Did Anyone Else Not Like Bioshock?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts

Everytime I say I don't like Bioshock, I get loads of complaints and verbal abuse.So I am going to appeal this to people who didn't like it. So, Did Anyone Else Not Like Bioshock?

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

It might help, if you told why.

The combat was boring, but it still deserves 8.5-9.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

I didn't like BioShock that much really because the combat sucked, the gameplay was repetitive and the story was mediocre at best. However its setting was unique and imaginative, its visuals were very appealing and the Big Daddy is a very iconic and cool looking character.

But overall i think the feeling that i get with BioShock is disappointment and regret.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
Personally I think it's one of the 10 best games ever made. I hated the very very end stroywise.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
The graphics are awesome but the combat sucks and the story also, I was a little bit disappointed
Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
I wouldn't say that I didn't like Bioshock, but it was more of a mediocre experience for me.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
no, you just have poor taste in games.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i did not enjoy what i played of it. the lack of death penalty sucks, and the combat was weak. gamefly'd it and it went back quickly.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Can't say I agree with you there. I lent it to a friend and have been bugging him ever since to finish it so I can go through it again, this time harvesting the little sisters.
Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#10 Dagamemonkey
Member since 2005 • 1480 Posts

You've gotta be kidding me, dude.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

RK-Mara

Yeah what didn't you like?

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

RK-Mara

Pretty much sums up my opinion about the game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
*raises both hands in the air and shakes them violently*

I did not like it at all. As I was playing it I was attempting to force myself to say "I like this game, I have to like it because I was caught up by the hype, why can I not like this game?"

The game ended up being little more than a mediocre attempt at remaking System Shock 2 in a new setting. It had a nonsensical story that really went nowhere. The gameplay was extraordinarily bland and derivative of most shooters in general and especially that of SS2 (and threw out so many of the unique elements that actually gave depth to SS2). The graphics were of course nice as well as the atmosphere, but you cannot make a game solely based on those two points, you need actual content in order to make a game worth playing.

Ken Levine hyped the absolute crap out of the game and I fell for it. Shame really, he could have actually made the true successor to SS2 and made it a cult cIassic... instead he just made yet another overbearingly forced "artsy" game for the consolites.
HaRiZ420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HaRiZ420
Member since 2004 • 260 Posts

Im glad someone brought this up. Bioshock was a horrible game. The combat was stupid, the graphics were medicore at best. The idea was really cool tho. I gave it a 3.5. :)
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I thought Bioshock was overrated. The story, graphics and music are great, but I didn't like the combat, except for the battles against the Big Daddies. It makes using all the different plasmids pointless when you can just stick with a few.
Rifkin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rifkin-
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
The graphics were ok, the story was half-assed, and the game mechanics didn't work very well at all, it felt like a granny shooter, the controls seemed like they were designed for the console and not the PC... so this could be why i didn't like the game at all, i give it a 4.5
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#17 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Can't say I didn't like it, but I can say it is one of the more grossly overrated games. I'm sorry to those fans, but this is NOT the 13th best game of all time. In fact, even GS's score, IMO, is too high given the glaring faults in the game. I gave it an 8.5 and I feel that it doesn't deserve any higher.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
I've got to say, I didnt think much of it either. Its not the worst game I have ever played...but it is nowhere NEAR as good as everyone makes it out to be.
MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts
Bioshock is hot.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I enjoyed it, but I didn't find the game as OMGWTFBBQ! as everyone seemed to. I wrote a somewhat negative review and scored the game 8, which seemed to offend a lot of people.

For me Bioshock can be boiled down to the following:

-The locations and general atmosphere of Rapture are incredible. It really feels like an undersea utopia that has collapsed.
-Voicework is pretty damn good.
-Pretty game, if way, way too shiny.
-Great environmental sounds.

