Do you prefer carts or CDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts

I prefer CDs/Dvds, they don't have loading issues as a replacement for being more fragile. At the same time they feel all so silky smooth and glow. Also the backdie have colorful lines when you hold them to the light.

Not only that, they look more professional.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I love both, but yeah, I think I prefer CD/DVD's. I love cartridges if they're in the boxes, I hate loose cartridges :P
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

CDs.

Avatar image for Norman-Mckenzie
Norman-Mckenzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Norman-Mckenzie
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Carts no moving part in the system makes it more durable
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
carts
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
CDs, they're better at practically everything except loading times and if you're afraid of getting your disc ruined, you can always make legal backups (don't mod me gamespot, it's legal to make backups of games you own)
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="rilpas"]CDs, they're better at practically everything except loading times and if you're afraid of getting your disc ruined, you can always make legal backups (don't mod me gamespot, it's legal to make backups of games you own)

I did that to my .hack games and DQVIII so I could keep them in mint condition. I went through hell to get good deals on the .hack games, no way I'm gonna risc ruining them :P
Avatar image for Norman-Mckenzie
Norman-Mckenzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Norman-Mckenzie
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
cds use laser so the disc do not take damges unlike old-school vinyl.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Both; In a box.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

CDs overall, but cartridges have practically zero loading time.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Discs

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
CD's. they may have loading and they can scratch, but they gave developers more room to do stuff.
Plurpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Plurpz
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts

I like CDs more, but cartridges do have a great nostaglia effect with me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Carts. I also am a fan of systems with unique sound processors/synthesizers vs outsourced pre recorded audio. It's amazing what was done with the Genesis, Gameboy, and N64.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Carts, no load times and they can with stand the test of time.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

carts, but mostly for asthetic reasons.

NaturalDisplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaturalDisplay
Member since 2010 • 548 Posts

CDs!! I love the original playstation cd drives where you had to actually pop in the disk!

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

CDs.

Good ol' PlayStation days.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Cds/Dvds for me, just a lot more convenient and easier to store the boxes and such.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Discs,but these days I rather have most of my games in a digital format.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

I prefer cartridges myself. They just appeal to me more.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I prefer Cartridges since they are mostly durable. My NES, SNES, Genesis/megadrive, N64 carts still work fine.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I prefer carts as it increases the reliability of the games and system. Of course on the downside carts are more likely to give you trouble but at least trouble doesn't mean it likely don't work.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well , the heart says cartridges but the head says DVDs.

cartridges do have a nostalgic quality about them , and the near instant loading is good, but they do have severe limitations , so when all is said and done, DVDs are better.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
If storage space and content were the same a CART will have advantages over a CD or DVD. As that's not the case, I actually prefer whichever format the particular game might be stored on. In reality, digital versions of games are best as they are not prone to physical damage.
Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dj-Dampleaf
[QUOTE="Stinger78"]If storage space and content were the same a CART will have advantages over a CD or DVD. As that's not the case, I actually prefer whichever format the particular game might be stored on. In reality, digital versions of games are best as they are not prone to physical damage.

Actually no it wouldn't, a lot of people think that if someone wasted a whole ton of money on a 28 GB cart for a game the cart would have an advantage. That's really not true at all and the cost would be absurd. I agree with your second point, Digital games don't take that much damage, but if they do they are gone for ever and if something happens to your harddrive...
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dudersaper
Even if they don't have physical damage, it's lame to not have a physical copy, at least for collectors, that is. I hate games with only digital form, I feel as if I don't even own the game. I only pay for a physical copy. And DJ, I don't think the harddrive thing is a problem, like with Steam, I THINK (somebody that uses Steam will probably confirm) the games are associated with your account, so if anything happened to your harddrive, I think you can just re-install the game with no extra-charge.
Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dj-Dampleaf
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Even if they don't have physical damage, it's lame to not have a physical copy, at least for collectors, that is. I hate games with only digital form, I feel as if I don't even own the game. I only pay for a physical copy. And DJ, I don't think the harddrive thing is a problem, like with Steam, I THINK (somebody that uses Steam will probably confirm) the games are associated with your account, so if anything happened to your harddrive, I think you can just re-install the game with no extra-charge.

That only works with some things like Steam though, and Steam won;t last forever, unlike a Physical case. I still have my 2600 carts and they still work, my Playstation Cd's still work. But the games I downloaded off the Intelligent network service I will never play again since that service died in the 80's. Now, there's also the argument for getting a system with lost of internal memory, but if that breaks I can't buy another cna play them again since all the internal memory is erased with the broken machine.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stinger78
[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]If storage space and content were the same a CART will have advantages over a CD or DVD. As that's not the case, I actually prefer whichever format the particular game might be stored on. In reality, digital versions of games are best as they are not prone to physical damage.

