Do video games raise blood pressure?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

It sounds stupid. But many people have gotten very frustrated with games,myself included,wheter it be online or just a hard difficulty in single player. But I have heard some people through mic's get really angry with their game or how they are playing. Surely these types of behaviour cannot be good for a person.

#2 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

No, thye aren't. Which is why if you are getting upset at agme. Its bets to put it down and do something else (non gaming related) for awhile. Or, if you're so mad that you need to do something, put in a different game and put it on easy and slaughter Orcs or other enemies until your rage is gone. Then go and do something else (non gaming related)

#3 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6122 posts) -

I'm no doctor, but would assume so if you over-do it.

#4 Posted by Dark4ever01 (321 posts) -

Oh definitely, when you're about to taste the sweetness of victory only to have it taken away by a bunch of random events it gets REALLY annoying.

I'm looking at you Blur.

#5 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6122 posts) -

Oh definitely, when you're about to taste the sweetness of victory only to have it taken away by a bunch of random events it gets REALLY annoying.

I'm looking at you Blur.

Dark4ever01

Ahhhhhh, grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory, I remember when I used to play this PC strategy game, I built an army and terrain for three hours, only to be defeated ridiculously. I cried.

#6 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
When you rage and rage quit... yes I'm sure. lol
#7 Posted by Rhino53 (2551 posts) -

Sometimes happens to me a couple of times during matches in CoD Search and Destroy, especially if I'm the last one left

#8 Posted by djseebee (338 posts) -

i think it does depends on your reactions

#9 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

Wait what do you mean by raise blood pressure?

#10 Posted by UntraceableHaze (168 posts) -
If you let yourself get mad or excited lol
#11 Posted by dkdk999 (6741 posts) -
hmm thats an interesting question. I like to play my games on a hard setting or their hardest setting and often end up yelling like "OMG WTF!!" and so on. I don't know why I love to play hard games. I for some reason feel like I'm a sissy or something if I turn down the difficulty I've never been. But maybe I should start playing games on a lower difficulty I didn't think of what affect this might have on me.
#12 Posted by SgtSilock (3116 posts) -
of course they do, anything can and does raise blood pressure. Excitement, Stress, Fear, Anxious, these are all emotions that raise your blood pressure. So yes games do raise your blood pressure, but in a good way ; )
#13 Posted by speedfog (3337 posts) -

Sometimes happens to me a couple of times during matches in CoD Search and Destroy, especially if I'm the last one left

Rhino53

Same here, it feels like : "It all depends on you know" :P

#14 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
I find it happens quite a bit when I'm playing racing games - I'll be trying to do a perfect lap to get high on the global leaderboards when I either make a small mistake or get hit by an AI car I have no control over blocking the line or forcing a mistake. It's frustrating and annoying when it goes wrong, but more satisfying when you finally do nail that perfect run and set a time you had previously thought impossible. It's finding the balance between moderation and determination
#15 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17136 posts) -

I sure as hell hope not.

#16 Posted by SummerHillard (414 posts) -

It's not just "blood pressure."

Of course playing games on the hardest difficulties is going to take a toll on your body. The increased adrenaline, anxiety, and rage (if you SUCK and fail and get pissed) are all going to cause your heart to go into overdrive. It STRESSES your body from a physiological stem.

That's the price you pay for getting the "rush" out of video games. To me, it's not worth it, so I NEVER allow myself to play games on such settings. I care more about a game's story than the actual "challenge" of the gameplay.

#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18977 posts) -
I think having brief, contained bouts of anger when you're losing is ok but if your can't control your anger and start yelling and the state presists even after you turned the system off, then you have a problem and should lay off online gaming for a while
#18 Posted by Helghast_Merc (762 posts) -

Well, it could if you take the game too seriously.

#19 Posted by sukraj (23754 posts) -

I f you get carried away with a game then yes it could raise your blood pressure.