Do you purchase most games ONLINE?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SummerHillard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SummerHillard
Member since 2011 • 414 Posts

It seems like more and more people are ordering games online from retailers and marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay, Buy.com, and online versions of Best Buy, Walmart, Target, GameStop,etc., rather than picking up games from a local store.

When Amazon offers $0 tax and free shipping on any orders above $24, plus lower prices than all the other guys to begin with, it's no wonder that at least 85% of my games come from Amazon alone.

However, there is a concern that I've been thinking about recently regarding ordering games online instead of picking them up at a store. If you think about it, most retailers ship games in those small boxes or even just one of those large envelope things. Same goes for random people you might buy from off eBay or something similar.

Well, it seems to me like during shipment, wouldn't the carrier (USPS, UPS, Fedex, or whatever) be throwing those packages in with all the other packages and pieces of mail that they're shipping? It seems to me that it would be very likely that your package could be crushed under tens of pounds of mail or even other large boxes/packages.

Could this damage the game disc before it ever reaches your home? I mean, yes, I'm sure the case offers some protection, but when it gets piled under a bunch of other "stuff" during shipping, I worry about the case getting crushed under the weight (and subsequently, the game disc). Most retailers I purchase ship using those small boxes that are practically the same size and shape as the game cases, so they would offer no protection, as they are easily crushed as well. And certain retailers, such as Buy.com, or most people you would buy from off of eBay or something like that, would most likely ship using those thin, envelope things ... they might as well stick a shipping label on the game case itself and not even bother to package it.

I've never heard of games getting damaged this way during shipping, but when I think about it ... it seems it could easily happen. Such a large volume of packages and mail that these carriers are shipping, it would be ridiculous to assume that they aren't stacking everything on top of everything else in order to save space.

Another issue with ordering games online and getting them shipped to you ... is the possibility of exposure to extreme temperatures. Most people probably wouldn't get their mail till late in the day. By that time, your package could have been sitting in the mailbox or on your front porch for HOURS, during which time it could have been exposed to high temperatures or even direct sunlight baking it (in the summer), or low, freezing temperatures (in the winter). This CAN'T be good for the disc, can it?

Seems like short of buying all your games in-store, there's really nothing you can do to avoid these issues when buying games online.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

So far you have posted entire topics dedicated to Sticky Boxes, Games growing Mold on them, The Potential for Stacks of Dishes falling on your System, The Weight of an HDMI cable and how you feel it is damaging your System and the possibility of Various Systems Scratching their own discs. I'm sorry if you REALLY are this Obsessive Compulsive and are compelled to worry THIS much about every little thing, but this is getting to be too much. We really don't need to hear about every single one of your phobias. Either Blog It, please, or find a safe, non-threatening, less worrying hobby. Maybe bird-watching or stamp collecting?

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
I buy from both stores and online.
bluelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bluelf
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts
Considering I live literary right next door to a gamestop and a local gamestore, I have no reason to buy games online usually.
fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

Only games I buy from stores are from midnight releases.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Game boxes are pretty durable (especially compared to CD jewel cases) and I haven't had any break on me during shipping - and I've ordered a lot. It's definitely low on my list of concerns with ordering online. My only real concern is how long it'll take to get to me, but that's usually offset by cheaper prices and/or preorder discounts. Having said that, I generally buy most older games in retail stores because you tend to stumble across old discounted stock easier that way.
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

I only ever buy downloadable games online, I go to the store for everything else.

I'm sorry but I didn't read your text wall either

SuperFudd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperFudd
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I prefer to buy mine at nearby Best Buy and Game Stop but in recent years I mostly order online since I am into Trainz and you rarely find the current verion in stores.
mariomanxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 mariomanxxx
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts

I never bought a game online, only ordered it online.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#10 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Most people probably wouldn't get their mail till late in the day. By that time, your package could have been sitting in the mailbox or on your front porch for HOURS, during which time it could have been exposed to high temperatures or even direct sunlight baking it (in the summer), or low, freezing temperatures (in the winter). This CAN'T be good for the disc, can it?

SummerHillard

I buy my games in store most of the time. The only time I buy games online is when I see them cheap or games I'll import if it's not getting released in my country.

Anyway you mentioned postmen/postwomen leaving mail out side that doesn't happen here as it gets taken back to the post office for you to go and collect and if it did I wouldn't be happy because it would end up getting stolen.

aca247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aca247
Member since 2010 • 206 Posts

Until it happens DONT WORRY ABOUT IT, the usps, ups, and fedex have been doing this since before you were born Im sure they have it under control

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#12 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I'd say almost half my game purchases are downloadable games.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
The only games I buy online are older games that I can't find in-store.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
I buy almost exclusively from Amazon
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#15 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
I used to purchase games primarily from stores (GameStop, Wal-Mart, etc) but now I only purchase online. Mostly Amazon or eBay.
Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Buying online was a uncomprehensible thing back in the past, so one of my first purchases was a sound card for my pc (used). The package was bad and the drivers cd broke during the trip. Still i downloaded the drivers online and had no problem whatsoever with it.

