Do you need both eyes to use Oculus VR?

#1 Posted by Mario2007 (2520 posts) -

Hi. I only have full use of my right eye (glaucoma in my left eye), and I'm a bit confused about the technology of Oculus VR. For comparison, I usually don't go to 3D movies, because my lack of depth perception doesn't allow me to see the 3D effect. Will I have this same problem with virtual reality? Or can this device be used with just one of the binoculars? Thanks.

#2 Edited by Jacanuk (4330 posts) -

Hi. I only have full use of my right eye (glaucoma in my left eye), and I'm a bit confused about the technology of Oculus VR. For comparison, I usually don't go to 3D movies, because my lack of depth perception doesn't allow me to see the 3D effect. Will I have this same problem with virtual reality? Or can this device be used with just one of the binoculars? Thanks.

Yep, you need both eyes to use a Rift since it uses the same concept as 3d does. meaning it transmits one picture to your left and one to you right, so if you cant see one of those, you are out of luck.

#3 Posted by Mario2007 (2520 posts) -

ah well. thanks

#4 Posted by The-Apostle (12187 posts) -

While we're on the subject, would people who need to wear glasses all the time be able to use it? My visions okay but I get headaches if I leave them off too long.

#5 Posted by B3GV5M63 (47 posts) -

forget about Oculus. Facebook yet stole something again. good bye Oculus. am a playstation guy. Morpheus is incoming. and it looks a lot more affordable than Oculus.

#6 Posted by The-Apostle (12187 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

@Mario2007 said:

Yep, you need both eyes to use a Rift since it uses the same concept as 3d does. meaning it transmits one picture to your left and one to you right, so if you cant see one of those, you are out of luck.

I guess Leela wouldn't be able to use it then. >_>

#7 Edited by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

Yeah real talk about the glasses mang, I wear glasses too can I still strap that thing on my big head?

#8 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Mario2007 said:

Yeah, both eyes are required to get the 3D depth effect unfortunately. You would still get the head tracking and immersion of a display device that envelopes your entire vision. The stereoscopic 3D is only one of its features.

-Byshop

#9 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

You can wear it with glasses, Project Morpheus too. Some people won't need to wear their glasses with them, depending on why you need glasses in the first place, but you can also wear your glasses underneath them.

If you only have sight in one eye, the device will still work for you. There's more to the 3D effect than just stereoscopic vision, that's why people with only the sight in one eye don't lose their depth perception entirely. It also doesn't use any complicated image processing requiring you to see both sides of the image. Only seeing one side will still work, but you won't be seeing the same kind of 3D effect your stereoscopic brethren will be seeing

#10 Posted by Jacanuk (4330 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Mario2007 said:

lol nope :D she also would be a terrible "spaceship captain" since her depth perception would be seriously messed up.

#11 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The-Apostle said:
@Jacanuk said:

@Mario2007 said:

lol nope :D she also would be a terrible "spaceship captain" since her depth perception would be seriously messed up.

A point that Futurama has joked about from time to time. :)

-Byshop

#12 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -
#13 Posted by Jacanuk (4330 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The-Apostle said:
@Jacanuk said:

@Mario2007 said:

A point that Futurama has joked about from time to time. :)

-Byshop

hehe been awhile since i have seen Futurama :)