Do you prefer combat, stealth, or a mix of the two?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I prefer combat. Give me guns, ammo, and grenades and I'm a happy guy. :)

Bottom line is: If the game gives me guns, I'm using them. Shooting is just more fun to me. Must be all those times playing Call of Duty that make me feel the way I do. :P

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

BANZAI !!!!!

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

A choice of the two

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

definitely a choice of the two. stealth nearly always results in a variety of ways to tackle a given scenario meaning progression is less linear. if done well it rewards creative thinking and strategizing which can be just as satisfiying as going all john rambo, if not more. and more choice in approach = more replayability

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Regardless of RPG, I always play a rogue.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

A mix of the two is obviously best, but if I had to choose between either of them, stealth is more my style.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Stealth, no question. Especially when you can play the entire game without knocking out or killing anyone unless it's the mission objective.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I prefer having so many options that you can't even name them all.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like a mix of two

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

Freedom to choose what you wish like Deus Ex than a pre-determined stealth/action section.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@Macutchi: I second this.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'd prefer a choice between the two.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Combat anyday.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Both. Within the same game sometimes I'm enjoying just stealth-killing everything and then I get bored and feel like just dropping in the middle of a room full of enemies and go to town.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I like games where you can choose either styles. Unfortunately, there aren't that many out there that can accomplish that properly. Metal Gear Solid and Hitman come to mind but I find that it's much more fun to go stealth and the games reward you for going that route.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#16 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I like both, that's why games like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear and The Arkham series are my favorites.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@SOedipus: try the original Thief series if you're looking for a great stealth experience. Dishonored as well.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Thief 1+2 are among my favorite games of all time. Just love quality stealth experiences. In Deus Ex I try to play stealth as well. I find it more engaging and tense than *most* (not all) open combat scenarios

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

I prefer combat. Give me guns, ammo, and grenades and I'm a happy guy. :)

Bottom line is: If the game gives me guns, I'm using them. Shooting is just more fun to me. Must be all those times playing Call of Duty that make me feel the way I do. :P

there are games like Tomb Raider, Hitman and othe games that give you the option. Which i don't have any issue with at all

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@gamerguru100: Something like Thief, Dishonoured, MGS, etc where the game has a solid system for both. My preference will always be stealth, but sometimes I may be impatient and if there are only one or two guys when maybe I'll go all guns/swords/fists akimbo for one small part and then return to my ninja-like ways.

I really like games where screwing up the stealth means that you have to resort to combat, but also games that reward you for not screwing up stealth. While playing MGS and trying to be all sneaky, after getting caught from time to time and having to shoot or fight our way out. Situations like this in MGS inspired us to coin the term "Operation Clusterfuck" do describe the less covert of our covert ops.

-Byshop

AlexLuxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 AlexLuxor
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Stealth. I'm picky with it though. I particularly prefer the stealth in the old Splinter Cell games and Hitman where you had the hide the body but the stealth in The Last of Us was really good. Thief and dishonored was good to but i like 3rd person stealth games more than first person

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Some people have mentioned Dishonored as good for stealth, but I think there are better options out there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not crapping on Dishonored. It's a fun game, but its nonlethal stealth leaves you few options. In nonlethal stealth, you're limited to choke-outs and sleep darts, which gets really boring really quickly. Sleep darts run out quickly too.

Combat gives you a sword, a pistol, grenades, incendiary bolts for your crossbow, and some cool powers. If you're gonna be stealthy, you might as well do a mix of both lethal and nonlethal stealth because your nonlethal options are limited and boring. The trade off for boring nonlethal stealth is a better ending, but in my opinion, it's not worth it unless you want the trophchievement.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

I usually like a mix of the two, depending on the situation in the game.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

Some people have mentioned Dishonored as good for stealth, but I think there are better options out there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not crapping on Dishonored. It's a fun game, but its nonlethal stealth leaves you few options. In nonlethal stealth, you're limited to choke-outs and sleep darts, which gets really boring really quickly. Sleep darts run out quickly too.

Combat gives you a sword, a pistol, grenades, incendiary bolts for your crossbow, and some cool powers. If you're gonna be stealthy, you might as well do a mix of both lethal and nonlethal stealth because your nonlethal options are limited and boring. The trade off for boring nonlethal stealth is a better ending, but in my opinion, it's not worth it unless you want the trophchievement.

That's most stealth games, though, and it reflects reality. It's always easier to kill than to incapacitate without harming, especially if the person you are trying to incapacitate has no qualms about murdering you.

Deus Ex HR annoyed me because to get the no-kill achievement/perk/whatever you had not kill anyone at all, including during the "intro" which takes place before you get any non-lethal options which means that as the badass security guard you have to run past all the guys breaking into your place of work. That was pretty lame.

-Byshop

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

A mix of both depending on the game. If I can avoid a lot of trouble by taking the stealth route, I'll go for it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#26 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Definitely a combat person! Monster Hunter gives you an option to sneak and I never do.

Run in slashing, that's my motto.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

This is very hard to choose from.

I like the combat of god of war and call of duty games but i also very much prefer the stealth of splinter cell and some little stealth of assassins creed.