-Combat sucks. Everything but the wrench is useless for 90% of the game, and the only useful plasmid is the shock one. The others are neat once or twice but useless during general gameplay.
-The hacking minigame is terrible. Even when you're pressed for time it just boils down to tapping around uncovering every piece and then slotting them in. There is very little strategy at all.
-Repeatedly taking pictures before every confrontation in the first half of the game is silly, but Bioshock encourages you to do so.
-You've got a 'choice,' apparently, but the only thing it changes is the final full motion video. Yay!
-The final boss sucks and is the epitome of everything wrong with the FPS genre that Bioshock was apparently trying to avoid up until that point. Oops. I guess they figured you had to use up all that ammo you were stockpiling.
-Feedback is nonexistent. Blasting an enemy in the face with a shotgun causes...a healthbar to go down. Where's the torso ripping in pieces? Where's the knockback? Why doesn't the enemy even flinch?
-All the enemies are dumb. Even the Big Daddies are dumb, they just look different than the splicers and take more damage.
-Infinite respawn is silly in this sort of game.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
It's a good game but it's over rated.
Griefing-Sam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Griefing-Sam
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
Bioshock is great if you have a fetish for fat paedophiliac fathers in diving suits. Not to mention that drill on their right hands, they could probably give a mean handjob.
gifteddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 gifteddie
Member since 2007 • 567 Posts
i hated dead rising...anybody else?
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I enjoyed it much.You're just weird.
CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CaptHawkeye
Member since 2004 • 13977 Posts

It's funny how I was saying how much I didn't like Bioshock when it was released. And everyone was freaking out over it. And just like I thought, a few months later and people are realizing just how incredibly over rated it was.

It's even worse if you're an old time FPS/RPG fan. Much less an old System Shock fan. I swear the developers were TRYING to piss them off.

CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaptHawkeye
I enjoyed it much. You've just got different opinions.majadamus
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 majadamus

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I enjoyed it much. You've just got different opinions.CaptHawkeye

Ya, he has a different opinion, so what? But, he's not going with the majority. It's weird he doesn't like Bioshock because the game has been getting rave reviews, and many gamers love it. He is weird. He's out of the norm.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Ya, he has a different opinion, so what? But, he's not going with the majority. It's weird he doesn't like Bioshock because the game has been getting rave reviews, and many gamers love it. He is weird. He's out of the norm. majadamus

The game got most of its rave reviews during the period in which the massive hype was still clouding many people's judgment... including my own. The game is little more than a shiny, simpler, System Shock 2 clone set underwater.
RaRaRandy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RaRaRandy123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yea... I like it a lot. I played through it about 3-4 times on the normal difficulty, then played it on hard. It is a great game. I sold it a month ago and I regret it. It never loses its touch, man, never.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I didn't NOT like Bioshock... Bioshock gets by on atmosphere and art direction. The choice of whether or not to harvest the little sisters isn't much of a choice at all. You essentially decide at the beginning whether you want the 'good' ending or the 'bad' ending. I tried to play through it a second time to get the bad ending, and I ran out of steam. I'm hoping that the new DLC pack breathes some life into the game, because I do want to see the bad ending at some point. It's not a bad game, it just isn't a great game.
Bladefighter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bladefighter23
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts
At first I hated it, I was expecting something more like Halo or Quake. Fast paced all out shooting, I didn't really research what it was about before I got it, I just heard it was supposed to be good. After I played through the first 2 areas I stopped playing. But about 2 weeks ago when I was sick and had nothing else to play I popped it back in and now I'm really enjoying it. It's one of those games people either love or hate I guess.
CaptHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CaptHawkeye

[QUOTE="CaptHawkeye"][QUOTE="majadamus"]I enjoyed it much. You've just got different opinions.majadamus

Ya, he has a different opinion, so what? But, he's not going with the majority. It's weird he doesn't like Bioshock because the game has been getting rave reviews, and many gamers love it. He is weird. He's out of the norm.

