Destructoid: Xbone's UI is clean and fast, Kinect can control living room

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The UI runs fast, anyone can log in from anywhere (the system can recognize people through their faces and voices) and their profile data will download from the cloud to the local system and the system can run four apps and a game simultaneously. Also, the Xbone via Kinect can control anything which uses a remote in the living room no matter where they are placed since it saturates everything with IR beams (even bouncing beams off of walls). You can have 1000 friends and an unlimited number of followers. In 2013 you can only post videos to XBL but in 2014 you'll be able to post to places like Facebook and Youtube. Pictures and detailed impressions at the link.

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-interface-is-clean-uncluttered-262315.phtml

Working with full production Xbox One hardware, we saw the UI running on what was essentially a final hardware unit. Content was being populated in real time from Microsoft HQ. They ran full test code in front of us, so no canned demos here.

Penella signed into the dash by just waving his hand. Actually, work went on to do so in the background before he even did that, as the Kinect was already seeing and trying to recognize everyone in the room. Waving was more of a confirmation that he was the one that wanted to sign in. From that confirmation, Xbox One pulls down all of Penella's settings, just as he had set up in Redmond, including all of his saved games, apps, and settings.

---------------------------------------

This is how it works on any Xbox One. Using someone else's Xbox 360 to sign in was next to impossible with required recovery work. No more of that now. Just pop in your ID and it'll immediately start pulling down your content and settings from the cloud. This works from anywhere in the world, too.

Speaking of signing in, Xbox One is friendly to multiple users. The previous systems were not. Now, six users can sign in at one time. Kinect is always watching to know who is in the lead in this case. It sees who is holding the controller and recognizes your voice among others. You could be in a room with five other people logged in and call out to launch a game, and it would do so with your settings and saves intact.

Game capture is pretty slick. We saw a marble maze game get instant capture of the last 30 seconds of buffered frames from a simple voice command. Xbox One's Upload Studio had a 720p 30fps clip waiting immediately after. Users can quickly edit, save, or share this clip with further commands. Another voice command can have you back in the game just as quickly.

Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.

#2 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

The UI runs fast, anyone can log in from anywhere (the system can recognize people through their faces and voices) and their profile data will download from the cloud to the local system and the system can run four apps and a game simultaneously. Also, the Xbone via Kinect can control anything which uses a remote in the living room no matter where they are placed since it saturates everything with IR beams (even bouncing beams off of walls). You can have 1000 friends and an unlimited number of followers. In 2013 you can only post videos to XBL but in 2014 you'll be able to post to places like Facebook and Youtube. Pictures and detailed impressions at the link.

Working with full production Xbox One hardware, we saw the UI running on what was essentially a final hardware unit. Content was being populated in real time from Microsoft HQ. They ran full test code in front of us, so no canned demos here.

Penella signed into the dash by just waving his hand. Actually, work went on to do so in the background before he even did that, as the Kinect was already seeing and trying to recognize everyone in the room. Waving was more of a confirmation that he was the one that wanted to sign in. From that confirmation, Xbox One pulls down all of Penella's settings, just as he had set up in Redmond, including all of his saved games, apps, and settings.

This is how it works on any Xbox One. Using someone else's Xbox 360 to sign in was next to impossible with required recovery work. No more of that now. Just pop in your ID and it'll immediately start pulling down your content and settings from the cloud. This works from anywhere in the world, too.

Speaking of signing in, Xbox One is friendly to multiple users. The previous systems were not. Now, six users can sign in at one time. Kinect is always watching to know who is in the lead in this case. It sees who is holding the controller and recognizes your voice among others. You could be in a room with five other people logged in and call out to launch a game, and it would do so with your settings and saves intact.

Game capture is pretty slick. We saw a marble maze game get instant capture of the last 30 seconds of buffered frames from a simple voice command. Xbox One's Upload Studio had a 720p 30fps clip waiting immediately after. Users can quickly edit, save, or share this clip with further commands. Another voice command can have you back in the game just as quickly.

Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.

CarnageHeart

Nice!! The smart features on this device trump my Samsung and Panasonic smart TVs. I am one of the few here excited about the added value features of the XB1 and I am looking forward to trying these features out.

#3 Posted by Inferi-Fang (78 posts) -

That's cool. Glad to hear the UI is fast.

#4 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

There are only two devices in my room that use a IR controller (TV and DVR) so I don't see that feature to control everything in the living room as being that amazing. Still, those are some neat features, but not enough to drive large consumer interest.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (16153 posts) -
Wow. That all sounds really awesome. Personally I love all these extra features put into consoles as they give it more value and convenience for me.
#6 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Very cool. Unfortunately for me I have a whopping two devices in my living room that it would work with so it means pretty much nothing to me. 

Still, happy to hear it functions well and that the UI is fast.

#7 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Areez

Nice!! The smart features on this device trump my Samsung and Panasonic smart TVs. I am one of the few here excited about the added value features of the XB1 and I am looking forward to trying these features out.

I think most normal people are fine with cool extra functions on consoles. This stuff sounds great.
#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (8192 posts) -
Am I the only one that finds 90% of these features extremely superfluous, features that will more than likely extend barely past the point of novelty in usefullness after the honeymoon period has passed? Will it eventually cook my dinner for me too?

Perhaps I'm simply hesitant to bring something of such capability into my home. I can't see myself using much more than saying "Xbox on".
#9 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Very cool. Unfortunately for me I have a whopping two devices in my living room that it would work with so it means pretty much nothing to me.

Still, happy to hear it functions well and that the UI is fast.

IndianaPwns39

Same here. Like I've said before, I think the ability to control a room is an obsession of big companies and has been for several years, but is the answer to a question few consumers are asking. There is more tech than ever in people's lives, but most of it is portable.

Still, I thought the 1000 friends thing was cool.

#10 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

But can Kinect cook perfect steaks?

#11 Posted by luno-gamer (405 posts) -

Is my XB1 going to be able to see everything that goes on in my living room? >.>

#12 Posted by Ish_basic (4106 posts) -

Am I the only one that finds 90% of these features extremely superfluous, features that will more than likely extend barely past the point of novelty in usefullness after the honeymoon period has passed? Will it eventually cook my dinner for me too?

Perhaps I'm simply hesitant to bring something of such capability into my home. I can't see myself using much more than saying "Xbox on". MirkoS77

It's spectacle. Not gonna make my life easier and I probably won't even notice it until it breaks and I have to get it fixed.

But Value-added has invaded every other home appliance, so why not consoles? I remember when thermostats used to be a knob to set the temp and a switch for heat/ac. Now they've all got OSs...you know, to make my life easier. Convenience will be the death of us all.

#13 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -
I'm surprised that the lousy CPU they decided to use can keep up with all that stuff and manage to run smoothly without crashing.
#14 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I just want my console to play video games well. 

#15 Posted by firefox59 (4485 posts) -

Personally I'm really looking forward to the gameplay record feature that both consoles seem to have. Going into this gen I didn't think being able to save the last 30 secs of play at any time would be a feature that would be available. It's also nice to get confirmation that the UI is as fast as the reveal conference presented it.