does anyone know if PS2 is still making money? ( console and games wise)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 2mrw (4959 posts) -

the console now costs 99$, i wonder how much the production costs are , and the new gamesalso unlikely to surpass the 1 million mark, may be even much less..... i wonder why sony is still supporting it.

#2 Posted by joesh89 (8489 posts) -

because people are still buying it, and there are still games being made for it, sony wont drop it yet.

#3 Posted by NightmareCV (440 posts) -
The PS2 is still selling around 100000 units a month. With numbers like that why would you not keep making what is still the most success console to date? As long as there are games worth buying, and that includes older ones, there will always be people who want to experience the PS2.
#4 Posted by Fantasy_Devil (75 posts) -

Don'tknow about console but games definitely yes, developers are still making games for ps2!

#5 Posted by coincollector78 (163 posts) -

The PS2 is an economical choice if you want to have a console system that is still supported. Sony has struggled to sell the PS3 and even when they do sell the PS3 they make very little or lose money. So if I were Sony I would keep making them they can't sell them anymore.

#6 Posted by c_rakestraw (14615 posts) -

the console now costs 99$, i wonder how much the production costs are , and the new gamesalso unlikely to surpass the 1 million mark, may be even much less..... i wonder why sony is still supporting it.2mrw

Simple, because it's still selling extremely well. Stopping support and/or production for it would be a terrible move, as the system is still receiving plenty of support from developers, and they making huge amounts of money off of it. Because of those two things, they have no reason to stop supporting it, as doing so would be one of the worst possible moves they could make.

#7 Posted by bigM10231 (11240 posts) -

if they didnt take bc with ps2 away with the ps3 then the sales would be very low

#8 Posted by Shidira (941 posts) -

The PS2 is still making money. The systems are cheaper now, but they still turn a profit from them and they are still making games, albeit it's slowing down and will most likely be done here by the end of the year or so. I work at a GameStop and we still sell quite a few used PS2's, some new PS2's, and a lot of new/old games.

#9 Posted by 2mrw (4959 posts) -

The PS2 is still making money. The systems are cheaper now, but they still turn a profit from them and they are still making games, albeit it's slowing down and will most likely be done here by the end of the year or so. I work at a GameStop and we still sell quite a few used PS2's, some new PS2's, and a lot of new/old games.

Shidira
that's actually good to hear that sony is still making money out of PS2.
#10 Posted by JReefer1 (896 posts) -
Yes..your talking about it.
#11 Posted by c_rakestraw (14615 posts) -

if they didnt take bc with ps2 away with the ps3 then the sales would be very lowbigM10231

Not necessarily. Even if the PlayStation 3 still had backwards compatibility, I imagine the PlayStation 2 would still be selling quite well. Simply because it's the cheapest system on the market, and it's got a huge library of games. Those two things alone make it a great choice, which is why I believe that it would still sell very well even if the PS3 still had backwards compatibility.

#12 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

the PS2 wouldnt cost alot to make

the technology is 9 years old and DVDs are very cheap now

I reckon Sony makes more money from the PS2 then from the PS3, at least in profit perconsole sold, as for software its probably still extremely profitable, seeing as people are still buying PS2 software.

its the highest selling console in history, so its bound to go on for a bit longer