disney resorts to more dirty tactics. disney infinity to have on-disc DLC, more

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

disney infinity will apparently have on-disc DLC. this is straight from the horses mouth. in the past this has led to heavy citicism of the publisher and/or developer o the game for doing this very thing (capcom has been hit hard for this a couple of times).

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/disney-producer-admits-to-on-disc-dlc-in-disney-infinity-hopes-it-isn-t-widespread-reported/0109891

now something very interesting came into discussion the games develop lead said and i quote:

"In the future, as we move on to new versions of consoles we're going to be able to digitally deliver that content, and the figurines themselves will simply be dongles that allow us to then instantiate a download of that content."

does this mean that next gen we will simply see disney have physical object dlc?

#2 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
Come on dude . . . . Dont be "that guy", you don't even like Disney. Atleast your showing interest for Infinity, I gues thats a good thing.
#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (15653 posts) -
I don't mind on-disc dlc myself as I simply consider it a delivering method for the actual content itself and having it already on the disc makes it more convenient in a number of ways. All that concerns me is that if the initial game is worth my money then I'll buy it. If any extra content that they subsequently offer is worth my money then I'll buy that as well.
#4 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Another trend I'm not happy about. While it isn't as bad as, say, microtransactions in $60 games, it still is quite annoying.

#5 Posted by BranKetra (48625 posts) -

disney infinity will apparently have on-disc DLC. this is straight from the horses mouth. in the past this has led to heavy citicism of the publisher and/or developer o the game for doing this very thing (capcom has been hit hard for this a couple of times).

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/disney-producer-admits-to-on-disc-dlc-in-disney-infinity-hopes-it-isn-t-widespread-reported/0109891

now something very interesting came into discussion the games develop lead said and i quote:

"In the future, as we move on to new versions of consoles we're going to be able to digitally deliver that content, and the figurines themselves will simply be dongles that allow us to then instantiate a download of that content."

does this mean that next gen we will simply see disney have physical object dlc?

ionusX
No, it means the content that would be considered on-disc dlc will be offered as a digital download. Improved internet services will be faster. So, this won't occur in the future. The dongles are still going to cost money.
#6 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16439 posts) -

Isn't this game like Skylanders? If it is, then how is this a "dirty tactic?" It would make the whole figure kid toy thing completly pointless if children had to download new characters and areas each time they bought a toy.

#7 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

For a game like Disney Infinity and Skylands, that makes sense.

Delivering the characters via DLC and initiating it through the new toys makes a lot more sense for the consumer and the company than it does to release a sequel a year later.

#8 Posted by c_rakestraw (14682 posts) -

For a game like Disney Infinity and Skylands, that makes sense.

Delivering the characters via DLC and initiating it through the new toys makes a lot more sense for the consumer and the company than it does to release a sequel a year later.

Haziqonfire

Pretty much.

I don't see what the problem is. It's practically a necessity for these kinds of games.

#9 Posted by LessThanMike (5289 posts) -
I never got into the sky landers deal, but I think this Disney one might turn out to be pretty interesting :)