Do you research a game b4 you buy it????

• 55 results
#1 Edited by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

Do you properly investigate a game before you purchase, or do you just browse the shelves in a game store and buy what you like the look of?

EDIT:

How do you do your research, do any of you still get gaming magazines or do you just use interwebs?

#2 Posted by osan0 (12684 posts) -

usually i do research. i mean it can be 60 quid for a game....not a massive expense but not throw away money either.

sometimes i do take a punt on an unknown though. i have been burned by doing this sometimes but i also found some cracking games.

#3 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15971 posts) -

@ariabed said:

Do you properly investigate a game before you purchase, or do you just browse the shelves in a game store and buy what you like the look of?

Always even if I have no plans to buy the game. Then, when I decide to make an impulse buy at the store, it's usually a game I've already done research on.

#4 Posted by SoNin360 (5438 posts) -

Yeah, I always give it plenty of thought before buying a game. I don't just buy games on a whim, although some games I have given less thought than others. But I'm not going to buy a game without seeing some gameplay, playing a demo, or reading up on a bit.

#5 Posted by groowagon (2798 posts) -

i always research. too many bad games out there, and too little time to play even all the great ones.

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

@ariabed said:

Yep, i research all games i buy, i also go visit the studio and have a chat with developers.

Or more serious not really, its just a game and the games i'm not sure about i pick up in a sale.

#7 Edited by kingcrimson24 (458 posts) -

I usually look around game websites and If I find a game interesting , I'll read some reviews and if I like it , I'll buy it .

and I don't usually buy games at full 60$ price

#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (29597 posts) -

Research is a must.

#9 Edited by Qixote (10694 posts) -

Of course we do. Most of us try not to be idiots.

#10 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25643 posts) -

I like to have an idea of what I'm getting while at the same time avoiding too many in-depth previews and gameplay videos. This way is the happy medium.

#11 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17113 posts) -

Yeah, I do a lot actually. I don't have much time to play, and I don't care about having huge libraries, so I'm really particular about which games I decide to buy.

#12 Edited by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

Research is a must.

And why is that? because you dont have a job and 60$ is a lot of money or ?

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (29597 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Research is a must.

Because I'm not a douche who thinks $60 is throw away money.

#14 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5959 posts) -

Yeah definitely do abit of research before a purchase... It's very rare that I buy a game straight from the shelf.

#15 Edited by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

@Qixote: Of course we do. Most of us try not to be idiots.

what's idiotic about passing a games shop deciding to go in, browsing the pre owned games and buying a cheap game you like the look of.

#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (15480 posts) -

I follow gaming pretty closing so I usually know what games I want before they're released.

#17 Posted by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Research is a must.

Ahh, mature answer mate.

Anyways of course you don't need to do "research" its a game so like how you decide to watch a movie, a trailer is enough, besides its just money and i would rather spend 60$ on a wrong game than a night out on the town or other useless junk.

#18 Posted by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

@ariabed said:

what's idiotic about passing a games shop deciding to go in, browsing the pre owned games and buying a cheap game you like the look of.

Spot on, or buy a bundle because the games seem good, by watching the trailer and nothing else.

But i can understand when you're young and don't have a lot of money it makes sense to spend more time since a game is more of a investment.

But when you're older and have a good job or student with a decent income, games are no more a investment than buying a pack of smokes, beer or a starbucks coffee. And who researches that or where to buy a pizza?

#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16710 posts) -

Almost never buy games on a whim. If I buy a game, there's a very good chance I've done a lot of research about it before hand.

#20 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17113 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

@ariabed said:

Spot on, or buy a bundle because the games seem good, by watching the trailer and nothing else.

But i can understand when you're young and don't have a lot of money it makes sense to spend more time since a game is more of a investment.

But when you're older and have a good job or student with a decent income, games are no more a investment than buying a pack of smokes, beer or a starbucks coffee. And who researches that or where to buy a pizza?

I don't know why you're trying to make this into a financial thing. Some people, honestly, don't like being loose with money, and they don't want to blow it on things without knowing they're going to like it first. Rather than looking mature, you're coming off like a kid that just earned his first payday.

