Does a PS3 controller work for PC games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Scorpion1813 (5306 posts) -
Does a PS3 controller work for PC games? I would test it but I currently am unable to get to my PS3 due to moving abroad.
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18529 posts) -
No. Unless you install some home made unverified drivers you find on the net. A 360 controller will work, though. Also, you can find quality PC gamepads for less than $10.
#3 Posted by shinian (6871 posts) -
:lol: No. Try using some PC based gamepads.
#4 Posted by xmitchconnorx (2649 posts) -
A ps2 controller will if you get a usb converter for it.
#5 Posted by Vampyronight (3933 posts) -
Yes, there are drivers for it..but it's a little confusing to get set up.
#6 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I set up my Mac Mini to run a SIXAXIS a while back. It can even recieve tilt controls if you want it to. I will take a look when I get home to see what the drivers were, but it was easy to set up and it works great.
#7 Posted by Scorpion1813 (5306 posts) -

A ps2 controller will if you get a usb converter for it.xmitchconnorx

Yeah I saw those and wondered "since the PS3 controllers are USB already, would it work?"

I set up my Mac Mini to run a SIXAXIS a while back. It can even recieve tilt controls if you want it to. I will take a look when I get home to see what the drivers were, but it was easy to set up and it works great.rragnaar

Thanks.

#8 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

Find the drivers, and it will work.

I'm sure someone's written them already.

#9 Posted by the_one34 (1105 posts) -
Yes, unless you have vista :(
#10 Posted by OneWingedAngeI (9448 posts) -

I set up my Mac Mini to run a SIXAXIS a while back. It can even recieve tilt controls if you want it to. I will take a look when I get home to see what the drivers were, but it was easy to set up and it works great.rragnaar

i dont suppose it would work wirelessly?

#11 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I set up my Mac Mini to run a SIXAXIS a while back. It can even recieve tilt controls if you want it to. I will take a look when I get home to see what the drivers were, but it was easy to set up and it works great.OneWingedAngeI

i dont suppose it would work wirelessly?

They are working on a bluetooth solution, but for now it is wired. It is kinda frustrating, but hopefully they fix it soon.

#12 Posted by OneWingedAngeI (9448 posts) -
i gotcha. a bluetooth method would rock, although i would imagine you need to re-sync back to the ps3 each time
#13 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
i gotcha. a bluetooth method would rock, although i would imagine you need to re-sync back to the ps3 each timeOneWingedAngeI

I would think so. Thankfully I've got a spare sixaxis that I keep plugged in to my Mac, so I haven't had to deal with it.
#14 Posted by Scorpion1813 (5306 posts) -

I don't mind using the wire. The situation is there is a computer lab at university set aside for gaming, and since I'm more of a PS3 gamer, I'm not used to the controls and such. I have the same game for PS3 so thought it might be a good idea to use a PS3 pad instead.

They are using Windows XP. Which drivers would I have to use in order to set it up? Or would it be blocked since it's on network? If so then I guess I'll just have to get used to K/M.

#15 Posted by Helghast_Merc (758 posts) -
Well, I did download a custom made driver and progan that would help me run the PS3 controler on my PC some time ago. I'm gonna do a little searching and see if I can find it.
#16 Posted by braindead_hero (1174 posts) -
yes it will you need to find some drivers and motion sensing does not work but everything else works fine
#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18529 posts) -

Yeah I saw those and wondered "since the PS3 controllers are USB already, would it work?"

Scorpion1813

I don't consider the Sixaxis a usb controller, it's a wireless controller. I'm positive the wire is for battery saving purposes only.

#18 Posted by Devouring_One (32311 posts) -
it can work if you install drivers
#19 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
[QUOTE="Scorpion1813"]

Black_Knight_00

I don't consider the Sixaxis a usb controller, it's a wireless controller. I'm positive the wire is for battery saving purposes only.

Actually, when I hook it up to my Mac it is only communicating through USB since I have no way to register it as a bluetooth device.
#20 Posted by Scorpion1813 (5306 posts) -

So it will work through USB, but I need to download drivers?? Which drivers and where can I find them?

#21 Posted by UT_Wrestler (16378 posts) -

There are ways to get a ps3 controller to work on a PC, but trust me, it's not worth the hassle. There's lots of console-style controllers you can buy that are specifically for the pc, though.

#22 Posted by c0keisbettr3 (23 posts) -

get the logitech chillstream xbox 360 controller. i dont even own a 360 but the thing is awesome on my comp. plus the fans in the controller are mega freakin sweet

#23 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18529 posts) -

Actually, when I hook it up to my Mac it is only communicating through USB since I have no way to register it as a bluetooth device.rragnaar

In that case, yes, but I think in its native setting, on the PS3, it's designed to be fully-wireless. I don't own one, so I may be wrong.

#24 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -
[QUOTE="Scorpion1813"]

Black_Knight_00

When you plug the USB port of a PS3 controller in it becomes a USB controller.

Note that this is not the same as the 360 wireless controller, which when you connect a USB plug and play kit simply acts as a recharger.

#25 Posted by Scorpion1813 (5306 posts) -

If it's really a lot of hassle, then I might as well not bother. Like I said it was inly so I could play on the PC's at uni, on a game I have on the PS3 (and know the buttons for), to save the having to get used to K/M and learn the controls.

Thanks anywa, though, much appreciated.

#26 Posted by mob4l (1 posts) -

Yes, unless you have vista :(the_one34

Actually I have Vista and it works with all the games I can set it up with, like GTA:4 and San Andreas, and some flight games.

#27 Posted by 69ANT69 (8474 posts) -
No.
#28 Posted by talool1 (107 posts) -

Yea, Officialy.

I personaly got Wii + 360 controls to PC n i got no X360(soon im gonna get also a PS3 one)

it wont be supported by(almost) any game(u can still map the keys in some games or use Keb+Mouse Emulation)

so-yea u can be its(almost)not officaly supported