And how exactly is this a bad thing?

andoman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 andoman19
Member since 2005 • 90 Posts
i though it was good, and I liked it BUT eh was expecting more.
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

The level design was extremely linear and disencouraged trying to play a different style since there wasn't much benefit. Furthermore, the difficulty was so pathetic that I'm not even sure why someone would try to play a level differently. Contributing factors to the lack of difficulty would be the extremely overpowered wrench tonics, stupid artificial intelligence, electic gel, trap bolts, telekinesis, extremely convenient ammo/first aid kit caches, walking money bags that respawn, extreme tolerance for bullets, and of course, infinite respawns.

I also have issues with the upgrade system. Hunting for them was a pain. I would've rather upgraded at U-Invent stations using spare parts that I found. It would've made much more sense and instead of having to hunt 14 of them down which for stupid reasons shut down afterwards. Multiple upgrades for each gun would've been really great to help develop the RPG aspect of Bioshock. Sure, this sounds way too much like RE4, but even it did a better job at being an RPG than Bioshock since you could choose what weapons you wanted to upgrade which in turn affect play style (not to mention it was an awesome action game that had very memorable moments (Knife Fight!))

I'll leave it at this: I've played much better games in the same genre e.g STALKER, Deus Ex

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#35 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

...and the story was mediocre at best.

Really? I thought the universe/back story to the game was one of the most imaginative I've ever encountered. Granted, the story/twist of your player-character has been done before, but Rapture was amazing.

69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts

RK-Mara

The ending was terrible, the combat sucked and I don't like horror games that much. It definatly didn'tdeserve to get game of the year 2007 (That shouldhave gone to Assassins Creed, Halo 3 or Mass Effect)

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Good game, loved it actually. I would have preferred if it was even more different than a standard FPS, just like System Shock 2 was. I dunno, perhaps if it was more of an RPG.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]

69ANT69

The ending was terrible, the combat sucked and I don't like horror games that much. It definatly didn'tdeserve to get game of the year 2007 (That shouldhave gone to Assassins Creed, Halo 3 or Mass Effect)

Erm... Where did it get a GOTY? And Bioshock a horror game? I wasn't scared even once.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gammit10
[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]

69ANT69

I liked the ending myself. I don't understand why every game must adhere to the paradigm of super-challenging boss battle. The ending was different, which I enjoyed.

I agree that it shouldn't be game of the year, but where was it awarded so?

Neither Assassins Creed nor Halo 3 should get game of the year, from any media outlet. Mass Effect, on the other hand, has been alot of fun so far.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gammit10

The level design was extremely linear and disencouraged trying to play a different style since there wasn't much benefit. Furthermore, the difficulty was so pathetic that I'm not even sure why someone would try to play a level differently. Contributing factors to the lack of difficulty would be the extremely overpowered wrench tonics, stupid artificial intelligence, electic gel, trap bolts, telekinesis, extremely convenient ammo/first aid kit caches, walking money bags that respawn, extreme tolerance for bullets, and of course, infinite respawns.

I also have issues with the upgrade system. Hunting for them was a pain. I would've rather upgraded at U-Invent stations using spare parts that I found. It would've made much more sense and instead of having to hunt 14 of them down which for stupid reasons shut down afterwards. Multiple upgrades for each gun would've been really great to help develop the RPG aspect of Bioshock. Sure, this sounds way too much like RE4, but even it did a better job at being an RPG than Bioshock since you could choose what weapons you wanted to upgrade which in turn affect play style (not to mention it was an awesome action game that had very memorable moments (Knife Fight!))

I'll leave it at this: I've played much better games in the same genre e.g STALKER, Deus Ex

Technoweirdo

I agree that the level design was not very open, but that didn't bother me. The wrench tonics were a tad bit overpowered when stacked, weren't they?

I had no problem with the infinite respawns, once the reason for them was explained. Unfortunately, you had to stick with the game until the end in order to get that explanation.

The many vending machines was also explained well, but on another site. Basically, once the war between Fontaine and Ryan got out in the open, these vending machines were placed everywhere for people to always have access to a method of self-defense. That's still a little cheesy, but at least it "kinda" makes sense.... I guess.