Actually no it wouldn't, a lot of people think that if someone wasted a whole ton of money on a 28 GB cart for a game the cart would have an advantage. That's really not true at all and the cost would be absurd. I agree with your second point, Digital games don't take that much damage, but if they do they are gone for ever and if something happens to your harddrive...

A cart-based system has little to no loading times, less moving parts, and the games are not as prone to scratches or cracking. CD-based systems have loading times that do get better with each generation but have not been eliminated - cd drives wear out faster than a cartridge slot, and cd's/dvd's easily get scratched. The only advantage a CD or DVD has is storage space - more storage means they're capable of having more content. While I prefer something physical, as long as I have access to a digital download of a game, I can rely on it working every time I want to run it.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]If storage space and content were the same a CART will have advantages over a CD or DVD. As that's not the case, I actually prefer whichever format the particular game might be stored on. In reality, digital versions of games are best as they are not prone to physical damage.Stinger78

A cart-based system has little to no loading times, less moving parts, and the games are not as prone to scratches or cracking. CD-based systems have loading times that do get better with each generation but have not been eliminated - cd drives wear out faster than a cartridge slot, and cd's/dvd's easily get scratched. The only advantage a CD or DVD has is storage space - more storage means they're capable of having more content. While I prefer something physical, as long as I have access to a digital download of a game, I can rely on it working every time I want to run it.

the thing is, storage space means a lot, more levels, more content, voice overs, music, more room for textures, etc. Also, cartridges are more expensive

can you imagine if the xbox 360 and PS3 were limited to say... 2GB cartridges? not a whole lot of space

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stinger78

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"] Actually no it wouldn't, a lot of people think that if someone wasted a whole ton of money on a 28 GB cart for a game the cart would have an advantage. That's really not true at all and the cost would be absurd. I agree with your second point, Digital games don't take that much damage, but if they do they are gone for ever and if something happens to your harddrive...rilpas

the thing is, storage space means a lot, more levels, more content, voice overs, music, more room for textures, etc. Also, cartridges are more expensive

can you imagine if the xbox 360 and PS3 were limited to say... 2GB cartridges? not a whole lot of space

Kinda going back to my first point was that IF a cart had the same content as a CD or DVD - the cart would have several advantages, disregarding cost.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#32 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol @ cds not having loading issues , they do have loading issues -longer load times, and when their scratched they fail to load period

a cartridge very seldem breaks and does not have many load times

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

I prefer the cartridges for Nintendo games.

CDs they get messed up way too easily these days for videogames

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
I'm now convinced that people in this forum treat their CDs like crap.
Frieza99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Frieza99
Member since 2012 • 228 Posts
Cds/DVDs are more convenient for me to store the games permanently.
Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Videogames that are CD/DVD based they end up getting screwed up not only by previous owners but by the game companies themselves.

Sometimes you really end up with a dud game disc that doesn't even work at all so you just throw the game disc away then you have to go buy a replacement game cd disc of tha game and then hope that the replacement works also.

Like I said, game discs CDs/DVDs end up getting scratched up way too easily these days or they end up as dead duds.

I'll take my chances with a 15 year old Nintendo game cartridge that still works and in better shape than a game cd disc

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#37 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I prefer cartridges. Optical media scratches and optical drives break. Also, I like that every system has a different looking cartridge and its own unique character. Game disks look too much like non-game disks if you ask me.

hiddenkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hiddenkill
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Gotta go with carts, you can't blow the scratches off a CD.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

I prefer discs of course - and flash-based memory. Cartridges (and floppies) are gone for good reasons. I don't really understand the reason for this question though - like there's a choice between getting an old cartridge-based game on a disc instead of a cartridge... Yeah, OK: You get like a Neo Geo CD game instead of the same game on a Neo Geo cart? In such particular cases I guess carts are better.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dj-Dampleaf
[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]If storage space and content were the same a CART will have advantages over a CD or DVD. As that's not the case, I actually prefer whichever format the particular game might be stored on. In reality, digital versions of games are best as they are not prone to physical damage.

Cost a side it would have plenty of disadvantages. a 25GB rom has limitations. You can't expand textures. You can't expand data, this means limited locked content for say hidden levels or unlocks in games, or for this gen no DLC what so ever, and if they change the ROM to work with it, it would take forever to load the DLC in, and it would make the ROM highly vulnerable. Higher freeze rates since it takes a lot more power to have tons of events going on at the screen and loading up different areas filled with water and light effects and charging enemies with varying attacks on screen then it would a CD since a Cart is only loading from the ROM one way. and few other things.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
But, which CARTS are the best?
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Carts for the durability, lack of load screens, and internal memory.

I'm not one to say I don't care for graphical capabilities or amount of content a game can offer me, but carts were (and still are) the less hassling of the 2 for the consumer.