Dark Souls - do I even have a chance against Kalameet?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

I've already tried around 10-12 times (maybe more, maybe less) and he seems to kick my ass every goddamn time! Is he impossible to beat with a strength build (further proving my theory that this game favors dexterous sorcerers) or supposed to be beaten in co-op? He's too fast, drains 80% of my stamina with every hit and about two thirds my health when I'm not quick enough to block. And that's physical attacks. His breath pretty much one-shots me, no matter what I do - the AOE one from above spreads through a laughably large area. Do I have a change against him with this build? Should I modify something? Or should I simply **** it and proceed to the Chasm of The Abyss?

Here's my toon:

SL 85

Vit 30

Att 16

End 34

Str 36

Dex 18

Res/Int/Fai 11

Equipment:

- Black Knight Greatsword +5 (I also have a Black Knight Sword +5, which is noticeably faster, but its damage output is pretty much shit at this point)

- Pyromancy Flame +15 with Great Chaos Fireball, Great Fireball, and Fire Tempest attuned to it

- Silver Knight Shield +3 for physical protection and Crest Shield +5 for magical protection

- Giants Armor + 3

- Guardian Gauntlets

- Giant Leggings (used alternately with Waistcloth of the Channelers when I need equipment load for something else)

- Mask of the Child for dat stamina recovery

- Havel's Ring

- Wolf Ring

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#2 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Switch the Giant's/Guardian armor with something lighter until you can fast roll (under or equal 25% equipment burden)
Use the Dragon Crest Shield instead of to periodically block his flame.
Replace the Wolf Ring with any of the following: Flame Stoneplate Ring for the obvious, Dark Wood Grain Ring for better rolling or Cloranthy Ring for more stamina regen

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xxninja666xx

@SovietsUnited said:

Use the Dragon Crest Shield instead of to periodically block his flame.

Replace the Wolf Ring with any of the following: Flame Stoneplate Ring for the obvious, Dark Wood Grain Ring for better rolling or Cloranthy Ring for more stamina regen

I'm gonna blow your mind now - Kalameet's breath isn't fire, but dark magic damage. When blocked with Crest Shield, it deals little to no damage (eats up all my stamina though) and it can be deflected completely with the Silver Pendant (I'm just not fast enough to switch it on in time; managed it once and can confirm that it works). Is there any gear in the game that protects against ridiculous amounts of magic damage?

@SovietsUnited said:

Switch the Giant's/Guardian armor with something lighter until you can fast roll (under or equal 25% equipment burden)

Anything you recommend that won't get me one-shotted when I happen to get hit?

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#4  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Try something like this build
btw practice using he silver pendant, remove all items from the slots except Estus and Silver Pendant; if you're really having big stamina regen problems you can additionally use Green Blossom which can be bought from Marvelous Chester for 500 souls each.

Also, when he start doing that telekinesis attack, don't look at him, turn your back and you will dodge the attack (if he successfully completes the attack it makes you temporarily weaker if I recall correctly)

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xxninja666xx

@SovietsUnited: Looks interesting. I'm gonna try it out and see if I can manage.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Here's what you do. Get used to his attack pattern, and run away from the flames. Don't block it. Just run. Obviously don't be a fatty. When he's about to do his psyche attack, run in between his legs. You need to this as early as possible so he won't catch you. It took me about 20+ tries the first time i encountered him (which was in NG+7 or something).

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xxninja666xx

@SexyJazzCat said:
Get used to his attack pattern

Does he even have a pattern? The only pattern I notice is one of total randomness. Once he managed to spam the right-to-left breath 6 times in a row.

@SexyJazzCat said:

run away from the flames. Don't block it. Just run.

To be honest, running away from the flames was always the thing that got me killed. The AoE aerial attack covers an incredibly large area and the linear ones seem to have longer range when I run away from them instead of dodging to the back, while being locked onto and facing Kalameet.

@SexyJazzCat said:

When he's about to do his psyche attack, run in between his legs. You need to this as early as possible so he won't catch you.

Didn't know you could do that. Hitboxes in this game still amaze me (not necessarily in a positive manner).

@SexyJazzCat said:

Obviously don't be a fatty.

Don't tell me how to live my life!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Hope this helps. To be honest I was never able to beat him. So I cheated. Also I wanted to cut the tail off to get the awesome dragon sword.

Loading Video...

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Im sorry i meant his attack animations. You need to BOLT as soon as his AoE flame breath animation starts. When he does his linear flame breath you just run away to the side. Oh, and when i said run in between his legs, i meant run towards him and then roll.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Strategic Flaw/Failure....