#21 Posted by DDYaya (9 posts) -

Yes, of course.

Before I get a game I usually search up playthroughs, reviews and more. A person I know got Bioshock Infinite before researching, but he did play the previous games, and the game is amazing. So either player prequels to the game or I do my research.

#22 Posted by Mesomorphin (821 posts) -

Depends how much iam about to blow on a game, sometimes I like to go in blind

#23 Posted by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@ariabed said:

I don't know why you're trying to make this into a financial thing. Some people, honestly, don't like being loose with money, and they don't want to blow it on things without knowing they're going to like it first. Rather than looking mature, you're coming off like a kid that just earned his first payday.

What are you talking about?

Of course this is a financial thing, what else would it be? because in the end no amount of "research" can substitute actually playing the game. Which in itself is a stupid term to use. because i bet that most peoples "research" is reading a review or two, which is just pointless BS. since no one can tell me what i like or dont like. And watching a trailer or 2 is even more pointless since most trailers never really show actual gameplay and the ones that do, show fixed situations that dont tell one bit about the game.

So why would anyone spend time on pointless things instead of just buying the game and trying it out and the worst thing that can happen is that you have bought a game that you do not like. And before anyone claim "oh i can tell by reading a review or because i watched a trailer" no thats BS, thats like hearing a kid saying they can't eat their veggies because they look bad.

#24 Posted by Glitter (353 posts) -

I do, but I have not done much research on Child of Light yet and when Mighty No. 9 comes out, I will probably have to do little to no research as I will feel it is worth getting even if it is considered bad.

#26 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17113 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Jacanuk said:

@ariabed said:

Of course this is a financial thing, what else would it be? because in the end no amount of "research" can substitute actually playing the game. Which in itself is a stupid term to use. because i bet that most peoples "research" is reading a review or two, which is just pointless BS. since no one can tell me what i like or dont like. And watching a trailer or 2 is even more pointless since most trailers never really show actual gameplay and the ones that do, show fixed situations that dont tell one bit about the game.

So why would anyone spend time on pointless things instead of just buying the game and trying it out and the worst thing that can happen is that you have bought a game that you do not like. And before anyone claim "oh i can tell by reading a review or because i watched a trailer" no thats BS, thats like hearing a kid saying they can't eat their veggies because they look bad.

You can do what works for you, but to assume it's a financial issue for everyone that doesn't think like you is pretty damn immature. There's a thing called "value," and part of being mature is recognizing that the value of stuff varies from person to person. Myself, for example, I could buy thousands of games per year, but that doesn't mean I want to. In fact, I really don't want to because I don't value spending a lot of money on toys like video games, especially crappy ones, and so I watch gameplay videos or reviews from CGR before I make my call. I've been playing long enough by this point to recognize what I like from watching footage of games in action, and I don't need to play them to confirm it. There's nothing bullshit about it either, it's just the truth. So again, you're coming off like a kid that wants to flaunt his cash if this type of thinking is flying over your head.

#27 Edited by SaintsRowLA (54 posts) -

@ariabed:

Primarily: I research a game by watching review videos from a few different websites, read several user reviews from a few websites, play a demo if possible, and watch several game play videos if available.

I might do these options too: I might rent if from GameFly or elsewhere. Or if it's an older game, I might buy it used at GameStop and exchange it for something else if I don't like it (I'm not into buying used games too much. I like to support the game developers by buying new).

#28 Posted by santoron (7717 posts) -

Definitely. Even if it's a quick scan of a review or two while standing in a store, I never buy anymore without a decent rundown of what to expect.

#29 Posted by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Jacanuk said:

@ariabed said:

You can do what works for you, but to assume it's a financial issue for everyone that doesn't think like you is pretty damn immature. There's a thing called "value," and part of being mature is recognizing that the value of stuff varies from person to person. Myself, for example, I could buy thousands of games per year, but that doesn't mean I want to. In fact, I really don't want to because I don't value spending a lot of money on toys like video games, especially crappy ones, and so I watch gameplay videos or reviews from CGR before I make my call. I've been playing long enough by this point to recognize what I like from watching footage of games in action, and I don't need to play them to confirm it. There's nothing bullshit about it either, it's just the truth. So again, you're coming off like a kid that wants to flaunt his cash if this type of thinking is flying over your head.

