Crysis 2 Multiplayer Shutting Down on May 31, 2014.

#1 Edited by iammai (9578 posts) -
#2 Edited by geniobastardo (1295 posts) -

NOOOOOOO!

#3 Posted by marcheegsr (2464 posts) -

I had great times with this game. This seems to be the trend. First Gran turismo 5, Mag, the resistance games, now this. All the games I enjoyed playing online lol.

#4 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4079 posts) -

Makes you want to return to a time when MP couldn't be 'shut down'. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - that game came out in 2002 and still has people playing it.

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18199 posts) -

So, doing the math: Crysis 2 (2011) goes offline in 2014. Meaning it's reasonable to conclude that Titanfall (2014) will be a beer coaster in 2017.

EA policy.

#6 Posted by geniobastardo (1295 posts) -

So, doing the math: Crysis 2 (2011) goes offline in 2014. Meaning it's reasonable to conclude that Titanfall (2014) will be a beer coaster in 2017.

EA policy.

make that a bit sooner for Titanfall.

#7 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18199 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

EA policy.

Yeah, the community might probably move on to newer games earlier than that, but my point is that in 3 years the game will only be good for target practice with a BB gun. Doesn't that suck?

#8 Posted by geniobastardo (1295 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

EA policy.

Yeah, the community might probably move on to newer games earlier than that, but my point is that in 3 years the game will only be good for target practice with a BB gun. Doesn't that suck?

tell that to EA. They only want the M!

#9 Posted by SoNin360 (5279 posts) -

EA policy.

Except Crisis 2 never had nearly the popularity of Titanfall. EA only shuts down servers that make for the smallest portion of people playing them.

It's still crap that games with MP modes aren't lasting more than a few years now, though. Hopefully this will encourage some to focus more on the SP portions...

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (15266 posts) -

I really enjoyed playing this. Anyway my time has come and gone with the game and with other games that keep coming out that I want to play I simply don't have the time to go back and play again. News like this doesn't really bother me too much.

#11 Posted by Behardy24 (2682 posts) -

It was going to happen sooner or sooner. Just glad it broke out on news so people can play the game one last time.

#12 Posted by iammai (9578 posts) -

There were a few indicators that end is coming, number of online players and frequent multiplayer offline status as examples.

#13 Posted by Beagle050 (715 posts) -

@iammai: EA is going to do this with Sim City too - probably to force people into buying the next one. Main reason I didn't get it.

#14 Edited by iammai (9578 posts) -

@Beagle050:

I can't find anything that suits EA more than being greedy as always...

:)

#15 Posted by firefox59 (4343 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

EA policy.

Except Crisis 2 never had nearly the popularity of Titanfall. EA only shuts down servers that make for the smallest portion of people playing them.

It's still crap that games with MP modes aren't lasting more than a few years now, though. Hopefully this will encourage some to focus more on the SP portions...

It's funny that anyone is acting like this is a big deal. It was nearly impossible to find a game say for a peak hour on the weekends a year ago. I can't imagine how dead it is now. Besides Crysis 3 came out awhile ago and Crysis 2 never had the community that 3 does.

#16 Posted by SoNin360 (5279 posts) -

@firefox59: Really? There was barely over 100 people playing Crysis 3 online when I rented the game months ago, at least on the PS3. So I can't see how it was actually more popular than Crysis 2 at any point, then again I'm only looking at console numbers.

#18 Posted by firefox59 (4343 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

@firefox59: Really? There was barely over 100 people playing Crysis 3 online when I rented the game months ago, at least on the PS3. So I can't see how it was actually more popular than Crysis 2 at any point, then again I'm only looking at console numbers.

On the 360 a couple months ago you could easily find a full match from say 5-10 pm on the weekends and maybe 6-9 pm on weekdays. I did get Crysis 2 kinda late, but from what I heard it was always dead a month after the game came out.

#19 Posted by KHAndAnime (13298 posts) -

Makes you want to return to a time when MP couldn't be 'shut down'. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - that game came out in 2002 and still has people playing it.

Allied Assault will likely be shut down too for the same reason Crysis 2 is shutting down...

#20 Posted by iammai (9578 posts) -

First, thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

This is just to confirm that Crysis 2 multiplyaer has been shut down. Fourtunately, the game is still playable on other servers.

For more information please take a look at http://forum.tvare.sk/index.php

Regards,

#21 Posted by dakan45 (18405 posts) -

In realated news pc gamers made a unnoficial patch that allows you to play crysis 1 despite the loss of gamespy.
Also people still play doom quake and unreal tournament online, got love open platforms like pc.

#22 Edited by Notorious1234NA (197 posts) -

hence why you don't play shooters with such a low population.

By FPS standards games wasn't even popular just looked good.