cutscenes btw games gettin shorter......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aubhik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aubhik
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

is it me or r cutscenes nowadays gettin shorter.......i mean earlier we used to hav tons of in game movies, cutscenes,etc.

which made the storyline more interesting!!

leilamayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 leilamayhem
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

I welcome this trend. I hate long cut scenes. I want to PLAY the game not watch it. Films are much more interesting to watch than games.

I like the way Bioshock layed out the story, so you're listening as you go and putting the pieces together.

mayormoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 mayormoose
Member since 2007 • 836 Posts
Most cutscenes are now set up where you can move your camera and player to give the game a more authentic feel.
walrusgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 walrusgod
Member since 2007 • 337 Posts
Yeah, I like longer cutscenes only if they allow pausing and have some sort of interactivity (ie camera moving), one of the reasons that I love Assassin's Creed (although I dislike the lack of subtitles in the game).
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
i found the idea of moving a camera while watching a cutscene , somehwat pointless. in assassin's creed your given some pointless movment over actual good direction. whats the point?
TheGamerUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheGamerUser
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts
The cutscenes kinda took the immersion out of FPS's, just like mayormoose said.
walrusgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 walrusgod

i found the idea of moving a camera while watching a cutscene , somehwat pointless. in assassin's creed your given some pointless movment over actual good direction. whats the point? feel_freetwo

It gives me something to do while I'm listening and still holding the controller...plus I just aesthetically like the look of some of the camera angles you can move to...I also like having altair not face who he's talking to. Not really sure why, but I just think it looks cooler.

musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
I like cutscenes in Half Life where you can interact the whole time. More games should be like that.
TheGamerUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheGamerUser
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts
IMO, it would work best w/ silent protagonists, cause it be kinda strage jumping around left and right while holding a conversation.
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
Halo's cutscenes are great. They're not in first person, they're like movie clips.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts

[QUOTE="feel_freetwo"]i found the idea of moving a camera while watching a cutscene , somehwat pointless. in assassin's creed your given some pointless movment over actual good direction. whats the point? walrusgod

It gives me something to do while I'm listening and still holding the controller...plus I just aesthetically like the look of some of the camera angles you can move to...I also like having altair not face who he's talking to. Not really sure why, but I just think it looks cooler.

i like "dude wheres my car" i know its a bad movie. what you said is similar. you may like doing that, but that doesnt excuse the fact that its stupid.
aubhik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 aubhik
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

well then wat abt those in-game cinematics which we had in games like starcraft and diablo......those were a real treat to watch.You don't see much of those in strategy games nowadays.I mean i played supcom FA recently...altough the missions were intense there were barely two cinematics in the whole game nd that too for abt a minute or so...

walrusgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 walrusgod
[QUOTE="walrusgod"]

[QUOTE="feel_freetwo"]i found the idea of moving a camera while watching a cutscene , somehwat pointless. in assassin's creed your given some pointless movment over actual good direction. whats the point? feel_freetwo

i like "dude wheres my car" i know its a bad movie. what you said is similar. you may like doing that, but that doesnt excuse the fact that its stupid.

I agree somewhat. While I think that "Dude, Where's My Car?" is a bit more stupid than cutscene moving, I see your point. But at the same time, if something is able to help keep my interest for longer, then is the fact that it is trivial really that bad? If people don't like it, they can choose not to interact with the cutscene, it just gives another option for those who don't like just sitting and watching a long cutscene.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Cutscenes are not what most players want.

My favorite part about the cutscenes is...praising them and asking for longer and more cutscenes in front of other players in MMOs. It usually get wild reactions.

Maybe cutscenes could happen while the game is loading. I mean, they are not heavy on requirements and can be stored on the computer. So seeing a cutscene followed by 10 seconds of loading please wait instead of seeing 40 seconds of loading please wait...it brings a few designs issues. At any rate, not a top priority in any game IMO. But it always make me laugh to LOAD and then be stuck on a cutscene, yet the loading is finished...ROFL.

ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#15 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts

I welcome this trend. I hate long cut scenes. I want to PLAY the game not watch it. Films are much more interesting to watch than games.

leilamayhem
Agreed.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#16 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

IMO, it would work best w/ silent protagonists, cause it be kinda strage jumping around left and right while holding a conversation.TheGamerUser

my girlfriend would laugh during the Assassin's Creed scenes where i'm talking yet making my guy spaz out by pushing the analog stick in all sorts of directions.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#17 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGamerUser"]IMO, it would work best w/ silent protagonists, cause it be kinda strage jumping around left and right while holding a conversation.smerlus

my girlfriend would laugh during the Assassin's Creed scenes where i'm talking yet making my guy spaz out by pushing the analog stick in all sorts of directions.

It's a shame though... the story was good. Shame thing that it was directed that way...

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#18 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I like cutscenes, as long as you can skip them (click, esc, start button) if you've already sat through them once.
walrusgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 walrusgod

I like cutscenes, as long as you can skip them (click, esc, start button) if you've already sat through them once.Gammit10

That's what killed trying to replay FF X for me...long cutscenes that you couldn't skip. Luckily, a lot of games are allowing you to skip them these days.

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
For me, cutscenes are part of a game... You either love or hate it! I really like cutscenes which give you a cinematic feel and that's one reason I didn't like Bioshock. I mean, when I finish a part of the game (Let's say... I've killed a boss) so right after that, I want an epic cutscence! Not immediately continue the game.
Deflight289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deflight289
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts

[QUOTE="Gammit10"]I like cutscenes, as long as you can skip them (click, esc, start button) if you've already sat through them once.walrusgod

That's what killed trying to replay FF X for me...long cutscenes that you couldn't skip. Luckily, a lot of games are allowing you to skip them these days.

I got heaps of games where you can't skip cutscenes! I think plenty of games these days don't let you skip cutscenes!