Do you savor the flavor or beat new game ASAP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by k41m (720 posts) -

Just curious to see if there's anybody else that's like me ;D ..Unless I'm completely bored and have nothing to do I will usually savor a good game (Dead Space series, Skyrim, WC3.. I could go on all day) and try my best not to beat it too quickly. For me beating a game with a fantastic SP Campaign is bittersweet, I'm glad I finished it but I am sad that the joy of playing it for the first time is gone.

#2 Posted by sonictrainer (15182 posts) -

It depends on the type of game I'm playing and what features it has.

#3 Posted by tempura13 (406 posts) -
@k41m said:

For me beating a game with a fantastic SP Campaign is bittersweet, I'm glad I finished it but I am sad that the joy of playing it for the first time is gone.

Same! I would usually distract myself by doing optional quests and other things to inflate my playthrough. Anticipation builds up until I decide to push through the game, especially at the final parts. And when the game finally comes to a closure, I only have a moment to relish my thoughts and feelings as I knew that it won't be the same anymore when played the second time.

#4 Edited by Ariabed (1094 posts) -

I don't like to rush games, you have to pay x amount for a game so why rush it and prob miss out on something cool cos u rushed past it. Saying that, I only play games of good length that make u think before you act eg stealth games Rpg's or open world, basically non linear games that u can take your time with.

#5 Posted by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

Being a completionist I usually savor the flavor and try to do everything before beating it.

There are some games i just beat fast then go back and do all the side shit provided it is worthwhile.

#6 Edited by Grieverr (2544 posts) -

For the most part, I like to take my time. I was that guy playing Final Fantasy who would hug the walls pressing a button in hopes of finding hidden items! Even in a first person shooter, I'll explore an entire area before moving on.

That said, when I get near the end of a game (or when I think I'm near), I feel this rush to beat the game as fast as possible, as though if I don't hurry the bad guy will get away!!

#7 Posted by marcheegsr (2427 posts) -

I defiantly take my time unless midway through the game I start to realize I don't like it so much. Then I might rush through it for the sake of just completing it.

#8 Posted by SoNin360 (5198 posts) -

I generally take my time, but if it's a linear game, there's not much opportunity to spend a bunch of extra time with it. For open world games, I tend to explore the game a lot before beating the main story. But for games I'm not caring too much for the story and just want to complete everything, I'll pick up the pace.

#9 Edited by Eikichi-Onizuka (8020 posts) -

This, and also how many games in the backlog I have waiting to be played.

#10 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25417 posts) -

I haven't finished GTA 5 four months later. I don't think I'm even halfway.

But for something linear and short I'll likely get it over and done with pretty quickly. Insert that's what she said joke.

#11 Posted by yngsten (182 posts) -

Yes, however it depends on the game and what the side content is. Really great games I tend to savor, those that got not much else to them but a great story to tell, often makes me go straight for the ending, not because it is boring, but because it's the only thing I find enthraling about it. Games I don't like I quit and uninstall.

#12 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

Usually if I've been hyped for awhile I like to take my time with it.

Games with stories that get my attention kinda get blasted through a bit too much because I want to see it through.

#13 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I typically try to take a more leisurely approach. Enjoying my time as I go.

If it's a game that a lot of people are talking about, something big and popular and a game that I want to be part of the conversation about, I can occasionally stick to the main story and see it through quickly. But if it's that good, I'll almost always start over and take it slower once the threat of spoilers is abated. There are times when talking about games with like minded fans can be as rewarding as playing the games themselves. I wouldn't say it could cause me to rush, but it can make me focus on the main story and avoid padded side quests or collectible until later.

99 times out of 100 though, I like to take my time and enjoy myself rather than rushing.

#14 Posted by Netret0120 (1886 posts) -

I love to take my sweet time. If there is MP, I will play that and do a few missions at a time. When i finished GTA 5 for the 1st time the feeling was bittersweet.

I don't see the point in spending $60 on a game and beating it in 2 days and be done with it.

#15 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18057 posts) -

I used to work in 3D design, so I like to stop and zoom in on things to see how they were modeled, especially in first person games. Does that answer your question? ;)

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

Yup, same here. If it is story driven and there are trophies that are doable, then i will savor it. But mostly there aren't games like that. So i just go through them

#17 Edited by loafofgame (370 posts) -
@k41m said:

For me beating a game with a fantastic SP Campaign is bittersweet, I'm glad I finished it but I am sad that the joy of playing it for the first time is gone.

Same! I would usually distract myself by doing optional quests and other things to inflate my playthrough. Anticipation builds up until I decide to push through the game, especially at the final parts. And when the game finally comes to a closure, I only have a moment to relish my thoughts and feelings as I knew that it won't be the same anymore when played the second time.

