Do we really need so many Multiplayer Games ?

• 92 results
sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By sabretooth2066

Poll Do we really need so many Multiplayer Games ? (54 votes)

There are already enough Multiplayer-Titles, i can live without them as well. 72%
Multiplayer-Games Forever! 35%

i never understand there are so many (way too many in my opinion) multiplayer games out there and still so many people playing even more than one of them at the same time probably not even progressing any further in any of them because they dont even have the time for it

and thats the thing, most of those multiplayer titles actually make more sense when playing and conentrate on them for a serious couple of weeks/months for the sake of bringing the character further in the game (upgrading, gaming-points, exp-points, etc.) and becoming better....as if the same thing cant be done with every offline singleplayer game, so again i ask myself if we really need so many of those multiplayer titles as we have today

i also dont like the thought of being unable to play any kind of multiplayer game when either there arent any other players around (there actually are some indie-multiplayer-titles having that problem!) or....what happens sooner or later...the studio behind it closes down the servers for any kind of reason.

i just dont hope all this multi-$hit will not be a comon thing in the future while singleplayer games are rare, happily there are sill enough offline-single-player games out there today

• 
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yea, I'm with sabretooth2066 , mp bores the hell out of me after a few minutes. Same crap over and over and over again. And so many ppl are just annoying as **** too.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@mjorh: I disagree, the definition of depth goes both ways, you can experience depth in a multiplayer game and you can experience depth through a story. To much depth may kill the game though if they overdo it, both in multiplayer and story vise. Need that perfect balance, to little depth and the game may feel shallow at least from my point of view.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@bussinrounds

What wrong with Repetition ? You do it regardless of which mode you play, unless you play some QTE adventure like Asuras Wrath or The Walking Dead.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

Theres no such thing as too much depth in Gameplay... In such a case then its not longer Deep.... Its Convoluted or unnecessarily OverComplicated.

Gameplay should always strive to be deeper.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#55 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't mind MP being implemented in a game so long as it stays separate from the single player. I hate seeing online features sneaked into a game's SP. But if we're talking MP only games like Titanfall, then yeah I'm hoping that doesn't become too much of a trend.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lulu_Lulu

@SoNin360

Me Too.... Sort Of...

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@bussinrounds

What wrong with Repetition ? You do it regardless of which mode you play, unless you play some QTE adventure like Asuras Wrath or The Walking Dead.

You're gonna tell me you don't see the obvious differences in a SP and MP game ?

You're overthinking things again.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ojmstr

@Lulu_Lulu: You know Lulu Lulu, like we have been talking about earlyer, ecpecially about fighting games, im guessing that's what i ment, that word you used, overcomlicating, and the first game that comes to mind is Tekken tag 2. It's such a complicated game that it kinda ruins the whole game and that is not a good thing, im thinking more about the people who wants to get into Tekken but gives up before they even try because it's exactly that, overcomplicated, but yeah like i mentioned Namco is on the right track again with Tekken 7.

When that is said im all for depth in a multiplayer shooter or a mmorpg etc.. If i was gonna describe my dream game you could do pretty much anything you wanted to do in that game universe, i would like to see sort of a game like in the Mass Effect universe but you could do what ever you wanted to do, if you wanted to rob an other online player you could, if you wanted to become an assassin you could, if you wanted to become a fighter you could, ( with sort of a realistic fighting system like in EA SPORT UFC.

I love depth in a multiplayer game, remember in that socom 2 game im talking about, you could actually plant mines on dead bodys and when the enemy team was gonna pick up ammo from the dead bodys they where screwed, and at the same time you could just lay 10 feets away in the grass with your camo or guilly suit (sniper suit) and watch everything unfold. You could do tons of things in that game that probably wasn't ment to "be" in the game but at the same time it wasn't glitching or cheating or anything, it was just pure skills and depth to the gameplay as people constantly evolved and really took benefith of the environment.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@bussinrounds

You should try overthinking things too...

