Does anyone watch Twitch streaming ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Carl_W21 (2020 posts) -

Just wondering if anyone knew of any good channels - apart from Gamespot one I am already following them.

I am currently following AskrTV, he does playthrough's of Resident Evil and plays WOW from time to time and other requests.

Anyone know any other decent channels ? preferably Playstation or game related pod casts ?

#2 Posted by Jacanuk (4221 posts) -

Nope, have better things to do with my time than watch some strange guy sit and play a game.

#3 Posted by Carl_W21 (2020 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Nope, have better things to do with my time than watch some strange guy sit and play a game.

You don't just do that, idiot

#4 Edited by Jacanuk (4221 posts) -

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

#5 Edited by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

Depends what games you find interesting. I always just go to browse games and see what peaks my interest but some of my favorite streamers are ManVSGame, LethalFrag, Machinima, Destructoid.

Machinima and Destructoid have a different streamer every night of the week usually and they do different shows every day. One day is multiplayer games, another is horror night (my favorite games to watch), they have an rpg night etc.

#6 Edited by Threesixtyci (4283 posts) -

It's kinda hard to watch anyone other than partners (such as gamespot) if you have a weak internet policy, like I do. Non partners don't have resolution choices, so if you don't have an upper tier internet policy, then non-partner streams can be a frame show.

Australian Gamespot team stream fairly often on their own streams. Harli_au (Zorine) and Eytay (Ed? I think.) especially.

#7 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2409 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

this

#8 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I like Twitch.

Example one: Fighters. I love fighting games but I can't really play them anymore. At least not to any degree one would call proficient. So when a new fighter comes out, I often watch a few Twitch channels. See what the good players are doing.

Example two: Indie titles. Sometimes an indie title comes out and everyone is talking about it, hyping it up and the like. But my experience with indies is hit or miss. More often than not, they are worth the money. But sometimes you want to see what others think. I find that far more valuable than a review. I can visit a few Twitch streams. Interact with the player more often than not. Find out if this is a hidden gem worthy of support or if it's a pretentious title with only a couple of notable moments drowned in a slog of boring gameplay.

Example three: I'm older now, and frankly my hands begin to ache after extended play sessions. Especially shooters as the tension can get very high which causes me to grip the controller too tightly. So I can't play a shooter for too long before I have to take a break. I don't really care for Television very much and Netflix only has so many episodes of Top Gear to watch. When I'm in the mood to game, but don't feel like actually playing one, Twitch can fill that niche.

Example four: EVO. This ties into the first one, but calls for it's own entry. EVO each year has become an enjoyable event for me to watch, and Twitch does a great job in providing access to a world I've never really been a part of. I played in a few local tourneys back in the 90s, but was never a serious competitor. But it's fun to see what tactics the pros use when playing their games, what characters are popular. It's a good time and without Twitch coverage would be limited and less available.

#9 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

i like watching angryjoe on twitch. i use jtv for my entertainment needs tho.

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (15358 posts) -

Just started watching some of this a couple of days ago when I checked out the live stream of Capcom Cup, it was pretty damn awesome.

#11 Posted by Carl_W21 (2020 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

It's the social aspect of it. There is chat, some channels do podcasts, reviews etc...

#12 Posted by Jacanuk (4221 posts) -

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

It's the social aspect of it. There is chat, some channels do podcasts, reviews etc...

Ok, i guess it depends on how social you are in real life then.

#13 Edited by ohaifrancy (126 posts) -

Honestly one of my favorite ways of finding new channels is checking out the front page of Twitch. They have a good rotation of new streamers that changes by hour. This does not apply when there is a big tournament or convention because all the top slots are paid promotions.

I like watching the following:

Funny/random games:

• http://www.twitch.tv/manvsgame

Fighting games:

• http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky
  • http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner

#14 Edited by TheLoneMortal (818 posts) -

Fighting games:

These two I watch often. Pretty much just fighting game streams and rarely anything else for me.