Pretty much this. Although sometimes taking my sweet time in the first playthrough keeps me from playing it another time. With Fallout 3 and New Vegas for example my first playthrough was so thorough that afterwards I couldn't play it again to see the other storylines, because I had simply gotten tired of the gameplay at that point.

This sometimes happens during the first playthrough aswell. In DE:HR I would explore every corner and, for example, drag boxes from all over town just to get over that fence that you're really only meant to pass with the advanced jump. I also had this urge to run back and forth collecting all weapons and ammo to sell them; or to hide all bodies in the same place. Not healthy, I know. And it really destroys the desire to play the game another time.

#18 Edited by sukraj (21604 posts) -

I allways take my time when I'm playing videogames I got to savour the moment.

#19 Edited by k41m (720 posts) -

Glad to see theres more Gamers like me then I thought ;D

#20 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5458 posts) -

Yeah it depends... If I've been looking forward to a game for a while, and it's good, I try to take my time with it. But a lot of the time that doesn't happen and I end up finishing it really quickly because it's so good.

#21 Posted by lumzi32 (326 posts) -

It depends on how much stuff there is to do outside of the main quest and how much of that stuff is interesting.

#22 Edited by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

i try and savor the sights, graphics, and gameplay of every game i buy. why wouldn't you? if you just speed run through it you're wasting your money imo.

#23 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6611 posts) -

I generally never rush through my games, I like to take my time and ration out the play time. I played a game for a MAXIMUM of 3-4 hours a day when it is brand new, so a typical campaign takes about an entire weekend for me. Definitely not one of those types who completes a game in one sitting.

#24 Edited by VERTIGO47 (6240 posts) -

@sukraj said:

I allways take my time when I'm playing videogames I got to savour the moment.

#25 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Pretty much the same way.

#26 Posted by Necroplazma (29 posts) -

If its a good game, I always try to savor it since I want the experience to last as long as possible. It just blows when great games end too soon.

#27 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2806 posts) -

Usually I like to beat a game asap, but not try to rush through it all. I'll probably play nothing, but that one game until it is done. Then I see if their is anything extra I can enjoy out of it like open end extras, extra difficulties with enjoyable game play, and some sort of re playable function with a prize at the end.

#28 Posted by MasterTankallex (94 posts) -

I savor the game, which is probably why my pile of unbeaten games is growing.

#29 Edited by coasterguy65 (5721 posts) -

It depends on the game, but most of the time I'd rather explore and savor the game.

#30 Edited by sukraj (21604 posts) -

I love exploring in open world games.

#31 Posted by Korvus (2353 posts) -

Great story/bad gameplay - Rush non-narrative content and go at it like an interactive movie.

Great gameplay/bad story - Spend a little more time play around trying to forget the story is bad but normally end up bored and rushing.

Great story/great gameplay - Savour it for all that it's worth. First I do all the side-quests, get all the collectibles, level up my char as much as I can and leave the main storyline for last.

#32 Edited by Archangel3371 (15145 posts) -

I'm probably somewhere in the middle as most games I'll start off savouring them but then I'll usually end up trying to finish it up quickly because:

• I've lost interest and just want to move on
  • I've become really engrossed in the story or some other aspect and want to see what happens next
  • another game has piqued my interest and I want to start playing it
#33 Posted by Jared_Bodner (10 posts) -

Most action based, shooting games and stuff with lots of checkpoints I tear through real fast. Games that have longer missions with strategy to them though, if I screw up and die I have to take a break and think about it more and only play a little bit each day. I guess the closer together checkpoints/save points are then the faster I finish the game.

#34 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8574 posts) -

I'm a completionist that likes to get the credits out of the way pretty quickly so that I can start REALLY enjoying a game as soon as possible.

However, open world games that I enjoy like Red Dead Redemption and AC4 are games I tried 100%ing as I went along.

#35 Posted by Jacanuk (3636 posts) -

@k41m said:

Just curious to see if there's anybody else that's like me ;D ..Unless I'm completely bored and have nothing to do I will usually savor a good game (Dead Space series, Skyrim, WC3.. I could go on all day) and try my best not to beat it too quickly. For me beating a game with a fantastic SP Campaign is bittersweet, I'm glad I finished it but I am sad that the joy of playing it for the first time is gone.

With how few good games that comes out i always take my time, also since i rarely which means pretty much means always don't replay a game once its done, i take the time i can in a game.

I will do it quick unless its a game i dont like and just want to put it up on the completed wall instead of having it linger.