Ok, so you really want to claim that you can value a game by not playing it? or are we over in the "dark side" section also when you "research" a game.

Also games are not toys its a entertainment source equal to movies, books, comics, tv-shows so drop your arrogant attitude which just comes of totally wrong when you at the same time talks about you "research games" But again of course its about finances you can keep claiming otherwise and have fun with that. in the end i couldn't care less

#30 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17113 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Jacanuk said:

@ariabed said:

Ok, so you really want to claim that you can value a game by not playing it? or are we over in the "dark side" section also when you "research" a game.

Also games are not toys its a entertainment source equal to movies, books, comics, tv-shows so drop your arrogant attitude which just comes of totally wrong when you at the same time talks about you "research games" But again of course its about finances you can keep claiming otherwise and have fun with that. in the end i couldn't care less

Uh, why not? If you can't tell whether you'll like something without having to blow money first, I don't know what tell you. It's certainly not hard for the majority of us.

So are toys not entertainment devices? Do you really think there is some sort of prestige in watching tv or in reading a book? More importantly, who cares what I call them? But wait, I'm the arrogant one, right? I mean, I'm the one questioning people here for not having much money or good enough jobs because they don't want to waste 60 bucks. Oh wait. I guess focusing on something irrelevant is all you can do after having your bullshit called out. It's understandable.

#31 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3569 posts) -

I read reviews and stuff like everyone but if its a type of game I really like even really low scores will take a really long look at it, especially if I can find someone else who liked the game then that helps me decide.

Most constant terrible reviews was on Jagged Alliance BiA, its true that the game is not a great remake because it doesn't retell the story at all well and lacks the personality of JA2, but the gameplay design was a good with its differences that expands on the old game without just copying it like other remakes do.

You have to go with your gut on some games and use experience you've learned from other games you've played. You may get burned sometimes but other times you find something worth it. If its a sequel to a game i already really liked, its almost a certain buy, even if its not perfect. Thats why pretty much anything that resembles jagged alliance i'll get no matter what.

#32 Edited by vickyjohn1 (36 posts) -

I always used to watch reviews for the game which i like to purchase except GTA , NFS, SLEEPING DOGS kinds of games...

#33 Edited by Bigboi500 (29597 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Research is a must.

Ahh, mature answer mate.

Anyways of course you don't need to do "research" its a game so like how you decide to watch a movie, a trailer is enough, besides its just money and i would rather spend 60$ on a wrong game than a night out on the town or other useless junk.

Problem is, a LOT of games are just that, useless junk. I'm not going to reward lazy developers for making unoriginal garbage that's not worth spit.

Attacking people for having different mind-sets than you about value, calling them jobless etc is the pinnacle of immaturity. You know what they say: "a fool and his money are soon parted".

#34 Edited by Torres_ (59 posts) -

For me, time is money. There are sooo many great games out there that I just can't play because I don't have the time to do it. I would have to quit my job and get a divorce to be able to play all the games I'd like. And since I haven't had the time, the second-hand market is full of fantastic options. And that is why I research. 20-40€ is nothing.

For example, right now I'm looking for a jrpg, which I haven't played in many many years, besides Tactics Ogre on my PSP. All jrpg's are very time consuming and I really want to be sure when I finally come to a decision.

#35 Edited by thereal25 (401 posts) -

Yes I always read player reviews and such, but at the same time I have my own bias - which usually means favouring game series that I've supported in the past.

#36 Edited by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Thing is, even if everyone had the spare money you may have, If I were to spend 40GBP on a game and ended up hating it it would of though "Wow, I could of bought _____ with that". Not "Oh well, it's only 40GBP".

Yes, it can come down to finance but it also comes down to it's worth. Like was Resident Evil 6 worth 40? Hell no. And I saved 40 by skipping it. Was Syndicate worth 40? To me, only 15. And I got it for 10. Was Fallout: New Vegas worth 40? Not to me. And I felt a punch to the gut when I cleared the main quest and explored loads of the Mohave.

