DARK SOULS: The saga continues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

I need help getting past Blight town!

#2 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
what exactly are you stuck on?
#3 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

Where are at, exactly? In the swamp below, or still working your way down there?

#4 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Lol. The league of Dark Souls veterans emerges again. What's holding you up?

#5 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

I'm not sure where to go. There's poisonous gas everywhere and annoying enemies shooting poison at me. Should I just load up on the anti poison inventory items and go down there? I'm past the dragons that spit electricity at you, then I kill those 3 big guys with clubs, then I take the ladders down to the poisonous depths 

#6 Posted by IC3_C0LD_ZERO (297 posts) -

I'm not sure where to go. There's poisonous gas everywhere and annoying enemies shooting poison at me. Should I just load up on the anti poison inventory items and go down there? I'm past the dragons that spit electricity at you, then I kill those 3 big guys with clubs, then I take the ladders down to the poisonous depths 

meatgrinderz
So you're in the Swamp and on your way to fight the boss?
#7 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

[QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]

IC3_C0LD_ZERO

I believe so yes. But when I get down to the swamp area, I'm not sure which direction to go.

#8 Posted by Chutebox (36624 posts) -

meatgrinderz
Which way did you go after killing the big guys? Are you near the huge trees or opposite way?
#9 Posted by Chutebox (36624 posts) -

[QUOTE="IC3_C0LD_ZERO"][QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]

meatgrinderz

I believe so yes. But when I get down to the swamp area, I'm not sure which direction to go.

Take a right at the swamp and you'll see an inclined area in the distance. Go there.
#10 Posted by Byshop (11155 posts) -

[QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]

[QUOTE="IC3_C0LD_ZERO"] So you're in the Swamp and on your way to fight the boss?Chutebox

Take a right at the swamp and you'll see an inclined area in the distance. Go there.

Yeah, going from The Depths through Blighttown the opposite way is a pain, but the boss battle is pretty close to the opposite entrance to Blighttown so you can skip most of it.

-Byshop

#11 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Having anti-poison items is a must in Blighttown. Be aware that there's two kinds of affliction. Normal Poison drains your health at a slower pace than the other- Toxin, which can off you pretty quickly if you're not prepared. You'll want to be carrying lots of Purple Moss Clumps and Blooming Purple Moss Clumps. Both items can be obtained as drops from those living leaf creatures in Darkroot Garden, or purchased from the female Undead Merchant in the drainage tunnel that connects Firelink and the Undead Burg.

As far as where to go, your goal in Blighttown once you hit the poison bog is to head towards a mound with a hole in the center. It sounds like you're entering the area from the Valley of Drakes, so if I recall correctly, your trip downwards should involve a wooden elevator. The mound is located to the right, looking away from the elevator, past poison bog and guraded by 2 or 3 club demons. 

#12 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

Thanks guys. I was going left for some reason, I found some good loot but was lost on where to go from there. I'm going to do some killing so I can load up on mosses and head back down there. 

#13 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

by the way how far into the game am I? (I don't want it to end soon) I've explored a good chunk (haven't done the part with the ghosts yet)

#14 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

I'd say you're anywhere between 30-35% complete. There is still a lot of game ahead of you.

#15 Posted by Chutebox (36624 posts) -

by the way how far into the game am I? (I don't want it to end soon) I've explored a good chunk (haven't done the part with the ghosts yet)

meatgrinderz
You won't be ending any time soon, enjoy bud.
#16 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

:shock: wow and I've already put in 70 hours. alright gonna play I'll BBL 

#17 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

For future reference, you can get a shield in The Valley of the Drakes that blocks any sort of poison damage -- can get it in The Depths as well, if you can get onto the rafters of the room with the giant rat -- the Spider Shield. Blocks the darts and the gunk that those damn mosquito things throw at you nicely. Not much help now, of course, but handy to know if you ever decide to make another character.

Oh, and if possible, check to see if you've got any shields with high fire resistance. The boss down there loves use fire based attacks.

