Dead Rising 2. Why didn't they put in an autosave?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

I just started on Dead Rising 2 and I have never appreciated how much I enjoy auto saving and checkpoints until now. The game punishes you by erasing 30-40 minutes of gameplay when you die.

To be fair, the game does tell you to save often. I learned my listen after losing about 2 hours of gameplay today.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Why wouldn't you just save often.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Or you could always try not sucking at Dead Rising. :P

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

The thing of it is that the way the gameplay is structured, you're constantly near a save point. There's always a bathroom or porto-john somewhere you can reach. Making it autosave could take away a lot of the experimentation. Those times when you finish for the day and save, then decide "OK, I'll pick up here tomorrow. But I still want to see what's around the corner over there and everything from here on is superfluous". Without the autosave, you can find new combos or hidden items, play as you like. But with an auto-save, you're always on the metaphorical clock. And Dead Rising is all about experimental gameplay.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

i personally can't stand auto save, especially games with which its your only means of saving, i will never understand why all games can't just have a save when ever feature, games like Bioshock, Deus Ex, Skyrim, and even the old Tomb Raider games are perfect examples of this, THAT is how saving should be done imo.

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts

I totally agree with the peeps above. After playing games like Dead Rising 2 and indeed Bioshock and Dead Space, forcing me to save at a specific point lets me become aware of what I have to do and I therefore plan how to do it. It makes it that little bit more immersive and makes me use the time wisely; especially in DR2 as you're constantly trying to work against the clock and to the best of your ability. It's a whole different level of playing, I feel

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#6 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

i personally can't stand auto save, especially games with which its your only means of saving, i will never understand why all games can't just have a save when ever feature, games like Bioshock, Deus Ex, Skyrim, and even the old Tomb Raider games are perfect examples of this, THAT is how saving should be done imo.

It's just about disaster recovery for me. Power cuts during auto-save onto the one slot, and you're done. The 'convenience' then wipes out your game.

It's happened to me twice in one weekend: once a freak storm that went from sunny to dark as night in the afternoon to losing power within three minutes, the next day a car hit a pole during my save. Both were after two hour long item dungeons in PS2's Disgaea where you're not allowed to save. Luckily, I was flipping between saves, so I 'only' lost those 2 hours each time instead of 75 hours of progress. You should always be able to choose save slots.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

@jekyll said:

@shangtsung7 said:

It's just about disaster recovery for me. Power cuts during auto-save onto the one slot, and you're done. The 'convenience' then wipes out your game.

It's happened to me twice in one weekend: once a freak storm that went from sunny to dark as night in the afternoon to losing power within three minutes, the next day a car hit a pole during my save. Both were after two hour long item dungeons in PS2's Disgaea where you're not allowed to save. Luckily, I was flipping between saves, so I 'only' lost those 2 hours each time instead of 75 hours of progress. You should always be able to choose save slots.

its especially annoying if you live in a house that has a weak power breaker "as i do" where having too many things on at one time can blow the breaker at any minute, that is rage inducing lemme tell ya.. lol i've had this happen hundreds of times while playing my 360 when somebody in another room cuts on a heater or something while my air conditioner is going, bam! everything in my room goes out including my game console, luckily it hasn't happened during a save.. yet.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

@jekyll said:

@shangtsung7 said:

its especially annoying if you live in a house that has a weak power breaker "as i do" where having too many things on at one time can blow the breaker at any minute, that is rage inducing lemme tell ya.. lol i've had this happen hundreds of times while playing my 360 when somebody in another room cuts on a heater or something while my air conditioner is going, bam! everything in my room goes out including my game console, luckily it hasn't happened during a save.. yet.

Boy I can relate to that.

My house is pretty old, and apparently the wiring was done by high functioning chimpanzees or something. The main room is on it's own breaker, as is the kitchen. But then the far bedrooms are on the same breaker as the bathroom and the master bedroom. Seriously, if you dry your hair while someone is watching television the whole thing goes pear shaped. Then it's out to the garage to try and flip a switch in the dark.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

While I agree with you, there should be a combination of both, so you don't accidentally save instead of load while falling off a cliff or burning or something like that, not that I ever accidently saved, but I saw my cousin do it while playing Tomb Raider II.

On to the question about Dead Rising 2, I feel that it is the way the game is meant to be played as it is a survival game (with a sense of humor of course).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I would save as many times possible.

Grenadeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Grenadeh
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts

I both hate and appreciate auto-saves. But this is exactly why I own two copies of DR2 and have yet to ever beat it, because of the saving. Right now I'm very much not a fan of auto-saving and forced checkpoints because they screwed me out of the same trophy in Infinite twice this weekend on two different systems. As much as I love the game, am kind of sick of having to replay the entire game for 1 achievement.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I stopped playing Dead Rising 2 when i saw it had a timer...

Grenadeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 6

#13 Grenadeh
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts

@CyberLips: That's pretty much the same reason I've never finished Dead Rising 1, 2, or 3, or Lightning Returns. I don't take kindly to having to keep a schedule....in a video game. I have enough of that bollocks in real life.