Destiny - First Impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Disclaimer before I begin: I'm only at level 12, and my time spent on multiplayer is limited to only two matches. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS AN OFFICIAL REVIEW! That will come after I've done the following: 1) finished the main campaign missions, 2) reached the main level cap and started on the end-game stuff, and 3) completed several of the different types of multiplayer matches. With that said, here goes.

The time I've spent with Destiny has been a rather enlightening experience for me. I went in expecting a fun open-world shooter with great online features. What I got instead was that, plus one of the most engaging and beautiful worlds I've ever seen in a game.

The worlds you explore are nothing short of beautiful. From the rust-covered old steel and machinery in Old Russia on Earth to the lush jungles of Venus (as scientifically inaccurate as that sounds for you science buffs), the world is a wonder to behold. Even on the PS3, the visuals impress, right down to the great animations of the inhabitants of this world, both malicious and benign. the atmosphere is one of dread, as the worlds you explore have been partially consumed by the darkness of your foes, but it also instills a sense of hope that maybe you can make things better, which is always welcome in such a dark atmosphere.

Exploring the many worlds of this game is a treat, as it's very open. Though the topside areas might not seem so big to most open-world players, it's the sheer number of tunnels and underground areas that really make it seem huge. The best way I can describe it is that its dense without being too big. You can collect various plants around the world to sell, as well as find chests containing loot, much like Borderlands. However, it's not as overwhelming as it is with the Borderlands series, and that's for the best. It doesn't prioritize looting over combat, and for an FPS, that's always a good thing.

The mechanics are well done. They're about as simplistic as they get for a first-person shooter, and yet I've never played a better FPS in my life. Everything feels great and moves fluidly. Your guns have a good amount of weight to them, as do the various special abilities you obtain. It avoids having the arcade-style of shooting that Call of Duty is known for, having more of the slower, more methodical movements of the Halo series, though here they're significantly better. With the numerous types of guns you can collect

Using these mechanics against your foes is also a challenge, as these are some of the most aggressive and intelligent enemies I've encountered in this genre. So far I've fought the Fallen, the Hive, and the Vex. The Fallen like to strategize a bit, and will do their best to flank you as well as overwhelm you with both numbers and bullets, and they love to dodge. The Hive have firepower and numbers on their side. They will not stop shooting at you, and will send their thralls at you at any moment, and can quickly overwhelm you at any level. The Vex are very robotic, and will decisively shoot at you with their numbers. The fact that they take more hits than usual as well as having a different weak spot than their heads make them a bit tougher to take out, but still engaging. These are enemies I've been looking for: intelligent enough to shoot at you when they see you, as well as avoiding your shots, while not being so unpredictable as to be broken.

As for unpredictable, the story has thrown me for a few loops already. It's slow to start, admittedly, and some of the dialogue is about as average and cliched as you can imagine. However, I get the feeling that all the cinematic stuff and the plot developments are meant to as a way to hype your guardian up and build him/her into the ultimate badass for the end-game. There's a lot of "show, don't tell" moments within the environments and the plot, and much more of doing when it comes to portraying your combat skills. It might seem to fall a bit flat on the "traditional" storytelling methods, but I'm slowly getting the feeling that this is a game where you can truly build your own story based on the context and world being presented. The campaign is for turning you into a badass, and the endgame, I suspect, is going to be you making a name for yourself by being the badass you've built yourself into.

And you can do that with fellow players as well, with it being heavy on its online co-op. Teaming up with two other guardians and completing missions and patrol mini-quests on the maps is nothing short of fun, no matter who you team up with. Especially with the strike missions, where you're tested in a gauntlet of tough enemies with two others, the game definitely wants to build up co-op as THE reason to play. Mind you, playing solo is engaging enough on its own, but the game really comes to life when you're interacting with other players.

And that interaction also comes into play with the Crucible: the competitive part of the multiplayer. Unlike Halo or Call of Duty, you're given free reign to use your powers and your massive arsenal within each match, with the small price of them being balanced so that they're all equal in power no matter what, which is the type of balance I like to see. It's 6v6 on maps that have a big vertical element to them, so teams can fire upon each other from anywhere, which makes teamwork essential to gaining the upper hand. I've only played Control, which is a zone capture/domination mode, but I'm sure the same will be done with the rest of the modes.

And those are my impressions of Destiny. If you've been playing it and would like to give your thoughts, feel free in the comments section. Like I said, this isn't a review, so don't treat it like one. As this is a big game, there are a lot of impressions to be made, hence the length.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Guns not balanced don't even have to play the game to know that, saw the live stream.

Better be a hardmode

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

So liek, I've been playing too much. Level 22.

Venus was everything I wanted it to be and I've only just done the first area on Mars. On Mars you meet the Cabal, which is basically another space faring race that has moved in on our solar system while humanity has been pressed back at earth. So it's fitting that they fight very much like the players. It's been a nice variety enemy-wise.

I do appreciate that the game is not forcing you to play it one way. If you want to make a character and do nothing but pvp, you can level easily doing that. If you want to follow the story, go ahead. If you want to just tackle high level strikes again and again, working on your gear to prep for endgame, that's fine too. It's nice because they realize people are going to be going through this more than once, so they don't force you to do it the exact same way every time. As an altaholic, I hate when games like this make you run the same missions over and over to level your characters. For me, it means the freedom to put down story mode for awhile and try my luck at the loot rolls on lvl 22 strikes.

I thought the story started to get interesting when you meet the awoken. It's not so I much that I need to know what's happening next as this whole concept of the Reef, and...other things I don't want to spoil...it's just a very well thought out setting and makes me want to hear more.

On the RPG front, I upgraded to directional boost while jumping rather than height coupled with the shoulder charge ability and discharge, which basically turns your melee attack into chain lighting if you kill with it. And if you trigger the charge while airborne you get a flying knee. Immediately it has me thinking about the flying knee in Double Dragon 2 that was so powerful. Love it...and the game goes to third person so you can better witness your badassery. Had a group of hive and I dove in...it gives you this wind effect like you've hit high speeds..knee'd the guy in the middle and the whole group vaporized. It was beautiful. Having a little trouble mastering the super man punch variant of fists of havoc. I'm thinking that works better with the vertical jump boost, but flying knees are just too badass with the directional boost.

I am a little annoyed because I know the PS4/X1 can do better than this visually...i have a similar spec PC and it does better than this. It's such a beautiful game conceptually that it's a shame it doesn't have the full visual fidelity that next gen consoles are capable of. Maybe in a year we'll be done with cross-gen development.

Also, moar sword lvls.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I liked it from what i tried in the beta and i am going to start it up tonight

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

I liked it from what i tried in the beta and i am going to start it up tonight

Same but I didn't play the beta. First game I bought on pure hype. Fingers crossed.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@marcheegsr: I try not to buy games on hype anymore ever since Assassin's Creed III. But I played the beta and I was instantly hooked.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@marcheegsr: I try not to buy games on hype anymore ever since Assassin's Creed III. But I played the beta and I was instantly hooked.

Not going to lie I played for about 2 hours so far and I would say its worth the money. Halo meets Borderlands is a good thing.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

The Hive and Fallen's AI must have been improved since the beta, because they were not as smart or aggressive on hard mode in the beta as you have described in your impressions