Dead or Alive is good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I first played DoA on Dreamcast and remember that I was drawn in initially by the T&A. I was in high school and that's a driving point for many guys at that stage. Once I got into it though, the underlying fighting mechanics made for a fun to play game with pretty cool fighting moves. It was also one of the only fighting games I had played with a counter move option.

Fast forward to the latest game Dead or Alive 5. Due to Xbox exclusivity for years, this was the first I got to play in a long time. I remembered having fun on Dreamcast and yesterday bought DoA 5 plus on my Vita. The game still has the fun gameplay regardless that Tecmo has gone overboard with the T&A for the female characters via DLC outfits.

It makes me wonder what other games have a certain stigma associated with them making many ignore the series as a joke when the game is actually good.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Theres another game called Girl Fight, it sucks donkey balls though !

Dead or Alive 5 is absolutely Fantastic but if you wana try something simular then go for Virtua Fighter 5 Showdown, it doesn't have a counter move option but its got the best mobility of all the 3D Fighting Games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Thanks for the suggestion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

DOA is one of the best 3D fighting franchises, right up there with Tekken and Virtua Fighter. Many assume it's just all about the boobs, but that has hardly anything to do with the gameplay. The gameplay is a lot of fun, and it has arguably the best counter-attack system in the genre. And it's not just for boys either, but I know girls who enjoyed it too, regardless of the boobs.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu

BOOOOOOOOOOBS ! Boobs everywhere ! :p

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

DOA is good but the community is small and non existent compared to others due to it being on Xbox for so long. Recently, DOA series experienced a surge in population due to new elements such as the reduction in counter times. The reason DOA was never taken seriously is b/c DOA has always been a button masher rock-paper-scissors game aka guessing which takes no skill at all.

Pretty much it comes down to whether you want to devote your time to a game that "no one" plays or play a game that has more prestige like SF4, BB, or Tekken. DOA had the chance to be on the same level as those games, but people who play competitive games are more serious than the casual gamer. Temco NEVER took the DOA series seriously based on how they treated their characters nor did the 2D fighting community b/c of its simplicity. Moreover, it was incredibly stupid to put a superb fighting game that had promise on a fps console. As a result its growth was curbed (rock-paper-scissors) due to lack of competition and it is evident when you compare DOA2-4. All things considered, the game has not changed since DOA2. Itagaki leaving was actually good for the series since DOA might actually grow now as seen with DOA5.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu

@Notorious1234NA

Uhm, its only guessing the 1st few times.... If you've played Rock Paper scissors atleast 3 times then you'l notice a pattern and thats what you are counteracting.

Thats what makes Dead or Alive so awesome. In Tekken and perhaps Virtua Fighter, the controls can be so complex that they drain 99 percent of your focus on executing fighting moves, leaving you nothing left to focus on the person you are fighting with. The controls will eventually become second nature as they did for me but thats when you realise these so called more challenging games have little to no depth, yeah its definately complicated but theres very little interplay, I often found that playing any other fighting games besides DoA is basicly a game of chicken, too much of that fight hinges on the 1st successful attack, because once you do that then you pretty much got them on the ropes, theres usually no game mechanic that allows you to break free out of such an assault, hence why Dead or Alive is the better game, I don't even think Tecmo realised what they did when they 1st came up with this concept, infact I don't think they realise its significance now. i just hope they keep doing it.

Rock Paper Scissors + BOOBS > Any Fighting Game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

BOOOOOOOOOOBS ! Boobs everywhere ! :p

I loveeee boobs best feature ever.

macchiatoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 macchiatoman
Member since 2014 • 37 Posts

Thanks for sharing will try the game too on the weekends. Right now i am back playing on Rohan since they opened a new server name Isen. heard a lot of good feedback.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By Hizang
Member since 2009 • 2808 Posts

The newest Dead Or Alive game is dumb , but in a good way.