Deus Ex HR vs Dishonored?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

Which one is better and should be bought first. Since I haven't played any of them before I might give them a go at this point.

Both seem to have RPG elements but Dues Ex seem to be a bit deeper than Dishonoured.

The question is which has better story, gameplay and replayability.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Deus Ex, by far. Dishonored is a good game, but if you are looking for an RPG it's not the right pick, it's basically Bioshock meets Thief.

Deus Ex HR has more replay value I'd say, since you will want to go back and make different choices to see how things play out.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Deus Ex HR

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#4 SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

Deus Ex HR

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I own both. Love both. But Deus Ex is better.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#6  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Dues Ex by a long shot. Buy the directors cut.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@brodelin said:

Which one is better and should be bought first. Since I haven't played any of them before I might give them a go at this point.

Both seem to have RPG elements but Dues Ex seem to be a bit deeper than Dishonoured.

The question is which has better story, gameplay and replayability.

Dishonored

Deus Ex HR is a terrible game in comparison to Dishonored.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 brodelin

OK thnx for the respone, getting Dues Ex first then.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Both are great but I think Deus Ex is abit better.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Both are good games, but each has its strength when compared to the other. Deus Ex plays like... well... a Deus Ex game. You go to a city hub area where you can wander around and talk to different people and optionally take on side quests prior to doing story missions that progress the plot. The cyberpunk, sci-fi setting is very well realized and the RPG elements are deeper than in Dishonored and there's a lot more dialog to the story with branching conversation options and a fun "persuasion" system.

Dishonored plays more like a good Thief game. You are plopped into missions that take place in a fairly open area that has multiple paths to a solution. Your character is very mobile so the maps are large both horizontally and vertically with lots of bonus items and lore to be found if you explore. The game also gives you a performance breakdown after each mission in terms of how many people you killed, knocked out, items found, alarms set off, etc.

While Deus Ex had a more epic story that questioned philosophy, the path of human evolution and mankind's affect on it, and how socio-econimic boundaries could create a tremendous class rift in a cyberpunk society, it fell a bit short by the end. Dishonored also had a good story about betrayal, the fate of a kingdom and the morality of revenge.

Overall, both were great games but I might have to give the edge to Disnohored because I felt it was the more complete overall game. While Deus Ex was more complex, I had a few issues with its execution (especially compared to the first game). It was a tad short, the areas were smaller than I expected, the boss battles were poorly designed, there were fewer 'hub' cities to explore, and there was no New Game Plus option which decreased the replay value. However, the new Director's Cut version of the game fixes at least some of these issues by integrating the single player DLC into the main game, redesigning the boss battles, and adding a New Game Plus option.

Dishonored's mission structure, on the other hand, lends the game to better replay value. You can replay individual missions to try for better results in each mission, there are "challenge" maps you can play and two single player DLC packs that act as a side story to the main game.

Both games are great, it just depends on what you think you'd like more based on the descriptions of each. Most people will probably give the edge to Deus Ex, though, because it's the more complex and "open world" of the two games.

-Byshop

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 brodelin

Good post Byshop, very informative. I will certainly get both games soon since there is nothing interesting coming out right now but Ill start off with Deus Ex Director's Cut.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Gee let me think...

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION!

IMO is's the best game of the last gen. I did really enjoy Dishonored but I think that's because in essence it's just Deus Ex re-skinned. In that case why settle for an inferior copy when you can get the glorious original instead.

Make sure you get the Director's Cut of Deus Ex and you'll be saved from the worst boss fights in video game history.

Oh and play stealth. Makes the game twice as fun.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brodelin

@withe1982 said:

Gee let me think...

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION!

IMO is's the best game of the last gen. I did really enjoy Dishonored but I think that's because in essence it's just Deus Ex re-skinned. In that case why settle for an inferior copy when you can get the glorious original instead.

Make sure you get the Director's Cut of Deus Ex and you'll be saved from the worst boss fights in video game history.

Oh and play stealth. Makes the game twice as fun.

Why, is run n' gun not viable? or a mix in between?

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

I beat both games with stealth without killing anyone and both games have room for improvement.

HR can improve by having guards walk more than one path like Dishonored.

Dishonored can improve by having a stealthy option for putting down guards. Every time I took a incapacitated body and threw it down, it would always create a loud noise. Pain in the ass. Also the game was a lot easier with slowing down time and teleporting with the bodies.

Dishonored's ending was more satisfying than HR but HR creates better atmosphere and has a better story/characters. The extra hidden stuff (logs, computer notes) are also better in HR than Dishonored.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Tough one. I'll go with Dishonored, if only because I absolutely loved the art direction and setting they went with. Deus Ex: HR was a great game, don't get me wrong, but Dishonored just itches my need for Thief in a way Deus Ex doesn't (because, y'know, it's supposed to scratch the Deus Ex itch :P).

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I just bought Dishonored GOTY. It should arrive tomorrow, and I'll let you know what I think.

I'll have to pick up Deus Ex HR so I can compare them. I heard it was insanely easy even on the hardest difficulty setting. Maybe the director's cut fixed this?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I loved both of them. I'll recommend Deus Ex HR first as it's more RPG-like and I also found it to have better replayability value.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I was definitely more engrossed in Dues Ex's narrative, more. However, Dishonored felt more like a complete game to me. Everything seemed tied together better.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

as a pure stealth game, dishonored wins hands down. deus ex hr wins from an rpg / story based angle.

overall, as a fan of stealth games, i'd go with dishonored. the boss fights in deus ex hr were far worse than any aspect of dishonored

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#20 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Deus Ex No Doubt .