Did this ever happen to you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Ok, this is pretty odd but, oh well.

Did you ever make a game project? I think every gamer did: it's all about planning a game we'd like to see. You choose which genre the game belongs to, you write down the control layout, choose a title, think of a storyline.

Now the odd part: did it ever happen to you that, some time after you made your game project, some sofware house comes up with exactly the same game you created?!

It happened to me twice.

The first time with Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. At least one years before the game was announced, I thought it would be niceto have a game like X-Wing on the N64, so I created Rogue Squadron. A year later Lucasarts releases their Rogue Squadron (exact same title), with almost identical control scheme and gameplay. I was a kid back then and was shocked!

The second time it happened with Star Wars: Supremacy (star wars: rebellion in the US). Ages before it was released I had thought of a C&C-like strategy game based on star wars, called Star Wars Supremacy! Then blasted Lucasarts announced a game called exactly the same! I freaked out! I started thinking Lucasarts had microphones in my house!

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

Should have mailed your ideas to yourself. And then you could be a very rich person after getting a huge lawsuit from Lucasarts for copyright enfringement. Silly you :P

With this day in age, where gaming companies are almost reproducing the same ideas, and seldomly coming out with true innovative content, it's best that if you come up with new ideas for a game and draw out a structure to these ideas, mail them to yourself as a cheap way to have it copyright. That way, if someone does come out with a game based off of something you already thought of , you have legal proof to back it up. Dont' forget to date the document before mailing it.

10 years ago, I was lucky enough to have known about this cheap way of a copyright as I created a MUD entitled Legends of the Darkstone. And then 3 years after that, wouldn't you know it, a game comes out on the Playstation entitled Legends of the Darkstone. Well, our lawyers battled it out in court up until 2 years ago and they revoked the game. Besides, I wasn't really all that upset as I knew I was the clear winner as three times as many people had played my MUD versus buying that god awful game that was produced for the Playstation.

Hiro-Nakamura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Hiro-Nakamura
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
You are a loser do you honestly think that lucasarts are spying on you...Go get some friends ****. and its pretty sad to make **** star waars games as well
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

You are a loser do you honestly think that lucasarts are spying on you...Go get some friends ****. and its pretty sad to make **** star waars games as wellHiro-Nakamura

Wow, and I thought troll's only existed in fantasy rpg's.

I'm pretty sure the part about him saying he thinks Lucasarts has microphones in his house was a joke. Lighten up. And if you think Star Wars games are crap, you need to broaden your horizon. I don't play SW games, but I know enough about them to know they aren't crap.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

LOL, fantastic topic. Back when I was lickle, still hooked on Exploding Fist, Yie Ar Kung Fu and International Karate, I imagined a fighter that would feature different characters with different movesets for each one. Back then I was playing on a Commodore 64, and I thought it would be cool if every different move corresponded to a key of the keyboard. That was years before Street Fighter II came out.

Another funny coincidence: When I played Virtua Fighter for the first time, I immediately thought how cool it would be if there was a way to wrap 2D graphics around the polygons. Goes without saying I had never heard of the term "texturing" till then.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Back in the day, I thought of a game that would revolutionize the industry when the N64 came out with Goldeneye. I thought, won't it be awesome to have a second analog kind of like a mouse on a PC? Than I thought of a game that was a sci-fi FPS and made a main character who is a super soldier who never took off his helmet and named him Master Commander where he fought a bunch of aliens known as the Commandments, but the twist was the real enemies were known as the Fall.

Than I thought of the title and I called it "The Space Ring" which was this giant circular weapon in outer space kind of like that circle thing on top of an angel's head. And it was so cool I wanted a trilogy. :D

I wonder if anyone thought of this idea before? :roll:

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

Not sure if this counts but I'm gonna tell you anyway, when I was like 12 I came up with this idea it never got made into a game but instead it got published as a book.

It was called "Stranger Came Ashore" basically I thought of it as a point and click game (Broken Sword-esque)style, where you were part of a family that lived in the Scottish highlands (eerie, misty landscapes, it's where I live) and one day there's a complete stranger comes knocking at the door and basically he seemsweird and mysterious.

Your family get on with himwell... a ittle too well and the whole point of the game is to find out about him and his past etc. Kinda lame now, but not bad considering it was like 10 years ago :P

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Actually, to the TC, this never happened to me before because all my ideas are too original. ;)

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

You are a loser do you honestly think that lucasarts are spying on you...Go get some friends ****. and its pretty sad to make **** star waars games as wellHiro-Nakamura

Yo dood! Me like star waars a bundles!

Also, I don't need any more friends, sice I have hiro-nakamura.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

I thought my story was weird, but... man, vanquish, you managed to get a PS game off the shelves (without buying it, that is)! I wonder if I can still sue Lucasarts for the movie they stole from me back in '74: it was a sci-fi thing with glowstick battles, the main character was called Lucky Shywalker, flying a ship named the Century Fox.

Footnote: hellblazing forum won't let me quote/edit/delete. Fix ye netcode o thou mighty GameSpot webmaster!