Destiny details from GI. Full story campaign.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Details from GAF:

From the Game Informer issue:

While Destiny offers a robust multiplayer experience, everything branches out from the exploration, leveling, and shooting. Destiny encourages you to move in and out of interactions with other players at your leisure, but you can also spend entire sessions tackling story missions and side content without the aid of others.

Like a traditional single-player shooter, Destiny features a cinematic story with a clear conclusion.

"

There is a very defined storyline, with a beginning, middle and end

," says head of community Eric Osborne.

"For those who want to binge and concentrate on story, you can have what feels like a very directed, cinematic experience

."

On planets and exploration:

Each location in Destiny is a grand open space for exploration, adventures, and discovery. These first 5 destinations (Mars, Venus, the Moon, Old Russia, and The Tower) are a sampling of what's to come; Destiny's fiction clearly establishes all the planets, moons, asteroids and other features of our solar system as fair game for exploration.

Free-roaming the worlds:

A tour through Old Russia offers a clear representation of free-roaming flow. Some may remember the E3 demo of Destiny. A scripted mission played out underneath a massive wall, ending in a larger public battle against a Fallen tank mech.

However, turn a few different corners, and you emerge beyond the wall into a free-roaming countryside.
With a button press, you can hop on your personal vehicle and skim across the grasslands at high speed. Off to the side, a small sea gleams in the sunlight, with ancient rusted ship hulks jutting up from the shoals.

"We want people to come back to these places, explore, find new places to go, and have new reasons to come back."

Details on some of the planets:

Old Russia

Here players can explore the ruins of the Cosmodrome, a real location in Kazakhstan that serves as a launch site for the Russian space program. The Cosmodrome was humanity's bridge to outer space; it's now home to colony ships forgotten in the wake of its collapse

Venus

Once a scientific research settlement for humanity, it has now become engulfed in a jungle and a sulphuric storm rages. The buildings are being eroded away by the ocean but at its centre is the Vex citadel, a tower with an unknown purpose.

Mars

Formerly a thriving metropolis, it is now buried under a sand, with only the peaks of skyscrapers visible. It's home to the Cabal, who are clashing with the Vex.

The Tower

Home for the guardians, described as "Earth's Camelot". This is where players will be able to purchase items from vendors, turn in quest items, and interact with other players. It also has "class-focused areas" for Titans, Warlocks, and Hunters

Moon

Infested by the Hive, the moon's surface has splintered and spread around space. It once housed a human colony, but much of it has been buried in lunar soil.

#2 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

So you can play alone if you'd like but you HAVE TO BE ONLINE. If you get disconnected you can't play.

That kind of sucks but its still great to have a full campaign that can be played alone. I am very excited for this game.

#3 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

Every time when an MMO promised a campaign that can be played solo, it has turned out to be shit because this is obviously not the focus of an MMO, so I'm not holding my breath.

#4 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10607 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

Every time when an MMO promised a campaign that can be played solo, it has turned out to be shit because this is obviously not the focus of an MMO, so I'm not holding my breath.

Destiny is not a MMO.

#5 Edited by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@UpInFlames said:

Destiny is not a MMO.

I realize that Bungie is for some reason avoiding branding it an an MMO (rather calling it a "shared world shooter", haha) and many people have obviously fallen for it, but regardless what they say, Destiny has many key elements that make it an MMO - persistent world, dynamic events, raids, etc.

In short, it's an MMO.

#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (30107 posts) -

Kudos to Bungie for at least attempting to have a SP campaign, even if it is online-only.

#7 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

So you can play alone if you'd like but you HAVE TO BE ONLINE. If you get disconnected you can't play.

That kind of sucks but its still great to have a full campaign that can be played alone. I am very excited for this game.

Agreed on all points.

This is going to be one of my big PS4 games. Looks like Bungie is focusing on that one and I'm a huge Bungie fan after Halo so I want the best version of their next title. Really eager to get this game. And the beta for that matter. :)

#9 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6250 posts) -

Looking forward to this... just hope it's a true SP experience like they are promising.

#10 Posted by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -

Really, really want this. Public events are the only real innovation MMOs have seen in the past...well, almost a decade. Every time I play a game with them, I have memorable experiences. Hopefully these events will chain into multiple potential scenarios based on player results. I love the battlefield events in GW2, where one minute your backs are to the wall, defending an assault against a friendly town, and the next you're hopping picket lines, fighting through trenches to the champion boss at the heart of the enemy camp. I see this as basically Borderlands meets MMO, which is a good thing. Could be epic if they do it right.