And the difference between Single Player and Multiplayer... Well that depends on the game. But usually the difference is you don't notice The Repetition when theres a story... Plus a few minor things that break up the repetition like Shitty Stealth Sections, Vehicle Sections ot even a Stupid Puzzle.

Comon ! Think with me ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

Thats not a game, buddy. Thats The Matrix ! :) and thats some straight up Ninja Sh!t right there... Its nice when a game lets you do a few clever things but its even better when it lets you be devious about it...

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

Short answer: No

Long answer:

Why is the gif lost?

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

But if we're talking MP only games like Titanfall, then yeah I'm hoping that doesn't become too much of a trend.

titanfall looks interesting at the beginning watching certain vids, but if you really go deeper into it its as well just another rush-through-the-map-and-kill-everything mp-game where i ask myself...who really enjoys this ?

they came up with this wallrunning-boost-jumping-feature and everyone thinks "WOW this is some great new feature!" when it actually just stresses out the gameplay even more, instead of bunnyhopping, people now bunnywallrun and bunnyboostjump through the air like friggin new-year-fireworks

now having a decent single-player campaign where you have to use your brains when and where to decide using your boots or the wallrun features, thats a totally different thing and makes more fun than having this feature inside an mp game

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#63 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

I want more Single Player but also Co-op Story mode.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ojmstr

@Lulu_Lulu: Maybe it's the matrix i have been waiting for all my life:) I want a game with all genres combined in one, don't think it's possible yet or else someone would have made it allready.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

I'm not so sure... Maybe they just don't see a point to doing it....

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ojmstr

@Lulu_Lulu: I doubt it has been possible in the past to make such a game with all genres combined in one game and at the same time all the genres in that game would had been highly polished and with AAA quality like you see in a single AAA game in their respected genre.

It might be possible today on the new systems/graphic cards etc... but it would probably take a decade to make even with todays technology.

Skyrim took 5 years to make,imagine an online rpg game in that scale or the scale of the Mass Effect universe with the shooter mechanic, animations and graphics like The Last Of Us, with a realistic fighter mechanic like EA Sports UFC and with highly polished spacesim and racing gameplay in there as well.

I don't think that would be possible on the PS3 for instance but it might be possible on the PS4. The question is, would it pay off to make such an expencive and massive game?

I think it would if they market it correctly and if it's the right gaming company behind it. A highly polished AAA game like that would probably attract gamers from all genres.

Closest game to my dream game right now is The Division and No Man's Sky. Still far away but that sort of game im describing will be made one day, im sure;)

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

almost every story has been told , and watching a so many cutscenes for a cliche is boring

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

Not me... I'm all about the focused experience... Its why I'm looking foward to The Phantom Pain... Instead of having one large Skyrim type Open World they opted for a something smaller perfect for the scope of gameplay it has... And they made multiple maps too....

I don't like this whole More Bigger More Stuff More Everything type of philosophy... Especially if they're going to Copy Pasted Dungeons and Cookie Cutter Enemies.

If you want you can go ahead and try to Make that type of game yourself using Project Spark.... :p

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

If there's a market for them and people still enjoy them, why not. I don't really play MP so doesn't really bother me either way.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#71  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Multi player = no story = don't have to think much

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ojmstr

@Lulu_Lulu: I need something new and inovative when it comes to multiplayer games after playing online since quake times im feeling that not that much have changed tbh when it comes to the core gameplay of a mp shooter.

Im guessing The Devision will be what im looking for as for now within the next couple years.

To make that dream game im talking about you need expertice from devs of all genres and have a couple thousand employes probably.

What i really like about the idea to melt a whole bunch of genres toghether ecpesially shoot em-ups, fighters, rpg elements and space-sim to move around from planet to planet with in a massive scaled online only universe with no free zones or lobbys whatsoever is because everything could happen, things you never expect could happen because there are so many elements to the gameplay and so many online players who would had been on their own agenda.

I would probably be a fighter going around and kicking ass all day long with my bulletproof west on, while others would be an assassin, a thief, a smugler, a robber, a law enforcer, a soldier,, a jet pilot etc... So many possibillitys with multiplayer games these days with better hardware than ever and great internet connection all across the globe.

