!" I can understand if you're playing games as a profession (game tester, reviewer etc), but when your hobby seems like work to you... it really turns you off from wanting to play all together.

That's kinda how I'm feeling right now. I "need" to keep playing Half-Life 2 Orange Box or it's "never going to be finished". What ends up happening is that I'm viewing it as a chore, and with all chores, I just put it off. So, if this has happened to you, how to adjust your frame of mind so you want to play the games again, not to "finish and move on the next", but to just have fun with them again.

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 mfacek
Member since 2006 • 3000 Posts
no, if i really want to play another game while playing another, i just stop the other. Games are a great way to relax and have fun, i wouldnt play them if they were a chore.
GamerPro1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GamerPro1984
Member since 2006 • 818 Posts
Its hard to keep up with them all I feel what you are saying. It feels likenow more than ever before so many interesting games are comming out on so many platforms its hard to stay on track of it all. The risk of a truely great game slippingby is increased big time. I think the best thing to do really is devote a weekend to it and and trim down the "need to finish list"
GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
i do feel as if it is a chore to dish out all this money for my games
but i hardly ever trade in my games so it will be worth it in the long run.....
Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts

It sounds like you buy more games than you can play. It's easy to do when you have the money, but no gamer should force themselves to play a game. Games are meant to be fun, not a chore.

Personally, I buy only one game per month.Depending on the game, I can usually beatthat game once or twice before buying another one. I have a HUGE list of games that I want to buy for my Wii, DS, GC, and 360, but I refuse to buy more games than I can play.There's about 10 games I want coming out this Christmas, but I'm only going to buy Super Mario Galaxy. I reallylike getting all of the value I can out of each game I buy, so finishing them is a must for me.

radiocreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 radiocreed
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts
You buy too many games, play them one at a time, I'm still playing PS2 games as of today and probably won't move to next gen until next year.
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
I more or less just collect older games now. Forcing yourself to play a game will only hurt the overall experience. I have a catalog of games I haven't played at all. I just save them for a rainy day. Like Advent Rising or Psychonauts. Never played either of those when they came out. Bought both at least a year ago & just started playing each a few months ago out of boredom. Both were very enjoyable.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

The only games that feel like chores are the ones with endless grinding just to progress, ugh! Also, trying to unlock things can be a chore.

But I don't feel pressured into passing games because I have to.

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Not really; I play to enjoy games, if it feels repetitive I generally stop, go do something else, play another game, read a book, whatever.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I have bought so many games that I havent finished... the reason is, if I don't buy it now, I might forget to buy it. So I buy it and it sits on my shelf for a long time... and I keep telling myself "I need to play it"! I still havent played ninja gaiden sigma, metroid prime 3, or given any real time for halo 3... and I really want to focus on guitar hero the next few days. And then theres mass effect...

XBebop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XBebop
Member since 2003 • 1414 Posts
I feel like that about single-player games. Like Zelda: TP, MP3, RE4... I haven't finished any of them. It's not that the games aren't fun, it's just that I can have more fun playing a online multiplayer game most of the time(WoW, CS, BF2)
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
Gaming is my escape from reality. So if it every becomes a chore I think I will go insane.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

I can see where you're going with this, but I think there's another culprit- the game(s) you are playing just aren't THAT good. Games can seem great if that's the only thing out you are interested in, but the second you put them in a pile of games you are interested in, they come off looking weak.

It's a feeling I've had quite recently. I got MP3 and thought it was a pretty fine game...then I picked up a PS3 and GRAW2, Calling All Cars, the Hellgate demo, and gained access to a PS2 with Shadow of the Colossus, Baldur's Gate: DA and a few other games. So I'm certainly not dying for any new games. Anyway, went back to MP3...wow, how did I even put up with the game? It instantly became a chore to play and flatout wasn't any fun. So for me, MP3 is a game that just doesn't stack up when you put it with competition. When it was the only thing for me to play, it seemed great. Now, I kind of feel like Hellgate will be for me, SotC is flat-out amazing, and GRAW2 is an ok "backup" game. BG:DA is fine but pales in comparison to Hellgate, and those other games...well, I can't even remember them (though they seemed ok at first).

