Do you like grinding/leveling?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by completeslasher (71 posts) -
i do but it should not be too slow to level up, like in american rpgs. i like power level advantage over enemies. and i am more interested in physical damage then magical damage. to be precise I only use magic for healing and status enhancements, nothing much else.
#2 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -
No. A great factor for how I rate an RPG is the question, how well the leveling is balanced - if a moderately direct approach leaves you underleveled it's a major flaw. Grinding should be an alternative for players that can't handle the tactics required for progression. But it should never be a requirement.
#3 Posted by completeslasher (71 posts) -
No. A great factor for how I rate an RPG is the question, how well the leveling is balanced - if a moderately direct approach leaves you underleveled it's a major flaw. Grinding should be an alternative for players that can't handle the tactics required for progression. But it should never be a requirement.Reptylus
I hate games like ff8
#4 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69172 posts) -
depends on how the game is setup,i do like leveling and grinding, but the gameplay has to be fun to
#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18096 posts) -
I think undergoing open heart surgery is more fun than leveling
#6 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Nope. Hate it.

#7 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

It depends how much encouragement I have, and if the rewards are worth it.

#9 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I don't mind it at all, so long as it's got some variety to it and there's some immersion in the game world - it's the type of place I enjoy spending time in.  Getting useful equipment and being able to spend exp in a wide variety of skill trees helps keep it interesting too.  Of course if there are tons of quests that aren't just your most banal item fetch things, then it doesn't seem like grinding at all.

In fact, even if it fails on all those counts, I'll probably still do some grinding.  I just can't play and RPG by going through the main story and that's it.  I really like to experience everything it's got to offer.

#10 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

i don't mind if the rewards are worth it and if the gameplay is fun.

#11 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

I actually find it fun sometimes, I have been playing Dragon Quest 8 and was doing a little bit of grinding. Except in Dragon Quest they give you metal slimes to kill which reward you with a ton of EXP almost feels like your cheating when you kill them.

Then again you have to find the areas they appear in and they have super high agility and defence so they are hard to kill and they run away a lot.

#12 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

It depends, games that force you to grind at every area just to be strong enough to complete the main story are terrible. If its grinding for side quests, than I dont mind. The Disgaea series comes to mind when I think of Grinding done right

#13 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14185 posts) -

Depends how fun the combat system is.

#14 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
It depends on the game whether l like grinding or not. But some kind of leveling system is a must for me. Usually games without leveling, customization, or character improvement get really boring really quick.
#15 Posted by Sushiglutton (5173 posts) -
Nope I hate it. "Leveling up" should be about the player getting more skilled, or finding new gadgets with distinct features such as for example in Zelda: A Link To The Past. Killing X enemies to get Y HP is awful imo. Sadly it seems like more and more action/adventure games are adopting a more grind based leveling systems. Let's hope this trend stops.
#16 Posted by Pedro (20994 posts) -

Level grinding breaks the sensation of your character growing. Leveling up in all games should have a more organic/natural character prgoression/growth. I generally consider level grinding bad gameplay design and in some cases lazy game design.

#17 Posted by Archangel3371 (15184 posts) -
Yeah I enjoy grinding and leveling up characters in a game especially in JRPGs.
#18 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

No. A great factor for how I rate an RPG is the question, how well the leveling is balanced - if a moderately direct approach leaves you underleveled it's a major flaw. Grinding should be an alternative for players that can't handle the tactics required for progression. But it should never be a requirement.Reptylus

Nailed it!

#19 Posted by jcopp72 (5332 posts) -
I dont like grinding to lvl up but I like the way the Elder Scrolls games lvl up, you can gain XP for the way you play.
#20 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

In some ARPG's (TL2, PoE) yes, in every other game, no

I absolutely hate grinding in MMO's

#21 Posted by Barujin (308 posts) -

No, I prefer to actually have fun with my games. :P Seriously, I have tried decent MMOs before and had fun, even while grinding. It just doesn't have enough gameplay variety to keep me interrested. In no time, it becomes a huge bore fest, and then I feel like playing a high-action game.

#22 Posted by Articuno76 (18652 posts) -
Depends on the dividends it can pay, how quickly they are paid out and what level of choice I have in where I improve. FF7 is good in this respect because you don't really have to grind for most of the game. There is also strategy in how you do it (making use of areas that have unusually high AP payouts, rotating materia in high-growth slots as well as materia choice). I remember at one point in the game I spent a little over an hour in Wutai (where the enemies were too strong to fight normally but I had a particular skill that killed them quickly) and left with my health almost doubled and with 6-7 more limit breaks than before. I didn't feel I had to do this, but rather that I had intelligently made a choice to exploit certain parts of the game. Of course this is very different from having to kill things for hours over and over simply to accumulate minor level-up bonuses.
#23 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Only on one game and that is World of Warcraft.

#24 Posted by Ovirew (6248 posts) -

I don't mind grinding and levelling, but it depends on the particular game.

#25 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -
depends on how the game is setup,i do like leveling and grinding, but the gameplay has to be fun toThe_Last_Ride
THIS, wholeheartedly. I don't mind leveling/grinding, to a certain extent, as long as the gameplay to achieving it is not made to feel like it's a chore. If I'm having a blast while playing to the point where I didn't even notice that I earned enough XP (or whatever that game may call it) to level up or the 'grinding' doesn't seem forced, then I know a game did right.
#26 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69172 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]depends on how the game is setup,i do like leveling and grinding, but the gameplay has to be fun toPumpkinBoogie
THIS, wholeheartedly. I don't mind leveling/grinding, to a certain extent, as long as the gameplay to achieving it is not made to feel like it's a chore. If I'm having a blast while playing to the point where I didn't even notice that I earned enough XP (or whatever that game may call it) to level up or the 'grinding' doesn't seem forced, then I know a game did right.

yeah i feel so to, FFX, Pokemon and even Dragon Age: Origins were some games that were pure fun leveling and doing sidequests
#27 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
for rpg's, it really depends on things i can't discuss on this forum. for shooters, i thoroughly enjoy it if the gunplay is good (leik bf3, planetside 2, et cetererera)