I think we will see alot of online only games in the times ahead of us.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

Alot sounds like alot.... It costs money to make and maintain an online only game and they simply arent for everyone.... I don't think we will see alot of them, the world just aint big enough for them all. :p.... Local Co-Op is dying though... :(

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@skipper847

Thats not true if anything Having a story doesn't encourage anythinking.... Just sitback and absorb it like you would a movie.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ojmstr

@Lulu_Lulu: btw The Phantom Pain will allmost 100% sure have great multiplayer gameplay. Metal Gear Online is one of the best mp games ever created for it's time. I also enjoy focused gameplay like that, that sort of mp games are the ones i have enjoyed the most up through the years.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lulu_Lulu

@ojmstr

Which is a shame because I'm not going to pay gold membership to play it online...

You'd think by now I wouldve givin in but the truth his I'd stand by this decision no matter how much I really want to play a game online. :p I won't break.

FabioJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FabioJR
Member since 2018 • 12 Posts

Yeah... Current bandwagon is MMO everywhere.

Sooo many titles doing the exact same thing. Same shooters, same game play, same styles.....

This generation of video gaming has left me utterly bored

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#79 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

MP games are just a lootbox generator these days I'm perfectly fine without them.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I would say so considering Titanfall 2 was DOA because of an oversaturated FPS market. The thing I like about single player games is you can be completley aloof to server and service issues. Everyone in the treads will be arguing over whichever service is down more and I'll be enjoying the Witcher.

Avatar image for hassanraza112233
Hassanraza112233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Hassanraza112233
Member since 2018 • 47 Posts

I am also searching for good online multiplayer game

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

In the universe of games the quantity and variety of that quantity has completely exploded leaving it now with more games in each type of gaming then likely all games in the history of games prior (might not be accurate but what I am painting here is ...A LOT)

however...if you refuse to look at indies then your screwed on this point

case in point, 7,672 games were released on Steam in 2017 ALONE

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/10/16873446/steam-release-dates-2017

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 FanboyMcTroll
Member since 2017 • 274 Posts

The developers make what sells, it is a business, and right now everyone is into multiplayer so they keep cranking them out, as long as people keep buying them, they will keep making them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#84 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@fanboymctroll said:

The developers make what sells, it is a business, and right now everyone is into multiplayer so they keep cranking them out, as long as people keep buying them, they will keep making them.

^

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 JohnnyGT1
Member since 2012 • 147 Posts

There's just way too many multiplayer games out there even for games that have came out 20+ years ago that you can still play on a PC that's just crazy. I know a lot of these multiplayer games severs are like a ghost town but can still be played because people keep these game severs up still even for rom games. Console wise and PC too when a new game comes out the multiplayer community will will flock to it while a majority will stay back and continue playing the game until they get tired of it or the server shuts down (console).

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#86 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

This is a matter of taste.

I play a few multiplayer titles at the same time. I also have a few single player games installed as well.

I find you don't need to invest thousands of hours in any competitive game to still feel the experience to be rewarding.

But I don't blame you, if you don't care about that type of game, it must feel overwhelming to see all those games.

yallratrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 yallratrip
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

damn yall really do not want any... i think bc i grew up with siblings all close in age multi player games hold a soft spot. becauses when it was a one player game we'd all fight over who got to play first.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#89 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I've played 99% multiplayer the last year or so. Most singleplayer games bore me these days.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#90 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

We don’t ‘need’ them. They just sell incredibly well and as long as we buy them, we’ll keep getting them.

It’s Call of Duty syndrome. Lots of people seem to dislike them yet keep buying them. So they keep making them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#91 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think the best multiplayer games are ones that have long-lasting servers (and aren't outdated annually) and a steady player base.

Overwatch is probably the funnest multiplayer FPS I've gotten into in a good long while. It loads fast, there's tons of characters to master, and new content will continue to be produced for it for the foreseeable future.

...At the same time, I realize it can be a nightmare trying to find players for the multiplayer of an older game, or one that isn't as popular.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Just realized how old this thread is!