Does anyone find the storyline in max payne 3 to be boring?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

While the game is pretty good combat wise, it just seems like the storyline is pretty boring. Now I am not a big fan of remedy just because i only play max payne 2, but that game had that sort of charismatic to it. Like it was very charming even though a little weird on what's going on. Well I didn't pay too much for max payne 3($9 from amazon) but I am not sure if I will go back to it. Maybe try out arcade mode or something. Of course rockstar might want this game to feel like a movie or something. Maybe something that only older man could enjoy. The guy who does the VA for Max is not bad though.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i like the story of max payne 3

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I haven't played max Payne 3

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

The story drags out a bit and isn't the best of the series but it gets better later in the game. The presentation on the other hand is top notch.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Yeah I enjoyed the story.

agux987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By agux987
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

I think it starts awesome, and as the story progresses it gets better. I'd say keep playing a bit more.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@brodelin said:

The story drags out a bit and isn't the best of the series but it gets better later in the game. The presentation on the other hand is top notch.

Yeah agreed.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i liked it alot.. Max Payne 3 is underrated

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The story is a pretty cliche action movie story (BIG BAD CORPORATE MAN KILL KILL KILL EVERYONE) but the script was pretty strong. Max had a lot of hilariously cynical/ awesomely bad lines that are pretty quoteable. I wouldn't call the story great but the writing is definitely above average. Also, it's tough to buy the story because it tries so hard to be "realistic" even though it's about one guy gunning down literal armies. If it was a movie it'd be easier to buy.

Also, yes, New York Minute is actually a very fun game mode. Challenging too. The arcade modes of the game are all worth checking out.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I don't really understand your gripe OP. Just that you didn't enjoy it? Not everyone will like every ploy.

The story was changing, flowed well, and the big reveal was hard to predict. It might have slowed a little towards the end but then the last two levels picked up after a crucial moment in the story. The levels had good variation to flow with the settings of the story and the writing was great.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Man on Fire: The Video Game

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

which is your fav game from the series.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@sukraj said:

@marcheegsr said:

which is your fav game from the series.

I really liked the original Max payne on ps2.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It starts off horrible but gets better as you go

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I stopped paying attention to the story halfway into the game. It wasn't interesting. The game play was awesome though! I enjoyed the combat throughout the game.

@TheShadowLord07 said:

While the game is pretty good combat wise, it just seems like the storyline is pretty boring. Now I am not a big fan of remedy just because i only play max payne 2, but that game had that sort of charismatic to it. Like it was very charming even though a little weird on what's going on. Well I didn't pay too much for max payne 3($9 from amazon) but I am not sure if I will go back to it. Maybe try out arcade mode or something. Of course rockstar might want this game to feel like a movie or something. Maybe something that only older man could enjoy. The guy who does the VA for Max is not bad though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Storyline was mediocre as hell . Characters were boring . It was decent action game but have nothing to do Max Payne games . It was just a Rockstar game with Max Payne character DLC .

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I'm at the swamp level, does it get better around here? Or am I closer to the end?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I'm at the swamp level, does it get better around here? Or am I closer to the end?

The game starts getting good when Max shaves his head (not a spoiler: it's on the box)

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I don't care much for stories in shooters. I care more about shooting the enemies. You know, the fun part. :P

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I actually liked it. Decent plot 6.5/10. Really liked the flashbacks as well. The games more or less thrives on bullet time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

I don't know. I didn't like how perpetually cynical Max was the entire game and basically seemed to have only one emotional state. He says everything in the same gravely tone regardless of what was happening. I know he is supposed to be a total hard ass but you'd think he'd get sad or angry at least some of the time. The cynical, wise cracking thing is entertaining for a while but it does begin to wear thin after some time.

Overall, I'd say the story is okay. It is not terrible but it is not amazing either.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@TheShadowLord07 said:

I agree. I thought the story was absolute crap. The third one lacked all of the wonderful self-awareness of Max Payne 1 and 2, which were brilliant parodies of the "hard boiled detective" film noir genre. MP3 was just a story about a nihilistic a-hole that the player had no reason to connect with or like, nor were there any other interesting or memorable characters in the game. I played it till about 90% or so before I just couldn't take it anymore.

-Byshop