Did Gamespot Get Rid of the Perfect 10 Rating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dweed1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dweed1
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Today, I read the GS review for "World in Conflict," which received a 9.5 rating. In the summary,there is no "The Bad" section underneath "The Good," as if there's nothing wrong with the game. I skimmed through the review, and there didn't seem to be any major criticism that kept the game from a 10 rating (I didn't seem to seeany of the typical "jumpy frame rate" or "sound a bit off" cliches that take away points, maybe I missed them). I know the rating system was changed to .5 increments early in the year, but I didn't pay any attention to any information aboutrating keys (sorry).Nevertheless I wonder if the 10 rating still exists, or if 9.5 is as high as it's going to get.

In my opinion, there should still be the 10 rating, because in the future, there is bound to be a perfect game up there with Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur, Chrono Cross, and THPS3-PS2. There is no sane reason that a Perfect 10 game should be revoked .5 points out of neutrality. Why did World in Conflict receive a 9.5 and not a 10? The review didn't seem to answer that question.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
There's also no "The Bad" in the Link to the Past review for the virtual console, and the only thing in the Super Metroid review is that Nintendo didn't re-release it earlier.
AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

Just because something doesn't have a "the bad" doesn't mean it's a flawless game. The good/bad sections are designed to call out significant highlights and lowlights of a game. If a game doesn't have any issues worth noting there, then we don't make stuff up just to fill out the boxes.

The 10 is still capable of happening. Again, a game can be utterly phenomenal but still not a practically flawless representation of its given genre. World In Conflict is indeed amazing, but Jason didn't feel it was quite awesome enough to reach 10 status. That's really all there is to it.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts

Just because something doesn't have a "the bad" doesn't mean it's a flawless game. The good/bad sections are designed to call out significant highlights and lowlights of a game. If a game doesn't have any issues worth noting there, then we don't make stuff up just to fill out the boxes.

The 10 is still capable of happening. Again, a game can be utterly phenomenal but still not a practically flawless representation of its given genre. World In Conflict is indeed amazing, but Jason didn't feel it was quite awesome enough to reach 10 status. That's really all there is to it.

AlexN
This is more of a subjective question, but what would you estimate the worst a game could score without anything significant enough to warrant a "The Bad" section? Maybe this will give a better gauge as to exactly how serious one of those issues is. Not that I'm suggesting not reading the review itself >_>
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
Gamespot is simply reserving a ten for my game. :D
shafrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 shafrox
Member since 2005 • 349 Posts
no game can ever be perfect. Keeping that in mind, is it possible to rate a game with a 10? 9.5 is the best a game can get IMO...
Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

[QUOTE="shafrox"]no game can ever be perfect. Keeping that in mind, is it possible to rate a game with a 10? 9.5 is the best a game can get IMO...dvader654

10 is not perfect, its simply the highest score you can give a game, its biggest honor you can bestow on a game. It is just plain stupid not to use a 10, its part of the scale.

Yeah, GameSpot actually changed the title of 10 from "Perfect" to "Prime" too. So if they score a game a 10/10, they aren't claiming it's perfect, but just what Alex said, a 'practically flawless representation of its given genre'.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

[QUOTE="shafrox"]no game can ever be perfect. Keeping that in mind, is it possible to rate a game with a 10? 9.5 is the best a game can get IMO...dvader654

10 is not perfect, its simply the highest score you can give a game, its biggest honor you can bestow on a game. It is just plain stupid not to use a 10, its part of the scale.

Sure, but the 10 should appear very rarely indeed, otherwise it loses it's glamour.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I thought that was part of the reason for inacting the new rating system. It would allow a game to have a flaw or two and still get that now legendary rating. If anything though I think they've gotten rougher with the ratings since the change. Now I think we'll see the Phantom come out before we see a 10 show up on GS.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

Well it´s because a perfect 10 rating means flawless and even those titles who got one are not worth it.Look at Chrono Cross...it´s a great game,but since almost everybody I know stuck somewhere the game won´t help you a bit in any way and I already think it must be a bug (been everywhere around 5 times...) and the fighting system isn´t the best...

THPS3???Never met anyone who thought it was any better then the 2nd...more much worse...

So a perfect 10 must be fun for almost everyone and I personally didn´t find much games like that.Not because I don´t like many games,but there are just a few who got a 10 from me...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

So a perfect 10 must be fun for almost everyone and I personally didn´t find much games like that.Ash2X

Uh, no. There are no games that will be loved by everyone.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="shafrox"]no game can ever be perfect. Keeping that in mind, is it possible to rate a game with a 10? 9.5 is the best a game can get IMO...Korubi

Yeah, GameSpot actually changed the title of 10 from "Perfect" to "Prime" too. So if they score a game a 10/10, they aren't claiming it's perfect, but just what Alex said, a 'practically flawless representation of its given genre'.

When did that happen? I dont know, I might be the only one defending this, but imo THPS3 prolly deserved that 10...at that point, the game was at the top of its game, and still somewhat resembled skateboarding at its finest...I mean nothing beats the first Ton Hawk Pro Skater, but 3 was a darn good game!