Just my opinion of the real problem. As for a solution, I think the best thing is just to play the games that you are most excited to sink your teeth into. So lets take HL2 for an example...put it aside now and start a new game that you're looking forward to starting. If in 2 months you still don't have the urge to play it, I'd say sell it- it probably wasn't that great (for you) in the first place, regardless of reviews.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Vampyro I don't think you can sell Steam games as they are forever associated to your account.

To the OP all I can say is, try not to get too worked up about the backlog and just enjoy what you play. Also, try not to buy every ''must-have'' game, instead just get the ones that you personally are really excited about and feel you really need to play. You'll be spending less and enjoying more of the games you get.

00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts

Gaming never feels like a chore to me.

DilutedDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DilutedDante
Member since 2004 • 1633 Posts
Badly designed games feel like a chore. Well constructed games never should.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

I suppose recently I often have to urge myself to play games whereas in the past once I started I would lose track of time, as I explored every nook and cranny of a game or just frolicked around at my own leisure. I am not sure whether this dissatisfaction is the cruel price of age and maturity or whether this generation simply does not captivate me. I feel it is a combination of the two, the more I play the less exciting and fresh things seem to me, it is increasingly easy to realise you are playing the same games as ten years ago in a different mask.

There is the odd moment where I rediscover that sense of childhood wonder and curiosity that games once brought, I was very surprised yesterday when My Sims, of all games, actually kept me playing against my better judgement and responsibilities. I eventually had to drag myself away from the game rather than to it, as has been the case recently. I also feel that having too many games on the go at once leaves you very indecisive as to what to play, people talk of software droughts but they are a valuable time to catch up on unfinished games.

The recurring scenario for me is one of playing and enjoying a game then, for some reason or another, be it a difficult puzzle or a dull section of a game, I stop playing for a lengthy period. When I return to a game I often find that a) I cannot remember my objective or story or b) My skills have vanished. The former seems to happen very frequently with Castlevania games!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#18 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I have bought so many games that I havent finished... the reason is, if I don't buy it now, I might forget to buy it. So I buy it and it sits on my shelf for a long time... and I keep telling myself "I need to play it"! I still havent played ninja gaiden sigma, metroid prime 3, or given any real time for halo 3... and I really want to focus on guitar hero the next few days. And then theres mass effect...

instantdeath999

Yeah, this is a main reason why I buy more than I can play. I'd rather have the game right away, just to not worry about either remembering to get it, or having to try to find it. Case in point: Disgaea 2. It's still sitting in my stack, unopened. I knew I wouldn't get to it right away, but I still bought it, since I remembered how hard it was to find a copy of the original after it came out.

And to bugsonglass, the Orange Box I'm playing is on the 360, although I don't sell my games anyway. :P

Tohru_Readman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Tohru_Readman
Member since 2006 • 450 Posts
Kind of, which is my fault for buying too many at once. But I do still love playing them, but I do feel a bit guilty when I look at my half finish games and I rarely trade anything in as well.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Yeah, I've had that feeling. So many games to play, I need to get crackin'! But it simply doesn't work that way. So I just let the backlog pile up (and I even don't buy that many games as it is) and I try not to get bent out of shape over it. Every couple of months I just take a break and don't play anything for up to a month after which I really feel reinvigorated and just start tearing through games (I'm in that particular mode right now).

Although I have to say, mentioning The Orange Box and "chore" in the same sentence....blasphemy!

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Sometimes it does... when it feels like a chore, I just stop playing games temporarily.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Not really.I usually don't buy multiple games at once.:P
stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 stafax
Member since 2005 • 1596 Posts
I know how it feels for games to feel like a chore. One time I bought Prince of Persia Warrior Within. That game was so horrible compared to Sands of Time, and was so tidus with the back tracking, that I had to force myself to beat it just so I wont have to play it ever again. Another example is just when I want to play one type of game, but want to finish a game that's not that type of gameplay. Like if I want to finish Splinter Cell and I'm actually in the mood for something faster, then I start thinking "why am I playing this?" But that doesn't happen too often, usually it's just when the game is just bad, like Warrior Within.
Omnicaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Omnicaster
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
The same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was working 50+ hours a week, had a wife and 2 kids, and just couldn't find time to game enough. My backlog was 2 dozen games, plus all the ones I wanted to buy still. I found that the easiest way to combat this is to just remember to have fun. Play games just to have fun and don't feel like you need to play every great game. I now try to only buy one or two games at a time and finish them whenever I get to it. Sure, I am missing out on some great games and will probably never get to them because I am not pushing myself, but I am enjoying the games I am playing all the more.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I have a huge backlog of games that "I have to finish". I've bought them for various reasons - great reviews, good hype, or just a good deal at the store. But unfortunately, time is my scarcest resource at the moment and I can't get to all of them. Plus, for whatever strange reason, sometimes I hate to sit through the learning curve of each new game. I tend to continue to play some games I've mastered just because of that. Odd.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

