Do you think the Dreamcast still holds up today?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Do you think that the SEGA Dreamcast still holds up by today's gaming standards? Why or why not?

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Hmm I do't know if it really does still. While I do enjoy the Dreamcast and at a time it was the hottest thing out there, that has long and faded. It had such great potential but Sega dumbed it too quick in my opinion. It's still fun to jump on every now and than and play it's unique and different but very few exclusives.

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

I don't know. But when I see that nowadays 3 hour long indy games without gameplay are considered "art" and worth 20 bucks, for example, or adventure games with more than one command are considered too complicated to control, I don't know if I'd even like to call the Dreamcast up to nowadays standard.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Absolutely. I'd much rather play Marvel vs. Capcom, Grandia II, RE: Code Veronica, Soul Calibur, Unreal Tournament, Gunbird 2, House of the Dead 2, etc., etc., etc. than I would the latest COD or FF.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#5 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I mean, the library holds.  It's just also available on every platform now.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Yeah, i think the Dreamcast is a great machine, especially if you've got friends over.

You've got quality party games like Bomberman Online ( forget the 'Online' thing, you can play it with friends locally just fine), Samba de Amigo, Power Stone 2 and Virtua Tennis. Fighting games like Rival Schools: Project Justice, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Virtua Fighter 3tb. Co-op games like Dynamite Cop, Cannon Spike, Under Defeat, House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission.

NeonNinja

I wouldn't say that, most of its games were ported to one, or two systems at most, not to every platform. It doesn't really matter if you don't have the platform(s) they're available on.

And fact of the matter is that they don't cease to exist on the Dreamcast, i'd rather just play them on the original hardware.

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

NeonNinja

Sturmwind is stil exclusive. ;)

Many games have been ported, but some are still left:

Crazy Taxi 2

Shenmue

Cosmic Smash

Outtrigger

D2

Illbleed

Giga Wing 1 & 2

Mars Matrix

Metropolis Street Racer

Record of Lodoss War

Toy Commander

Tech Romancer

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
If only it had had dual sticks.
xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

If only it had had dual sticks.ItsEvolution
This as well actually. Wasen't even thinking about the controller. For a 6th generation console, the controller is a bit outdated compared to the rest. It may of been released before the others but still, and the look of the console as well, just has that older look to it compared to the rest of the 6th gen.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's the only console I still have hooked up to the TV. I still play a few games that haven't been ported to the PC or had HD remasters such as...

• Toy Commander (I wish it was put on Steam!)
  • Crazy Taxi 2 (With the complete soundtrack!)
  • Resident Evil : Code Veronica (Sadly it never got put on Steam, not even the HD version)
  • Fur Fighters (Needs a remastered HD version on Steam)
  • Metropolis Street Racer (Awesome racing game)
  • Power Stone 1 & 2 (Needs a HD version with on-line play!)
  • Headhunter (Good TPS)

I wish they would create more ports in the same mannor they did for Sonic Adventure 2 & Jet Set Radio.
I think Shenmue 1&2 are already in the process of being ported. 

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Two of the best Godzilla games ever are on the system... So, yes.

darktoothxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darktoothxo
Member since 2003 • 97 Posts

There are still great games on the system worthy of today's standards. As for these HD releases, the original Dreamcast games are still superior. But for a list of awsome Dreamcast games..

Soul Calibur

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2

Dynamite Cop

Gauntlet Legends

Half-Life: Gold

HeadHunter

House of The Dead 2

Hydro Thunder

Jet Grind Radio

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Mortal Kombat Gold

Power Stone

Quake 3 Arena

Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1

Shenmue

Sonic Advanture 1 & 2

Zombie Revenge

WWF Royal Rumble

and all the street Fighters and more.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Do you think that the SEGA Dreamcast still holds up by today's gaming standards? Why or why not?

