Do you think GTA V Online is Overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ross_9Lives (25 posts) -

From what I played of the online gameplay is good but not great. I bought Grand Theft Auto V hoping it'd be kind of like SAMP. But then again, I should of watched a review or something. Anyway, what do you guys think about it?

#2 Posted by jasean79 (2458 posts) -

I think all GTA games are overrated. Don't get me wrong, they're a blast to play and there's so much to do to keep you busy for hours, but I don't think they're as "revolutionary" as they're made out to be, at least not anymore.

The online component was just okay for me. I think there's a lot of things about it that are broken, but it's alright. I wouldn't buy the game just for the MP, though.

#3 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (10129 posts) -

Considering the hate it gets, I consider it under-rated. I had tons of fun just messing around the environment, doing stunts, and crashing planes. Even a race or mission here and there.

Hint for GTA Online players looking a good place for cop shootout: The tunnel you enter during the escape after the first heist mission right off the freeway downtown is an excellent place for chaos. Go into the tunnel, park your car, get into cover, and fire off rockets into freeway traffic. Execllent place to blow up cop cars.

#4 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3398 posts) -

GTA O sucks ass

The sp is great though,a bit short but still great

#5 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6048 posts) -

Absolutely not. GTA Online is hands down the best open world multiplayer game to date. Nothing keeps me playing hour after hour like hanging out with my friends, robbing liquor stores, knocking over armored cars, gang attacks and hunting bounties.

Sure, if you find yourself in a bad lobby, you could end up dying over and over again, but all you've got to do is either flee the area or just find a new game.

#6 Edited by Zjun (145 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Considering the hate it gets, I consider it under-rated. I had tons of fun just messing around the environment, doing stunts, and crashing planes. Even a race or mission here and there.

Hint for GTA Online players looking a good place for cop shootout: The tunnel you enter during the escape after the first heist mission right off the freeway downtown is an excellent place for chaos. Go into the tunnel, park your car, get into cover, and fire off rockets into freeway traffic. Execllent place to blow up cop cars.

@El_Zo1212o said:

Absolutely not. GTA Online is hands down the best open world multiplayer game to date. Nothing keeps me playing hour after hour like hanging out with my friends, robbing liquor stores, knocking over armored cars, gang attacks and hunting bounties.

Sure, if you find yourself in a bad lobby, you could end up dying over and over again, but all you've got to do is either flee the area or just find a new game.

#7 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

In fairness, none of the professional reviewers factored GTA Online into their GTA5 scores because it launched after the game shipped.

#8 Edited by Kevlar101 (6284 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I think all GTA games are overrated. Don't get me wrong, they're a blast to play and there's so much to do to keep you busy for hours, but I don't think they're as "revolutionary" as they're made out to be, at least not anymore.

Pretty much this. I have a lot of fun with GTA (I have GTA4 and GTA5), but as a whole, their mission design is pretty repetitive, and the pre-GTA5 gameplay was really shitty (luckily that's been hugely improved though). They can be pretty boring, honestly. This is almost the exact opposite of another Rockstar title.... Red Dead Redemption. I went in to GTA5 expecting it to be another RDR-type experience in terms of quality. But, all they really used from RDR was the gameplay. IMO, they didn't invest nearly enough of RDRs mechanics as they should have.

That's my totally off-topic rant. I have absolutely zero experience with GTA Online so I got nothing to say about that.

:P

#9 Posted by marcheegsr (3018 posts) -

I put about 70 hours into the online portion so I can't say anything bad about it. Considering that its not even the main focus of GTA 5, its pretty good.

#10 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1366 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Considering the hate it gets, I consider it under-rated.

I consider GTA V to be an underrated game in general, yeah, sure, it got plenty of 9/10 scores (not that many 10/10s unlike GTA IV, a game which I was disappointed with since it was stripped down for story) but it gets the most hate I have ever seen (not just for GTA V, but for any game) on GTA Forums. The hate that GTA V gets is the prime example of everything wrong with the modern gaming industry.

@El_Zo1212o said:

Absolutely not. GTA Online is hands down the best open world multiplayer game to date. Nothing keeps me playing hour after hour like hanging out with my friends, robbing liquor stores, knocking over armored cars, gang attacks and hunting bounties.

Sure, if you find yourself in a bad lobby, you could end up dying over and over again, but all you've got to do is either flee the area or just find a new game.

Agreed 100%, things have gotten a lot better since Rockstar fixed the money hacks (I actually liked the money hacks but the amount of tanks in servers ruined things) and i'm playing solo, I would like it even more if I new someone with the game on PS3, everyone I know either has it on Xbox 360 or doesn't have it at all.

#11 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

Overrated? I thought everyone thinks it's terrible. Because it is. Everything that kept me playing GTA IV online nearly every day for close to a year is gone in favor of a system that makes it tough to play the mode you want and has that idiotic free roam with jerks roaming about in tanks.

#12 Posted by Wallyh08 (535 posts) -

I think the whole game was slightly overrated. It could just be my love for SA pushing through, but I just didn't enjoy the SP as much as any of the other episodes - especially Vice City! I feel the series has become too serious - yes, there, I said it - from the likes of Liberty City.

As for the MP, I spent 10 hours at the most trying, pushing myself to enjoy it but I just couldn't. Time went by slowly and I was happy to trade it in towards my eventual purchase of a PS4.

I can see people having a blast on it with IRL friends but for me, no thanks! I'm not even sure if I will be buying the next GTA right off the bat - I guess i'm losing faith in some ways.

On the other hand, i'd love another RDR and would like some news on this 'Agent' game Rockstar were talking about a while back.

#13 Posted by Ross_9Lives (25 posts) -

The fact that not one of my friends own it. Doesn't help me enjoy the full experience it has to offer. I don't think that jet was necessary to put into it though. Online has it ups and downs from what I played so far! I hope my friends get it. T-T