#15 Posted by galactic88 (35 posts) -

I watch Boogie2988 on there all the time haha

#16 Edited by moix123 (67 posts) -

i watch Dota2 Matches on www.twitch.tv , i follow beyondsummit and tobiwan channel.

#17 Edited by BranKetra (48128 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

The internet is real life.

In response to your first post in this thread:

Are all twitch streamers strange to you?

#18 Posted by Jacanuk (4221 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

lol the internet is real life... funny mate

And honestly i think i am past the age where its fun to sit and watch other people play a game.

Also the freetime i have i usually spend on doing my own playing

#19 Posted by Carl_W21 (2020 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

I am very social in real life, I don't get what you are getting at ? :S

#20 Posted by Carl_W21 (2020 posts) -

Honestly one of my favorite ways of finding new channels is checking out the front page of Twitch. They have a good rotation of new streamers that changes by hour. This does not apply when there is a big tournament or convention because all the top slots are paid promotions.

I like watching the following:

Funny/random games:

• http://www.twitch.tv/manvsgame

Fighting games:

few have mentioned manvgame, I have follwed to check it out sometime, thanks

#21 Edited by Jacanuk (4221 posts) -

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

I am very social in real life, I don't get what you are getting at ? :S

I meant that it depends on how much you like being social. :)

#23 Posted by BranKetra (48128 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Oh enlighten me then.

What else do you do?

And honestly i think i am past the age where its fun to sit and watch other people play a game.

I do not mean to be cross with you.

You and I are talking via computers. We are both actual people. To say this is unreal is incorrect which you did by implication and sarcasm.

I consider insulting people not mature. With that in mind, I found irony in this thread since you said you are older than an age in which you considered something acceptable to do. People really are different than you. Individuality is but one part of the nature of man, Jacanuk. Companionship is another. These two traits of humanity apply to those of us who like playing video games with an audience, those who like being an audience, and you disliking both groups.

#24 Posted by Jacanuk (4221 posts) -

I do not mean to be cross with you.

You and I are talking via computers. We are both actual people. To say this is unreal is incorrect which you did by implication and sarcasm.

I consider insulting people not mature. With that in mind, I found irony in this thread since you said you are older than an age in which you considered something acceptable to do. People really are different than you. Individuality is but one part of the nature of man, Jacanuk. Companionship is another. These two traits of humanity apply to those of us who like playing video games with an audience, those who like being an audience, and you disliking both groups.

Oh you were actually being serious.

Sorry i assumed you were making a joke.

And i haven't insulted one person in this debate, in fact if anyone was attacked it was me in regards to my first response, where all i said was that I have better things to do with MY time than watch people chat and play games.

So if you like to watch and stream yourself than all power to you, but its not for me which i think has been determined by now.

#25 Edited by ohaifrancy (126 posts) -

Just started watching some of this a couple of days ago when I checked out the live stream of Capcom Cup, it was pretty damn awesome.

Same here! It was a great tourament.

#26 Edited by ohaifrancy (126 posts) -

@ohaifrancy said:

Fighting games:

These two I watch often. Pretty much just fighting game streams and rarely anything else for me.

I was training for evo this year so for like 7 months that was my life as well lol

#27 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

i don't really watch it at all

#29 Posted by TheLoneMortal (818 posts) -

@ohaifrancy: My post wasn't that clear now that I read it again. When I said "rarely anything else", I meant on twitch specifically. :P

But yeah, when training for a tournament (especially EVO), that's invaluable for learning other player's tactics and matchups for certain characters.

#30 Edited by BranKetra (48128 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Oh you were actually being serious.

Sorry i assumed you were making a joke.

And i haven't insulted one person in this debate, in fact if anyone was attacked it was me in regards to my first response, where all i said was that I have better things to do with MY time than watch people chat and play games.

So if you like to watch and stream yourself than all power to you, but its not for me which i think has been determined by now.

No, I am serious.

As I understand your first comment in this thread, you called the average twitch streamer strange in a manner I consider insulting.

#31 Edited by mojoreb (38 posts) -

Sometimes i'll watch if i have time