Now i buy everything online, MUCH cheaper prices (even if it's new) and only problems i had so far was 2 lost games (refunded by amazon, both by amazon as well...) but that hasn't discouraged me from buying online. I can see you worrying but honestly so far it has been worth the risk.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
All of my pre-orders are done on Amazon, though buying old ones tends to be mix and match with sometimes buying online, sometimes in a shop.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I order most of my games online. Guaranteed first day in and nowadays also exclusive content for pre-ordering.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I much prefer going to the store to buy games. I buy most of my games online now because I don't live near any stores, but I won't have to worry about that soon since I'm moving.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
i like to buy my games at the local store. it's nice to have that game in your hand so you never lose it.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I buy about 95% of my games from Amazon. Never had any problems with receiving a damaged game or box. I've ordered hundreds of DVD's online, and there have been a few cases where the disk came loose inside the box and got all scratched up, but every one has always played just fine. I did have a 4 disk DVD set get it's box crushed in the mail. The disks were okay, but now I've got to get a replacement box.

Considering that some brick-and-mortar retailers let their employees take the games home and play them, then sell them as new, I think I'll stick to Amazon. Lower prices, free shipping and no tax. And the games are actually still in the shrink-wrap.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

When Amazon offers $0 tax and free shipping on any orders above $24, plus lower prices than all the other guys to begin with, it's no wonder that at least 85% of my games come from Amazon alone.

SummerHillard

That's pretty much the only way I buy games now. I get 2 day free shipping all the time but I pay tax. Release day guaranteed delivery on some game for free as well. About 75% of the time I choose 2-day free shipping I get it over night so Amazon Prime FTW!

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

[QUOTE="SummerHillard"]When Amazon offers $0 tax and free shipping on any orders above $24, plus lower prices than all the other guys to begin with, it's no wonder that at least 85% of my games come from Amazon alone.

Dracula68

That's pretty much the only way I buy games now. I get 2 day free shipping all the time but I pay tax. Release day guaranteed delivery on some game for free as well. About 75% of the time I choose 2-day free shipping I get it over night so Amazon Prime FTW!

Yep, Amazon is the way to go. I have a wishlist full of games I want that I check every day. I've gotten several of my games for $8-15 used and several others with their "deal of the day" or goldbox specials. Free 2-day shipping is amazing as well.

footynut09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 footynut09
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Wow sorry but from reading this thread it seems like GameStop and all them have a very limited timeframe ahead of them. Now when I worked in GameStop (all them many years ago) they brought in some SERIOUS amount of money on the build up to Christmas. My hope is that someday digital download enters a store. Walk in, plug in a USB, download and pay for a game and walk out. Gets rid of the annoying third party that seems to take up so much money for delivery etc.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dracula68

Wow sorry but from reading this thread it seems like GameStop and all them have a very limited timeframe ahead of them.

footynut09

Why are you sorry? **** em! They are not a Mom & Pop store. They are a crappy franchise actually.

footynut09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 footynut09
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Love your honesty Drac. Yeah got out of there for my own sanity to be honest. Online is probaly the only way to go. Play.com... im not sure, ive heard bad stuff about timeframes etc

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I purchase most of my games from Amazon nowadays due to the price and shipping. I have Amazon Prime (it's free for a year for students), so I get free two-day shipping and sometimes release date delivery for free. As for cases being damaged, I've never had a problem with that since the packaging from Amazon is very secured.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dracula68

I purchase most of my games from Amazon nowadays due to the price and shipping. I have Amazon Prime (it's free for a year for students), so I get free two-day shipping and sometimes release date delivery for free. As for cases being damaged, I've never had a problem with that since the packaging from Amazon is very secured.

DJChuy

Yeah I never had a problem with games from Amazon. Though if ya did they would send you a new one even before you send the old one back so all is good.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

I prefer getting my games from a store.

Though my cousin pretty much gets all his games online. He usually gets better deals than me.:x

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Yes, 98 % of my game purchases happen on eBay.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

Most of the time I buy games online mainly because they tend to be much cheaper than in stores.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts

Wow sorry but from reading this thread it seems like GameStop and all them have a very limited timeframe ahead of them. Now when I worked in GameStop (all them many years ago) they brought in some SERIOUS amount of money on the build up to Christmas. My hope is that someday digital download enters a store. Walk in, plug in a USB, download and pay for a game and walk out. Gets rid of the annoying third party that seems to take up so much money for delivery etc.

footynut09
lol thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard, you do realise the stores ARE the third man right ? why the hell would companies have staff and shops so you could go in and use their internet when you could do that at home!!
Canuck3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Canuck3k
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts
I get a good staff discount at my work. Other then that. I order games online. Much cheaper
amigacooke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 amigacooke
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Haven't been in a shop to buy a game in years. I buy mostly from Amazon, but recently I've been getting more involved with KickStarter.

Being a Mac user, you seem to get a much higher proportion of games being release on Windows, Mac and Linux there.

For example, Trainz Simulator: A New Era, is being released first on Windows, followed by OSX and then Linux.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#36 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Well if you count PS+ then yeah, but i mostly buy physical copies

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points