I think I only found about 4-5 weapon upgrade stations myself. I also agree that it would have been cooler to have that ability at the U-invent machines.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 majadamus
[QUOTE="majadamus"]

[QUOTE="CaptHawkeye"][QUOTE="majadamus"]I enjoyed it much. You've just got different opinions.CaptHawkeye

And how exactly is this a bad thing?

I didn't say it was.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I enjoyed it. I found it to be a breath of fresh air for FPS games this year. Seriously enough with aliens. It wasnt perfect but it was unique and enjoyable, one of the best games I played this year actually. And I played on hard mode so I was thankfull for those damn vita chambers....
SpecNav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpecNav
Member since 2002 • 82 Posts
I loved the game when I was playing it. It was creepy, atmospheric, and fun, but the end battle was pretty weak so I was somewhat disappointed there.
Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#44 Dagamemonkey
Member since 2005 • 1480 Posts

All in all I say it's a worthy addition to the System Shock universe, or along those lines.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#45 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I didn't hate it, in fact I gave it an 8.0 which is great. But for a game that supposedly is the second coming of Christ, I was a bit dissappointed. It was to me a generic shooter with a high production value and no replay value essentially, and the shooting part was mediocre at best. Also, the "moral choices" are quite easy to make, either suck the adam out of the Little Sisters or kill the parasite. Ooohhh...

Mass Effect, now that's a game where your decisions impact your outcome.

So I didn't dislike Bioshock, but it was pretty forgettable after the first run through honestly (I got like 45 of the 50 achievements on my first play through, I could have had them all if I paid more attention and played on hard).

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
never played it myself but from what i saw was not very appealing to me. so it really surprises me it was that hyped and received AAA accolades.
jericho180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jericho180
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts
i thought bioshoclk had an ok combat sequence. you have plaenty of ways to enter every battle. many options to choose from. and yes i must say that the storyline was very boring. but i also thought that the ememies got very old very fast. how long could you fight splicer and splicer over and over until getting bored with an occasional big daddy. plasmids helped though. trying diferent techniques. but still. it gets old. but the setting was very cool. so i would hafta say it somewhere in between. it had ok gameplay. bad story, good setting and graphics.
RacerKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RacerKiller
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Bioshock is one of the most atmospheric games I've played, which adds alot, however the combat is extremely repetive, almost every enemy acts the same, splicers and more splicers, even the bosses are acts as a splicer, only with more life and damage. The combat simply isn't fun after a while.

The style of Bioshock is perfect, every place has great detail and amazing design. The story is great, you'll really wonder what caused the chaos in the underwater city of rapture.

Since most of the time playing Bioshock is fighting, the game fails at being fun all through, much is just boring. I'd rather seen Bioshock as an full RPG than the pathetic "casual RPG" it tries to be with the tonics and magics.

greenghost123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 greenghost123
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

[QUOTE="majadamus"]Ya, he has a different opinion, so what? But, he's not going with the majority. It's weird he doesn't like Bioshock because the game has been getting rave reviews, and many gamers love it. He is weird. He's out of the norm. foxhound_fox

The game got most of its rave reviews during the period in which the massive hype was still clouding many people's judgment... including my own. The game is little more than a shiny, simpler, System Shock 2 clone set underwater.

Indeed, many people don't realize (or maybe they do, but don't care) that developers have like a week to beat a game, as such they might be fooled by the graphics and sound, and not get immeresed in the gameplay,finish it as fast as possible, with pressure from execs to get a review up as quick as possible, plus they'll cut a few (or alot) corners to 'technically' beat the game, and since that Jeff incident (if he really did get fired for giving that game a bad review) happened, for all we know some reviewers a give a game a good score from fear of losing their job. So what the hell do they know about replayability in games if they beat the game in 1 week tops and stopped playing when they are writing said review.

keithburgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 keithburgun
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
it seems to me that in order to have really liked bioshock someone would have to have not played System Shock 2. I thought bioshock was just a dumbed-down version of SS2, it didn't interest me at all.