instantdeath999

Yup...my 360 is going to be repaired right now and I´m pretty happy about it...I finally had time to finish God of War 2.I had to force me into playing it a bit,but had much fun,so it wasn´t that bad.But I have Persona 3 right there and originally I wanted to use the time playing Xenosaga Episode 3,but I got also so many games left I can´t decide...I got so many great games for my XBox left almost unplayed and yeah,there are some great free-MMORPGs for my PC that I could play further...sometimes it´s really awful.Almost good that I got no Job right now to buy new games.I have set one absolutely must-have game (Virtua Fighter 5 on the 360)for this year and think I stop buying after that for 3 to6 Months.There´s just too much coming...:P

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
No, not really. Having an extremely limited gaming time is the best way to avoid that feeling, I believe.
ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
[QUOTE="instantdeath999"]

JustPlainLucas

Yeah, this is a main reason why I buy more than I can play. I'd rather have the game right away, just to not worry about either remembering to get it, or having to try to find it. Case in point: Disgaea 2. It's still sitting in my stack, unopened. I knew I wouldn't get to it right away, but I still bought it, since I remembered how hard it was to find a copy of the original after it came out.

And to bugsonglass, the Orange Box I'm playing is on the 360, although I don't sell my games anyway. :P

If you forget to buy a game and never get around to playing it, is it really that tragic? Why do you feel that you must play so many games? Is it because you really enjoy them so much, or is it for your status in these forums, or is it for some other reason? Unless it's the first one, I'd suggest dropping the whole thing and looking for some new hobbies.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
This is why I buy very few games new. I just go to the local gamestop or local gamestore and plunder thier cheap used games. You only spend like on average 6-8bucks per game and you dont have that backstaking need to play it right away or right now. I have a stack from the past 2 years of about 30+games I bought all used. I probably paid less for it then most do for 3new games. I've beaten sum, played sum, and haven't even touched others. But I don't have that need to play them all, and I still add to it. I like to collect cheap games at the end of the generation.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
My biggest problem is that I have a short attention span.  Games can definitely feel like a chore to me.  I have an insane backlog too.  *WARNING THIS LIST WILL SHOCK YOU*  I still haven't finished the following games that I own:

God of War
God of War II
Resident Evil 4, even though I've owned every version of it at one point or another... 
God Hand
Okami
Final Fantasy 7,8, and 9
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Heavenly Sword
Every Zelda game that exists, I own most of them and have beat none of them...
Bully
Dark Cloud 2
Ico
Metroid Prime 3
Psychonauts
Shadow of Rome
Mario 64
Zone of the Enders 2

I have no reason to ever buy a new game until I beat all of these, but I keep doing it.  Someone stop me for god's sake!
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
Chasing Achievement points is really the only chore for me in gaming. Go back over and over to get something small, trying to get a perfect score.
RED_REDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RED_REDie
Member since 2007 • 265 Posts
sometimes ifeel exactly the same about games, so this made a amount ofsence to me. I find it's a lack of variaity and dreary landscapes that do it the most but it can be solved by splashing out on all new games from completly different genres and trading in the old ones.
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
Sometimes it does. There are times where I will go all day without having any interest in playing but I feel I need to play for an hour or so at night before I go to sleep. It's hard to explain why, it's just a feeling I have.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
My biggest problem is that I have a short attention span.  Games can definitely feel like a chore to me.  I have an insane backlog too.  *WARNING THIS LIST WILL SHOCK YOU*  I still haven't finished the following games that I own:

God of War
God of War II
Resident Evil 4, even though I've owned every version of it at one point or another... 
God Hand
Okami
Final Fantasy 7,8, and 9
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Heavenly Sword
Every Zelda game that exists, I own most of them and have beat none of them...
Bully
Dark Cloud 2
Ico
Metroid Prime 3
Psychonauts
Shadow of Rome
Mario 64
Zone of the Enders 2