#11 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@UpInFlames said:

Destiny is not a MMO.

I realize that Bungie is for some reason avoiding branding it an an MMO (rather calling it a "shared world shooter", haha) and many people have obviously fallen for it, but regardless what they say, Destiny has many key elements that make it an MMO - persistent world, dynamic events, raids, etc.

In short, it's an MMO.

No not the same. You are not connected to a gigantic group of people that share the same world as you all the time. You exist in your own world and randomly you connect to small groups of people who are around the same area as you. There is no home you buy, you don't live out your life online.

Its simply a giant open world FPS with moments where you connect randomly to others.

#12 Edited by BranKetra (48785 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@dvader654 said:

Agreed on all points.

This is going to be one of my big PS4 games. Looks like Bungie is focusing on that one and I'm a huge Bungie fan after Halo so I want the best version of their next title. Really eager to get this game. And the beta for that matter. :)

If I could be guaranteed granted access to the Destiny beta by pre-ordering that full game this month, I would.

#13 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Looking forward to this... just hope it's a true SP experience like they are promising.

i'm looking forward to it too, but i wouldn't expect much from a single player experience with this game. you'll probably be able to play solo if you actively avoid other players, but i think it will be kinda bare bones that way.

#14 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@dvader654 said:

Agreed on all points.

If I could be guaranteed granted access to the Destiny beta by preordering the game this month, I would.

Did they stop letting pre-orders have beta codes? When I grabbed a pre-order at GameStop is just printed on the receipt and I punched it in on Bungie's site. I thought they were going to keep it going up until the beta comes out.

#15 Edited by BranKetra (48785 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@BranKetra said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@dvader654 said:

Agreed on all points.

If I could be guaranteed granted access to the Destiny beta by preordering the game this month, I would.

Did they stop letting pre-orders have beta codes? When I grabbed a pre-order at GameStop is just printed on the receipt and I punched it in on Bungie's site. I thought they were going to keep it going up until the beta comes out.

Actually, I do not know. I will talk with some stores.

#16 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@BranKetra: HERE is a link to the page on Bungie's site. Doesn't say anything about them stopping the beta code giveaway.

#17 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6250 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

i'm looking forward to it too, but i wouldn't expect much from a single player experience with this game. you'll probably be able to play solo if you actively avoid other players, but i think it will be kinda bare bones that way.

Yeah I don't mind the odd MP "event" in the world like they are saying, but not too many of them.

#18 Edited by sukraj (23060 posts) -

I cant wait to try out the single player.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (48785 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@BranKetra: HERE is a link to the page on Bungie's site. Doesn't say anything about them stopping the beta code giveaway.

Bungie has stated on the site the beta keys will continue to be given while supplies last. They might be low already since Destiny is a popular game.

#20 Posted by Boddicker (2820 posts) -

The whole point of an MMORPG is telling your own story, not some pre-scripted bullshit for casuals.

Epic fail Bungie.

#21 Edited by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

No not the same. You are not connected to a gigantic group of people that share the same world as you all the time. You exist in your own world and randomly you connect to small groups of people who are around the same area as you. There is no home you buy, you don't live out your life online.

Its simply a giant open world FPS with moments where you connect randomly to others.

You have a pretty odd understanding of what is an MMO. You seem to be confusing MMORPG with MMO, and Destiny is an MMOFPS. Planetside 2 doesn't have a "home to buy" or whatever, but it's still an MMO (FPS). The only real difference here is that Destiny won't utilize servers, but rather matchmaking on a smaller scale which will most likely make it shittier. It's kind of like a dumbed down console-centric MMO (like The Division).

#22 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@dvader654 said:

You have a pretty odd understanding of what is an MMO. You seem to be confusing MMORPG with MMO, and Destiny is an MMOFPS. Planetside 2 doesn't have a "home to buy" or whatever, but it's still an MMO (FPS). The only real difference here is that Destiny won't utilize servers, but rather matchmaking on a smaller scale which will most likely make it shittier. It's kind of like a dumbed down console-centric MMO (like The Division).

I dont know if there is one true definition of an MMO. Clearly Bungie thinks Destiny is not an MMO, and I much rather take their word for it than yours.

They way I have always seen it is an MMO has a persistent world where hundreds or thousands are logged in at a time living out their game together. That is not the case with Destiny. I don't see why that would make it worse, it allows for better planning of scripted events which leads to a better game.