Worth.

By the way, talking about money as if it were toilet paper makes you sound like a jerk. There are people who try their hardest for an income and still struggle. Jobs aren't easy to come by these days.

#37 Edited by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

@Torres_: see a guy like you who's probably missed out on a whole load of games would probably benefit more by going down to a game store and browsing the pre owned shelves for hidden gems, that you otherwise might miss out on bcos no one on internet will be talking about it anymore bcos it will be old news..

#38 Posted by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

@iamllamapie: very true some people can afford to waste £40 or $60 on a game but for some people that amount of money is out of their budget and if they are on a budget I guess they can't afford to waste money on something they won't enjoy.

#39 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

I do. And steam reviews also helps a lot.

#40 Edited by donalbane (16250 posts) -

I research EVERYTHING before I buy it. Especially games... I use the internet primarily, but also check Game Informer and PC Gamer, to which I subscribe. YouTube is a great tool for deciding... the rise of 'Let's Play' videos helps a whole lot when you are on the fence.

#41 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11463 posts) -

Research ? Thats an Understatement for what I really do.

Eversince Bioshock Infinite I get all "CSI" when I want to buy a game, I give it the Full body inspection ! I will lay all its secrets bare !..... I did this with President Evil 6 and Bought it anyway. :)

#42 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11463 posts) -

Research ? Thats an Understatement for what I really do.

Eversince Bioshock Infinite I get all "CSI" when I want to buy a game, I give it the Full body inspection ! I will lay all its secrets bare !..... I did this with President Evil 6 and Bought it anyway. :)

#43 Edited by CrimsonBrute (23405 posts) -

Really depends on the game. Games like Mass Effect 3 and Saints Row 3 were day 1 purchases because I know what to expect. If the games are new IP or a game series I never played before, I will wait for reviews from sites and regular gamers and research what the game has to offer in terms of gameplay and the general experience that I may have.

#44 Posted by Jacanuk (4325 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Thing is, even if everyone had the spare money you may have, If I were to spend 40GBP on a game and ended up hating it it would of though "Wow, I could of bought _____ with that". Not "Oh well, it's only 40GBP".

Yes, it can come down to finance but it also comes down to it's worth. Like was Resident Evil 6 worth 40? Hell no. And I saved 40 by skipping it. Was Syndicate worth 40? To me, only 15. And I got it for 10. Was Fallout: New Vegas worth 40? Not to me. And I felt a punch to the gut when I cleared the main quest and explored loads of the Mohave.

Worth.

By the way, talking about money as if it were toilet paper makes you sound like a jerk. There are people who try their hardest for an income and still struggle. Jobs aren't easy to come by these days.

I am a student so dont think i am saying that 40£ are pocket change, but in honesty you are a idiot if you pay full price for a game these days, unless you absolute cannot wait and buy it on release day, which i admit there are some games i also do that with.

So if you think like that do you also think like that about all the junk you buy during a week, coffee, candy, junkfood, beer, alchohol, etc. which in total i bet could buy you more than just 1 game?

Also its fun to hear people define looking at a website and reading some random nobody on a gaming mediasite as "researching a game" i would never be able to do that, infact its almost a stamp of approval when they dont like a game.

But yes i know people are struggling, still doesnt change the fact that these people also buy junkfood, beer, smokes and other useless things.

#45 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Who doesn't?

#46 Edited by BigCat2K20 (247 posts) -

Definitely. I do it by watching review videos & playing demos. In other times, I'd rent the game.

#47 Posted by yngsten (204 posts) -

Always. The older I get, the more researh. When I was a kid I could buy games more randomly.

#48 Posted by sukraj (22566 posts) -

I do research before I buy a game.

#49 Posted by intotheminx (598 posts) -

I'll watch some gameplay videos and get a gist of the story before I make a leap. If it appeals to me enough I'll jump in. I don't base my purchases off reviews or even read them because they are someone else's opinion that may vary greatly from my tastes etc.

#50 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71183 posts) -

Hell yeah i do, i watch reviews or watch gameplay to make up my mind