I have no reason to ever buy a new game until I beat all of these, but I keep doing it.  Someone stop me for god's sake!
rragnaar
Me and you are in the same boat there crybaby. Only If I was to post my backlog list it would shame yours by being much larger. Uhm that came out a bit wrong but anyways my backlog is over 50 games high right now. Yet I still but at least 4-5 games per trip to the EBgames store..... its.... its like im addicted to it, I love this trying to build a collection thing. At the same time my ADD is killing me..... 4 hours into a game and im rolling my eyes for it to end. Even the good ones most times... except really good rpgs its like ....argh I wish I didnt have ADD. BTW if we're sharing the same boat you're gonna have to learn the magic of modern hygenics, aka showering *plugs nose*
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
im kinda that way with rogue galaxy and paper mario: TTYD for gc. i enjoy playing them, but im not letting myself buy any new games until i beat them, so when i do play, im more focused on trying to complete them than enjoying the experience.
AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
If you start to get this feeling just take a break from gaming..I've done it before and it works for me.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#37 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Depends on the game :P. If I do get down to really playing a game, if only for the sake of finishing it, it actually ends up being more enjoyable. However, thanks to my incessant need to finish games before reviewing, it can be rather tedious to complete the...lesser titles.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts
[QUOTE="instantdeath999"]

JustPlainLucas

I buy them right away becouse I can really have a hard time finding games to long after their release.

I dont know about your gamestores but it seems like if a game is older then six months its just drops off the face of the earth.

Great classics get swallowed up fast in the used sections and only the big sellers get any real shelf time. At least it feels that way to me.

The PC sections are even worse. I often wonder if they ever refill their stock of most games after the initial shipment is sold out.

But concering the OP, thast why I have a shelf load of games I have not played yet but rearely do they feel like a chore. But I did catch myself doing stuff I found boring just for achievments on my 360.... but when it dawned on me what I was doing I put a stop to that.

My next purchase is this week though... vf5 for the 360 with online play. Then its CoD4 for the PC and AC for the 360 in november. Anything not finished before I get vf5 with online play will likely not be finished until sometime in spring on a rainy day.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I think they key is to simply stop buying new games when you've already got a sizeable stack of ones to complete. I'm working my way through the many games that are on my backlog, gradually getting caught up. I'm going to finish Ratchet and Clank, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Grandia III soon. Then I'll move on to games like Okami, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft III and Dragon Quest VIII. Thing is, when you stop buying new games, the distractions become the games that you already have. And eventually, they get complete.

Buying a new game every now and again isn't too bad, though. But the last one I bought was (besides Brain Age 2 as a gift) was BioShock back on its release. The next one will be Super Mario Galaxy, in all likelihood. Are there games being released between those two that I really want to play? Yes. Is there any reason I can't get to them next year? Not really.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#40 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Well when I'm playing an RPG and it takes too long for me to level up I do feel as if it was a chore like VP2. It took me alot to level up and it wasn't enough for me to beat the main baddies easily!

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
nope, and if it did id stop bein a gamer
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Me and you are in the same boat there crybaby. Only If I was to post my backlog list it would shame yours by being much larger. Uhm that came out a bit wrong but anyways my backlog is over 50 games high right now. Yet I still but at least 4-5 games per trip to the EBgames store..... its.... its like im addicted to it, I love this trying to build a collection thing. At the same time my ADD is killing me..... 4 hours into a game and im rolling my eyes for it to end. Even the good ones most times... except really good rpgs its like ....argh I wish I didnt have ADD. BTW if we're sharing the same boat you're gonna have to learn the magic of modern hygenics, aka showering *plugs nose*GodModeEnabled

Hey, it isn't my fault that I stink... oh wait... yes it is.

Yeah, I have the hardest time finishing anything.  I've only beaten three next-gen games so far; Oblivion, Resistance, and Bioshock.  That hasn't stopped me from purchasing most every game that has come out over the last few years though.  I need to get better about figuring out what games I will actually finish before I buy them.
RED_REDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RED_REDie
Member since 2007 • 265 Posts
ADHD means i piss about so much during the game putting ma back against the wall and peaking around for no apparent reason i just think F*CK IT! and play some tekkenor mgs2(which i somehow don't have a prob with.)
carrotthead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 carrotthead
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
gaming doesn't feel like a chore to me at all...in fact it's great a escape, for me, from life's daily chores...