Do you like cinematic games? Or games that have deep gameplay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by robotapple (780 posts) -

I don't really like the whole set piece gaming trend that's happened. Games like UC kind of bore me.

I love games like NG, ZombiU and Bayonetta, and Dark Souls.

What do you like?

#2 Posted by Lulekani (2151 posts) -
Anything that requires quick reflexes and split second judgement, and a teeny weeny splash of strategy. Ofcourse I'm talking about Gears Of War and President Evil.
#3 Posted by jhalter1 (302 posts) -

I don't really like the whole set piece gaming trend that's happened. Games like UC kind of bore me.

I love games like NG, and Bayonetta, and Dark Souls.

What do you like?

robotapple

I am 100% with you. I'm not really a fan of games like Asura's Wrath where you just play QTEs until you're bored out of your mind.

#4 Posted by wiouds (5394 posts) -

A game with deep gameplay and is very cinematic. I hate how some FPS leave you in first person when they could pick a number of scene to bring the world, story and even the game play out more.

#5 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i don't like the design choice to emphasize visual spectacle over systems and mechanics that speak for themselves. i mean, MGS4 has some really solid systems that combine for pacing that could easily stand on it's own with lots of starts and stops, but then you get hours of cutscenes at a time it really messes up that pacing. or even without cutscenes, steering drake across a crumbling bridge just isn't interesting.

i always hear that these cinematic influences are for the story, but i'm much more interested in discovering the lore in dark souls through free flowing gameplay.

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (16065 posts) -
I like both types of games myself. I love a fast kinetic game that requires reflexes as much as the next person but I also love a game with explosive setpieces and visual spectacle as well.
#7 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -
Yes, and yes.
#8 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

I like cinematic games.

#9 Posted by Flubbbs (3463 posts) -

i like both

#10 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

Cinematic through gameplay. Half-Life 2 and episodes, basically any Rockstar game.

#13 Posted by eagle63 (535 posts) -

why cant we have both...in the same game?you know,(hey you got your peanut butter in my chocolate)it could work.

#14 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
It really depends upon what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I want a long-winded game like Metal Gear Solid 4, and sometimes I want an action game with minimal story to get in the way.
#15 Posted by sukraj (23655 posts) -

I like a bit of both.

#16 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Anything that ultimately proves fun, engaging and exciting. I love cinematic games as much as I like games that have deep gameplay.

#17 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9254 posts) -

I'm with you. I feel like cinematic gameing takes away the point of gaming. I mean what seperates this medium from other mediums? It's participation. That's how I feel about it.

I'm always aware of what I'm actually DOING in a game so when I'm slowly following a tibetan through an ice cave, all I'm thinking is, "this is completely unenjoyable no matter which perspective you look at it".

#18 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

I like both.

#19 Posted by taiwwa (301 posts) -

actually, not really.

Because the cinema ends up being standard action angles that you'd see in like a Jackie Chan movie.

and then the game becomes "hit series of checkpoints to get next story segment.

#20 Posted by Allicrombie (25412 posts) -
its not always mutually exclusive. I know I've played games with decent cinema tics and fairly in depth gameplay.
#21 Posted by taiwwa (301 posts) -
its not always mutually exclusive. I know I've played games with decent cinema tics and fairly in depth gameplay.Allicrombie
Games like Mass Effect are what I would count as fairly standard action and go through series of levels until cutscene.
#22 Posted by Bunj84 (494 posts) -
if i liked only cutscenes i would watch a pixar movie or a michael bay film. I would much rather the game have no cutscenes and have excellent gameplay.
#23 Posted by AzatiS (7920 posts) -
Why those 3 cant co-exist? I love deep gameplay games with some sort of story. Not necessarily cinematic but a good story with some niec cutscenes here and there.
#24 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Much prefer lots of gameplay over "cinematic" experiences.

#25 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Both. I don't like it when the game designer plays film director so aggressively that they force you to play as an actor, pretending to be a character, on a stupidly railroaded film set, waiting for the directors script prompts to happen. There's a clear line between getting that right, and not ruining the suspension of disbelief and obliterating everything. Same with complex games that are more systems driven; when glaring holes start popping up then I'm going to start thinking I'm interacting with a Dali painting. Like tanks stopping in the middle of the road for rabbits, carefully trying to avoid them in ArmA 2.
#26 Posted by dragonps (1667 posts) -
Can't I have both? If not I'll settle for gameplay, I really don't care if the story is a generic trip down Saturday afternoon TV so long as the gameplay keeps bringing me back.
#27 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

I started to get bored with cinematic games now, but I used to enjoy them immensely. Now I'm craving for more gameplay oriented games because they're what I enjoyed the most. When I want a movie, I watch a movie. Not games.

#28 Posted by darkengy (171 posts) -
I like both. The cinematic game play for me makes me more immersed in the game. As for the deep game play, it improves strategic calculation every time a new skill is learned.
#29 Posted by Spyke504 (7 posts) -

Now has some game comes out own movie like Halo 4 own movie like Forward Unto Dawn

#30 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

First and foremost i like good and engaging story. Whether it is told through cinematics or whether it has a great gameplay along with it i consider it as a bonus.

#31 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17392 posts) -

Gameplay. Cinematic fluff is only worth at best a one time play through, versus something like raiden iv, which I can play over and over again.

#32 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

Go Team Cinematics.