Do you just complete main story or the full game?

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

Hi there. :)

I was recently wondering how does the majority of gamers play offline games. Do you just play through the main story and call the game completed or do you have a feeling that you "must" play everything, explore the whole game and find every single collectible? And what about the purchasable updates in the future? Do you feel the need to buy those in order to consider the game completed or do you just buy them, if you liked the game? Personally, I buy the update, if I've got no other game to play and if I really loved the original game.

Personally I call the game completed, when the main story is finished. Usually, if I really loved the game though, I might do the optional side missions. But the main point is, that the game is beaten after I finish the main story. Everything else is what I believe they are meant to be - optional for those who love the game.

For example, I recently played through Watch Dogs on my PS4. I did actually love the game, so I finished all the optional side missions and also collected some additional collectibles. I did not look for all the collectibles though, as I want to move on to another game (Assassin's Creed: Black Flag). However, I consider having beaten Watch Dogs now, that the story is over. And I consider myself a bit more of a Watch Dogs player than an average player, since I did look for the collectibles and completed all the optional side missions.

So, how do you play offline games?

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

i play offline games like you,if i finished the game then the game is finished however i try to explore and finish all side mission but not collecting all collectibles because for me it's not fun

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

It depends on the game. I go for collectibles if they're fun to search for and/or if they have a bit of lore attached to them. But if they're like the doves in GTA IV, I'm not going to bother with them. In my experience, that kind of collectible adds very little to the game itself. Finding them is too time consuming and you get nothing (or too little) for it. With puzzle or platform games it's different, because getting to a collectible usually means solving a more complex puzzle or being more skillful, which in itself is a satisfying activity (like the bandages in Super Meat Boy). If collectibles have a significant in-game reward and/or have lore attached to them, then I'll see how much I can find myself in the first playthrough and if I haven't found them all I often use a guide during the second playthrough (but only if I feel it would add something to my experience).

It's the same with achievements. If they add something to the game, I'll usually go for them. So it depends on how I personally define 'full game', but I'll never just settle for the campaign, unless that's all the game offers. I'll keep playing until I feel I've had the 'full' experience, which can vary widely and which is probably why I have an enormous backlog.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NinthFall

In old days the games usually consisted of one campaign, and didn't have that many side missions or collectibles. I liked them that way, much more simple and easier to define a full game. Nowadays it feels like over 50% of the game consists of side missions. In fact, at least on GTA, Watch Dogs and Batman games, that's the way these games are. I had completed approximately 37% of Batman: Arkham City when the end credits started rolling on the screen. I don't like that they give side missions so huge part of the game. I like exploring games though, but I don't think it should really be this big part of completing the full game.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

If I finish the main story that makes me consider the game completed.

It's all dependent on how much I really like the game whether or not I play all the side stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I try to complete as many of the side stuff as I can while going through the main story.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11124 Posts

I beat the main story and as many of the sidestuff as I can. I get collectibles if possible but don't go out of my way to obtain them. Generally, I consider the game beaten when I've done all the fun stuff I could, without the "I must do everything" mentality which can kill the real fun for me.

As for purchasable updates aka DLCs I buy them if I really want to return to the game with some brand new quests and storyline.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Normally I loose interest once the main story is completed, only exception was Skyrim

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

If I like the story and the gameplay, I'll try and complete everything! If I'm getting bored with it, I'll just finish the story and call it a day.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

When the credits roll I'm done, until I go back to replay on hard.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

If the game isn't very fun or well paced I usually only do the main story. Otherwise, I try to do a 100% run

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Kind a off topic but what about fast travel?. Do you use that if in game?.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NinthFall

@skipper847: You mean like we had in GTA? I did use it a lot, but often also like to drive myself to missions. Especially on a new car or some. But on Watch Dogs, I never hopped in a train to fast travel, I always drove everywhere.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Yes.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The vast majority of gaming that I do is offline. I like being able to pause whenever I need to without missing a beat. Plus, I don't have to deal with any unsavory types in the online community. The mute button got a lot of use when I had a 360 years ago.

As for how much I do in a game, it depends on how much I like it. I explored every corner of Xenoblade, The Last Story, Chrono Cross, and the Mass Effect series because I love the games. In contrast, I went through the story in Assassin's Creed III and didn't bother exploring anything else because I found it to be uninteresting.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@skipper847 said:

No, but there is a funny story behind that. When Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion came out It wasn't until a year later that I discovered it had the fast travel ability. Before then I had either walked or used the horses in game to move around, so since I got so used to it then I've just kept doing it.

Took the Taxi on occassion in GTA 4 but then I'd sit there until I reached the destination.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

I'm a completionist. I consider it a waste to not play everything the developer has on offer and most of the time, the stuff available after the credits roll are far better than the content available before.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Everything but Online Multiplayer. But thats only because I don't want to pay for Gold Membership !

-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

I don't have internet at my house so I only play offline. I like to complete everything. Enjoy everything the game has to offer.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

The one that's more tempting.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10360 Posts

i think you get a feeling whilst playing whether side missions and such are genuinely fun and worthwhile or just pointless fluff to pad out the main game. if it's the latter i'll finish the campaign then bail, if not i'll play around until i'm bored or another game comes along

Tonyx429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tonyx429
Member since 2014 • 77 Posts

I consider a game "completed" when I finish the main story. I typically don't go back and play side missions or find collectibles, unless I really enjoy the game. Sometimes I might replay the game's main story too.

