Disappearance of The Split-Screen CoOp Multiplayer Mode

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wenninch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wenninch
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Why is it that so many of the tactical shooter games don't or won't support this simple gameplay feature. I miss being able to sit down with a friend & play a handful of co-op missions together, in the same room, side-by-side. Does anybody else miss this feature, or am I the only one?

On-line gaming is great, but not every one of your friends has an XBox 360 and/or a subscription to XBox Live, plus death match & capture the flag is not the same thing as playing through a campaign.

MOH used to support this; GRAW barely supported it with 4 or 5 missions that were completely separate from the single-player campaign mode; while RB6LV fully supported it by letting 2 players go through the entire campaign storyline together. With my recent game purchase this week, I found thata co-op campaign mode in COD4 MW is completely absent.

Should I give up hope that any future TFPS games with support this feature?

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
Believe in Halo, And It shall Believe in you. Really have to say Bungie did not let us down on this. 4coop online, 2 offline, and lan version. Also can bring 4 buddies online for mutliplayer ^_^
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Absolutely! Although I prefer coop through the single player campaign on the PC and also over LAN, I agree with you in principle. It's still probably the least implemented yet most requested gaming mode.

Coop is just alot of fun! Rainbow Six Vegas was awesome, Serious Sam was a blast, etc. more... http://www.thecoopyears.co.uk

Hard to believe it didn't make it into Blacksite: Area 51, which appeared to be it's biggest selling point during a time of top-notch shooters being released. That should have been more of a priority.

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
Kane and lynch is co-op and it comes out in wednesday.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Yeah, I'm really getting annoyed with the drop of split-screen co-op support, and split-screen support in general... it's so much harder to play games as a social thing without split-screen multiplayer.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Lately there's a little trend going on in gaming where people feel that sitting in a dark room alone at night playing while playing against avatars controlled by other people is infinitely superior then actually socialilzing and playing with friends.

I see it as a phase just like the "must have co-op" in the early '90s or "must have splitscreen" in the N64 days. I mean no offense but when Zelda has online multiplayer and as well as Dragon Quest (actually it almost did to be more accurate) well IMO that's pushing it a little to far.

To stay on topic I think Co-op will eventually comeback and stand with online as a standard, but that's just me though.

hogthershod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 hogthershod
Member since 2003 • 4227 Posts
Game developers are getting lazy because X Box live keeps them from having to re-engineer their game engine to support two screens at once. It's lame, I know, but it's business. I guess they think having XBL co-op is more valuable than split screen. Maybe it is.