#18 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.
#19 Posted by Byshop (11155 posts) -

just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.LoG-Sacrament

Don't you mean left wall?

-Byshop

#20 Posted by Chutebox (36624 posts) -

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.Byshop

-Byshop

If you enter the swamp from the little ramp, then it is to the right.
#21 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.Chutebox

-Byshop

If you enter the swamp from the little ramp, then it is to the right.

yeah, i was using the entrance from the upper planks you come in on as a reference (not the valley of the dragons/water wheel entrance).
#22 Posted by getyeryayasout (7177 posts) -
DS DLC available on PSN right now for $7.50, fyi.
#23 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

Queelag killed me and took all my souls and humanity. UGH! I didn't see a bonfire on the right, did I miss it? pretty sure there is one I hit on the left

#24 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

DS DLC available on PSN right now for $7.50, fyi.getyeryayasout

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

#25 Posted by IC3_C0LD_ZERO (297 posts) -

Queelag killed me and took all my souls and humanity. UGH! I didn't see a bonfire on the right, did I miss it? pretty sure there is one I hit on the left

meatgrinderz
You should have gone to the Bonfire first, also care to be in human form so a black Phantom NPC can attack you, after you kill her she can be summoned as a White Phantom to aid you in fighting Quelaag, she is useful because she can tank Quelaag and you can get a lot of free hits on her. If you are stil facing problems just summon some other White Phantoms to help you, Queelag for me was the hardest boss in the game
#26 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

You should have gone to the Bonfire first, also care to be in human form so a black Phantom NPC can attack you, after you kill her she can be summoned as a White Phantom to aid you in fighting Quelaag, she is useful because she can tank Quelaag and you can get a lot of free hits on her. If you are stil facing problems just summon some other White Phantoms to help you, Queelag for me was the hardest boss in the gameIC3_C0LD_ZERO

Maneater Mildred is useless. The AI on her tends to glitch almost all the time, causing her to get stuck in the entrance to the boss room. Look for other players if you want to summon.

Quelaag isn't too hard a boss once you get her pattern down. Key to move in for a couple strikes every time that spider-part of her spits lava. The animation lasts long enough to dash in and get a few strikes in without worry. Restrain yourself from sticking around too long, though. She'll use this explosion-esque attack that does massive damage if you do. If she runs in to try using her sword, get close and keep moving left. Her sword swings won't hit you that way. If you've got any shields with good fire defense (at least 70%), be sure to equip it.

#27 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.LoG-Sacrament

Huh? Why exactly? When I played it I just had a player message there on the ground saying "Warning: Giant" but when I went to get it, nothing. I got there, opened it, looted it and went back to the bonfire.

Did I miss something about it there? o_O

#28 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.Justforvisit

Huh? Why exactly? When I played it I just had a player message there on the ground saying "Warning: Giant" but when I went to get it, nothing. I got there, opened it, looted it and went back to the bonfire.

the area suddenly changes from swamp to this dungeon-like setting. it opens up into a circular chamber that screams "fight." right in plain sight in the back lays a treasure chest like bait. it just seemed too simple.

my first time, i inched my way forward with my shield raised and hacked at it a bit before finally opening the chest :P it's just not something that normally happens in the souls games. on the occasion that something is easy to spot and get to, it's typically salvaged from a corpse rather than gift wrapped in a treasure chest.

#29 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]just in case: make things easier on yourself and hit the bonfire checkpoint in the swamp. if you hug the right wall as soon as you enter the swamp, it will take you there. for amusement, there's the most unsettling chest ever right behind the bonfire.LoG-Sacrament

the area suddenly changes from swamp to this dungeon-like setting. it opens up into a circular chamber that screams "fight." right in plain sight in the back lays a treasure chest like bait. it just seemed too simple.

my first time, i inched my way forward with my shield raised and hacked at it a bit before finally opening the chest :P it's just not something that normally happens in the souls games. on the occasion that something is easy to spot and get to, it's typically salvaged from a corpse rather than gift wrapped in a treasure chest.

