Do games now a days do enough for you to warrent a purchase?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oddjob2148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 oddjob2148
Member since 2004 • 80 Posts

Hello all and im not talking about washing the dishes and ironing the socks! :P, the reason I made this thread is because I was looking at the demo impressions in the 360 forums of DMC4. Some people in there feel as with assasins creed that the game is repetitive and not different enough from previous versions of the series. Now to an extent i agree with this but for me games are all about evolution not revolution and DMC4 has the best hack and slash controls, great graphics and a good storyline(or so ive heard but the jurys still out on this) however in spite of this im only going to rent the game.

Now games like WOW allow you to do a lot more than the average game, level solo(singleplayer) group, instance, pvp, raid etc. and while it s all very repetitive it does allow for a lot of ways to 'play' the game and it kept me interested a lot longer than any other(even multiplayer) games. Now games these days generally take a genre and run with it with exceptions like GTA which allow for a multitude of different genre s to be incorporated into the game, driving, shooting, rpg elements etc. I just find myself these days not taking the risk of buying a game unless I know I will be getting a LOT for my money. Take for example Orange Box, I just recently got it. Great game with so much to do, oh and I would most definately pay for a full priced portal :D but thats mainly down to sheer awsomeness on its part :D. But before that I have rented most of the good 360 games MAss Effect, Bioshock and Eternal Sonata for instance, where as I bought Virtua Fighter 5, GH3, COD4 and Halo3 as I knew they d last me quite a while online and to get the achievements(im looking at you MHC and expert TTFATF :P).

I guess in a way i am asking in your opinion is single player worth buying for these days without a good multiplayer componant? Games in Ireland are in or around 70 euro, which is quite steep compared to previous era s of gaming, megadrive, ps1/2 etc.

And in addition to the question above do you actually want your games to do more these days in relation to additional genres? Such as shooting with driving parts etc. Pretty much any game in any genre can get repetitive such as racing and even(gasp!) Virtua Fighter :o. So what dya think people? :)

Radiohead85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Radiohead85
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts
I think the single player element of games should be worth the price of purchase. I feel that too many devs are set on creating a half-baked afterthought of a single player game and relying on the multiplayer to give the game some legs. Games should really have an excellent single player element as well as an excellent multiplayer component. Call of Duty 4 is a perfect example of a game that is able to deliver both
oddjob2148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 oddjob2148

yea good call, I havent enjoyed a game as much as COD4 in some time, I wasnt expecting so good of a multiplayer componant in it and the stoey in the single player was very good. The next big game im looking forward to in that regard is the new GTA, looks like another awsome single player, hopefully they ll so somthing good with the multiplayer part of it.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
actually while i think you went in the wrong direction mentioning WoW (it has a monthly fee), i do actually find that i don't buy a ton of games these days. many of them are turning out to be rentals. they just do not have enough playability. $60 for a game like assassin's creed confuses me when a game like super smash brothers brawl will offer hundreds of times more hours of gameplay.
Avatar image for Uberbadassmufuh
Uberbadassmufuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Uberbadassmufuh
Member since 2004 • 1006 Posts

This all kind of hinges on how much you value the imerssiveness of the SP experience. The hours of play you get out of something like Team Fortress 2 are pretty much always going to eclipse those you get out of SP games. What dedicated single player games do well is put a microscope on the players experience for the time they're playing. A good dedicated single player experience has a good story and characters who develop contained within. Because this is (hopefully) the focus of the game the audio visual aspects of the game are dedicated to helping tell that story. Gameplay can ALSO revolve around the player characer in single player and this can even lead to branching of the plot based on character decisions. Many games are worth replaying so you can experience becoming that/those character/characters again.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that as games hedge further and further into the realm of art there's a lot more to consider than purely gameplay and length.

oddjob2148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 oddjob2148
aye, the reason i mentioned wow was because it, along with tOB, are the only games that havent left me feeling short changed in some way even in spite of the monthly fee, so to me it was definately worth a purchase. Also im looking forward to finally being able to afford a WII this month :D zack and wiki ftw! along with mg, pm and maybe metroid if i can afford it :D.
Avatar image for gamfaqs2gamfaqs
gamfaqs2gamfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gamfaqs2gamfaqs
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts
To me you seem like more of a person that likes RPG 's and long games, like me. I like games like Final Fantasy 12, Oblivion or WOW as you mentioned. However, others dont have the time to dedicate much of their lives to these games. So they look for a fast action game that has a short but satisfying story and gameplay. Nothing like level ups etc. etc.
oddjob2148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 oddjob2148

This all kind of hinges on how much you value the imerssiveness of the SP experience. The hours of play you get out of something like Team Fortress 2 are pretty much always going to eclipse those you get out of SP games. What dedicated single player games do well is put a microscope on the players experience for the time they're playing. A good dedicated single player experience has a good story and characters who develop contained within. Because this is (hopefully) the focus of the game the audio visual aspects of the game are dedicated to helping tell that story. Gameplay can ALSO revolve around the player characer in single player and this can even lead to branching of the plot based on character decisions. Many games are worth replaying so you can experience becoming that/those character/characters again.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that as games hedge further and further into the realm of art there's a lot more to consider than purely gameplay and length.

Uberbadassmufuh

Yea good point, I guess over my years of gaming the feeling I get from beating a sp game and even its imerssiveness has lessoned for me. Well in the vast majority of cases where as if a game has a truely good story I still find myself sucked in no matter what, which is great. But with the prices of games these days I much prefer to rent a mainly sp game, even for a week or so, then keep the money for something which will grab my attention for longer. Well basically Rpg s, esp J-Rpgs :D which thankfully I still like a lot after all these years, although im tireing of the battle systems in most. ES was a step in the right direction imo.

oddjob2148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 oddjob2148

To me you seem like more of a person that likes RPG 's and long games, like me. I like games like Final Fantasy 12, Oblivion or WOW as you mentioned. However, others dont have the time to dedicate much of their lives to these games. So they look for a fast action game that has a short but satisfying story and gameplay. Nothing like level ups etc. etc.gamfaqs2gamfaqs

Yup Rpg s are my pref :D as I am mostly into char development, I like to see the time(and choices) I put in reflected in my chars strengths and even weaknesses :). Thankfully atm I am a slackzor/student :D so can afford some time to play games, although in May that damn real world thingy will come a knocking :( :P