CaptainAhab13
I think it depends on the 'gaming standards' of the individual. I, for one, can have fun with simple games like Angry Birds, recently buying Duck Tales and the AVGN games on Steam, while I also enjoy a range of other games - like FPS, from Wolf 3D and Doom, on up to Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3. So, to stay on-topic, certain games on Dreamcast can still be fun to play today.
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts
Not on the original hardware.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

shenmue (2) alone is better than any game released since on whatever platform. there are also other timeless games like skies of arcadia and through vga it still looks incredible too, especially shenmue 2.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bultje112

shenmue (2) alone is better than any game released since on whatever platform. there are also other timeless games like skies of arcadia and through vga it still looks incredible too, especially shenmue 2.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7254 Posts
Yeah, it holds up. The Dreamcast had a lot of fast paced, arcade style games like Powerstone, Ikaruga and Chu Chu Rocket. Games like that were fun for fun's sake. They didn't need frequent cutscenes and Hollywood voice actors to distract you from gameplay. Plus, i would say it is better for local multiplayer than the modern systems.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bultje112

it's 100% the best multiplayer system still around, with games like rush 2049, which is the best multiplayer game I could ever dream of.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Great system with a unique library, similar to the n64 in certain regards. Sonic Adventure doesn't hold up too well, but games like Powerstone and Shenmue can't be played anywhere else.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Great system with a unique library, similar to the n64 in certain regards. Sonic Adventure doesn't hold up too well, but games like Powerstone and Shenmue can't be played anywhere else. Heirren

You can at least get Shenmue II on XBox. And it comes with an extra disc that puts all the cutscenes from the first game together into a movie format, so you can at least get the backstory of the first.

I know, not the same, but it's something at least for someone that only has a modern console.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Great system with a unique library, similar to the n64 in certain regards. Sonic Adventure doesn't hold up too well, but games like Powerstone and Shenmue can't be played anywhere else. Heirren

Power Stone is on the PSP, though it's not as fun. I wonder why Capcom haven't ported it to current systems yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think the Dreamcast could have held up for the rest of its generation if Sega had made better business decisions.

I think its SegaNet service would have been able to coexist with XBox Live because Sega made much different games than Microsoft, and its only real competition would have been with the XBox's broadband support (which most people didn't have then) and Halo 2. The Gamecube and PS2 just didn't utilize online very well, and didn't do a good job of marketing and supporting it.

I think if Sega were still making consoles today, and didn't have their big melt-down with the DC, that they would still have a lot to bring to the table. But it seems like they lost their creative spark after all of that happened. On the Dreamcast I still liked Sonic the Hedgehog, but nowadays I'm sick of him. I think they had a lot of other IPs that still haven't gotten the chance to flourish since that time.

Now Sega owns Atlus. That is probably the best move they've made in a while, but I wonder if it'll do much for the company. I sometimes ask myself if it's possible that Nintendo and Sega would consider merging into one entity, and I can kind of see that - though I wouldn't have thought that back in 2001!

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

I sitll use mine every other month or so. The loud and frequent disc reads are tough to overlook. Most games hold up extremely well, like Speed Devils, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Chu Chu Rocket, Skies of Arcadia, Space Ch. 5 (I could go on and on). The games that don;t hold up are things like PGR and Jetset Radio -- games that were flawed to begin with.

The biggest problem is the hardware. I have two, including one with less than 20 hours on it, and it's touch and go with them both in terms of disc reading errors. :(

violian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 violian
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

No. If I remember correctly, I picked up my Dreamcast on clearance for 1/2 off at Target ~2 years after the Dreamcast launched. That is a huge flop in the gaming industry. The PS2 was out ages ago and I've never seen a PS2 on clearance - in fact, you could still pick up a PS2 at Wal-Mart to this day. The Dreamcast's removeable game thing that goes into the controller was also gimmicky at best. I admit there were 4 or 5 games on the Dreamcast that were simply amazing - Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Sonic, etc. But you could get all of those games on the Xbox as well after the Dreamcast died.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Some of the games still hold up, but all of them, sans Shenmue, (the original) are on other platforms now. I do mean some, because the Sonic Adventures have aged terribly, they are neigh unplayable now.

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

Yes, most of the games are bright and colorful. 2nd, many have local multiplayer so you will have a blast with family and friends.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Yep. It has a respectable library that is still fun to this day.

It's probably the console that I go back to the most as far as retro gaming goes.