#30 Posted by Jerell_rast (7093 posts) -
"Call the bannermen. This young Soul needs guidance!"

[QUOTE="getyeryayasout"]DS DLC available on PSN right now for $7.50, fyi.IndianaPwns39

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Nice! I'll look into it.
#31 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

Hey yall I haven't had a chance to game much but finally got around to killing Queelag. I tried killing her on my own but finally said EFF it, got some humanity and summoned another player to help me kill her. Made it pretty easy.

#32 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

Ive rung the second bell, then got up to an area where a crow picked me up and took me back to where the game began. theres a floor that falls through and I have to fight Stray Demon. how the heck do i kill him, hes very strong and powerful

#33 Posted by Minishdriveby (9739 posts) -

Ive rung the second bell, then got up to an area where a crow picked me up and took me back to where the game began. theres a floor that falls through and I have to fight Stray Demon. how the heck do i kill him, hes very strong and powerful

meatgrinderz
Roll around a lot and try to stay behind him and attack him from behind.
#34 Posted by puddinghead101 (153 posts) -

The Stray demon I always found difficult. You have to stay behind him and maybe equip a high magic resistant shield to combat his magic blast attacks. He is also susceptible to bleeding effect so maybe try using a weapon which causes bleeding. A good early one is a upgraded bandit knife but maybe you have something better. 

#35 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

yea I finally figured out staying behind him helps and when he shoots that air you have to be aways behind him not right behind him. is he shooting fire or magic? i read somewhere online it was fire so i equipped a shield with fairly high fire damage, but even blocking if im not in the right position it still knocks a good chunk of health off 

#36 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

yea I finally figured out staying behind him helps and when he shoots that air you have to be aways behind him not right behind him. is he shooting fire or magic? i read somewhere online it was fire so i equipped a shield with fairly high fire damage, but even blocking if im not in the right position it still knocks a good chunk of health off meatgrinderz

It's fire. A good fire resistent shield -- the Dragon Crest, Heater, and Tower Kite shield, for instance -- will protect you from it. It won't stop damage altogether (no shield has 100% fire damage reduction), but it will lower it considerably.

#37 Posted by Minishdriveby (9739 posts) -

[QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]yea I finally figured out staying behind him helps and when he shoots that air you have to be aways behind him not right behind him. is he shooting fire or magic? i read somewhere online it was fire so i equipped a shield with fairly high fire damage, but even blocking if im not in the right position it still knocks a good chunk of health off c_rake

It's fire. A good fire resistent shield -- the Dragon Crest, Heater, and Tower Kite shield, for instance -- will protect you from it. It won't stop damage altogether (no shield has 100% fire damage reduction), but it will lower it considerably.

Another tip would be to watch how he moves before the giant fire attack do a couple back rolls to get far enough away to be out of reach and then right after charge and smash him. The fight is easier if you don't bother with a shield and just dual wield a weapon while dodging.

#38 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
also, that's an optional boss so it's not a big deal if you come back for him later. he'll probably do a lot of damage no matter what you defend yourself with, but a good weapon can take the pressure off so you don't have to sustain yourself so long.
#39 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

Another tip would be to watch how he moves before the giant fire attack do a couple back rolls to get far enough away to be out of reach and then right after charge and smash him. The fight is easier if you don't bother with a shield and just dual wield a weapon while dodging.Minishdriveby

True. Still helps to keep one on hand just in case, though.

#40 Posted by meatgrinderz (1327 posts) -

thanks everyone i beat him. the two handed weapon strategy worked quite good as well as being patient and not trying to get in that 1 tempting extra hit

#41 Posted by Minishdriveby (9739 posts) -

thanks everyone i beat him. the two handed weapon strategy worked quite good as well as being patient and not trying to get in that 1 tempting extra hit

meatgrinderz
Yeah! That was the key to that fight. Hit him about three times and then roll the hell away! Good job my friend. The two handed strategy works fairly well for most bosses this far into the game.