Otherwise, I only do side missions/find collectibles when I am playing through the main story at the same time, so I do some side missions, but not all.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43991 Posts

Pretty broad question as there are so variables to consider. It depends on the kind of game, the amount of stuff to do in the game, what kind of stuff the extras entail, etc. I try to do most things in most of the games that I play but I wouldn't say that I'm a completionist. I do almost always play more then the bare minimum story parts in my games.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I will always finish all of the side missions/quests before ending the main story but the one thing I'll never do (because it's too much trouble) is collecting any kind of collectables. Nothing given as a reward (even achievements/trophies) aren't worth it.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#25 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I do two playthroughs before I make an opinion: one for the main story, the other for 100% (or as close to it as possible)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

Depends on the game obviously... I'm not usually one for collecting stuff or doing things for the sake of it, unless it's fun of course. I usually just complete the campaign generally.

MedaFaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MedaFaded
Member since 2014 • 274 Posts

@NinthFall: I am OCD when it come to video games I have to do all the side quests, before I complete a main mission. (Except Skyrim I tried) I'm not truly OCD, but I believe to complete a game fully you must do it all. You are way more poweful by grinding, and doing the side quest then you will with just the main mission. Also more loot, armor, weapons, and story when you do side quest. If the game is very good, and I truly like it, I will purchase the content the second time, or third time around. But I try not to support blindly. Since I complete all that is in the game I don't feel the need to purchase DLCs, since the hype is usually gone by then, and its only if I really really like the game I would, or wanted to continue the story.

CZiporyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CZiporyn
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I theoretically want to go through all the side quests and miscellaneous stories before I do the main mission, but I find that if I really dislike a game I'll just rush the main quest. Or if I'm somehow really caught up in the story I'll rush the main story. At that point I consider it completed. Because the main quest of Skyrim was mostly uninteresting (aside from Parthunaax who is awesome) I did as many side quests as possible and tried to stay away from the main quest. So that's a bit of a counter point.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

If it's a game I enjoy like Fallout 3, I'll save the main story for last. Otherwise, I'll eventually lose interest and stop playing if I don't finish the main quest. I've had Skyrim since release day and have yet to complete the main quest.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I usually complete all the side stuff and the campaign.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

Depends on the game.

Red Dead Redemption - finished 100% seven or eight times. I love this game
Assassins Creed Black Flag - got all the stuff you get trophies for
GTA IV - currently trying to do 100% on PC but the stunts, etc. are annoying
Halo 3, ODST, Anniversary, 4 - got all the skulls, achievements

There are other games where I finish the main story and sell them afterwards. If the game is fun and the side things are fun, too, I do it.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#34 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm a bit of a trophy whore. Well, maybe a lot of a trophy whore. So I generally do everything that is necessary to get all the trophies, thus earning the platinum trophy. Otherwise I don't think I would have much incentive to go after collectibles and everything unless I really enjoyed the game enough.

PurpGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PurpGod
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

No game has pushed me to get a platinum trophy. I usually play the single player first, then hop online.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#36 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If I really enjoy a game, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm gonna ply as much as possible. But I rarely 100% games, usually play the story a few times depending on what kind of game it is.

cybercrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cybercrime
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I want to finish the game 100% and finish the side mission :)

Especially when I like the story ^^

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#38 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

if the side missions and stuff are fun and interesting i usually do those on top of the main game. Sometimes if a games really great i'll do everything in them even if some of its not to interesting.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i mean there are games that i play over again if i think it's worth it like Mass Effect and try to complete the game completely. For the most part though i just complete the story and the side activities as much as i can

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@NinthFall: Depends a lot on the game but i always do side missions first then main missions and if the game isent boring i do all the extra like collecting pigons, feathers etc...

But once i put it away i put it away i rarely go back to a game after the main mission is done.

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#41 PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

Depends on the game. If I like it then I don't want to stop playing, and that means I'll usually go through and find the most difficult secrets and compete the grindiest achievements just to have more time with it. Generally speaking I'll beat every game I play if it has a story mode. Very rarely have I ever played anything that was so bad I couldn't finish it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Also.... I don't like this whole "Complete" thing.... It implys games are novel experiences just like books and movies. Games are at their best when repeated over and over again, not "completed".

I personally use games to stimulate certain parts of my mind to keep me from goint batsh!t insane, I use DiRT 3 to work on my Hand Eye Cordination, Dead or Alive to Work on my Adaption and Refexes, Puzzle, adventure and Stealth games to work on my Deduction and Judgement and Preporation.

Co-Op games to work on building Relationships :(, I know... Sad right ?

Its why I keep coming back to them, its why I put over 100 Hours into Bayonetta, its a not 10 hour experience that I just complete, its a tool I keep coming back to for constant stimulation.

Now if Bayonetta could a adopt a repetitive format like FIFA, DiRT and DoA then I would be in Heaven ! Same goes for Portal and Adventure Games.

vicky_john1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 vicky_john1
Member since 2014 • 230 Posts

I usually complete the full game and i ll be roaming in the game as maniac.. Lol..