Could this be Nintendo's worst year ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

This is probably Nintendo's worst year. CEO died, historically bad E3, poor wii u first quarter sales, virtually no good AAA games coming out for the wii U this year (1st or 3rd party) .

Poor Nintendo :(

Thoughts?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

RIP Mr.Mario you were a gem.

So i might not like the WiiU or much of what Nintendo do, but i think some fresh blood will actually do them good and next year we will see a stronger more uptodate console and the WiiU can finally be sent out on its final journey to the scrap yard.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

The financial losses aren't terrible. This E3 was far from the worst. There are good games still on the way.

Iwata's passing alone was enough to mark it as the worst year. Even if the Wii U were doing great and games were pouring in, this would still be the worst year. A Nintendo CEO died in office, and it was one of the most beloved and respected men in gaming.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@Jacanuk:

True.

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

Personally or business related?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

As a part of the report, Genjo Takeda and Shigeru Miyamoto will remain at the company as Representative Director/Senior Managing Director.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11654 Posts

It has been a very sad time for Nintendo, Iwata Satoru san was a great man.

Though regardless the 3DS is having a great year, 3DS has always been strong so I'm suprised this gets ignored.

And frankly WiiU has been on the up-swing. Splatoon has been very successful. I see Splatoon becoming a long running franchise.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk
@RSM-HQ said:

It has been a very sad time for Nintendo, Iwata Satoru san was a great man.

Though regardless the 3DS is having a great year, 3DS has always been strong so I'm suprised this gets ignored.

And frankly WiiU has been on the up-swing. Splatoon has been very successful. I see Splatoon becoming a long running franchise.

How many more consoles have Splatoon sold? if you have a link it would be awesome.

Because so far what i have seen is people who already have a WiiU buying it and no one else.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Jacanuk: Destructoid reported Splatoon sold one million worldwide in June. Sadly the article didn't detail if any of these are the Splatoon WiiU bundle. 50,000 of the units are from Japan that's all it really states.

I'd rather find a link more recent but can't get one. Sorry :<

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

They're profitable, so contrasted to a time where they were losing for three consecutive years in a row, I'd say they're on the up.

However, I'd argue this is undoubtedly an uncertain time for the company as a whole. A transitional time. They have a lot to deal with not only the loss and replacement of a top exec, but a dwindling audience with negative mind share to address, a third party question to finally put to rest, an overhauling of their studios, two new platforms to release, Amiibo, mobile development, and QoL.

There's a lot going on, and I'm not envious of whomever gets the job. I don't think Iwata's departure could've happened at a worse time because Nintendo is not in a period of stability and many of these initiatives have yet to see the light of day, much less have been proven. I would not be surprised if some were placed on the chopping block or put on hold. When Jobs returned to Apple and recovered the company when it was merely months from declaring bankruptcy, he axed a ton of products that were planned. Of course, financially Nintendo's in no such similar position, so I doubt it, but it could happen.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

In many ways it's a sad, bad and difficult year but all-around worst? 3DS is still doing okay, the Wii U's library to this day is quite satisfying, there's things like Zelda U or, even bigger, the NX on the way which are hyping people... I do hope they have some great years to come though, their recent years have made me sad :(

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jacanuk

@RSM-HQ said:

@Jacanuk: Destructoid reported Splatoon sold one million worldwide in June. Sadly the article didn't detail if any of these are the Splatoon WiiU bundle. 50,000 of the units are from Japan that's all it really states.

I'd rather find a link more recent but can't get one. Sorry :<

Ok, thanks

A bit surprising if they managed to sell consoles on that game, even tho its a decent enough game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RSM-HQ

@Jacanuk: I grabbed Splatoon on a whim and think it's alright. For sales it would have done better on handheld in honesty, lack of voice-chat is fine on the go. On a modern console? Less so. .

Though as a first entry in a franchise has impressed me. Would love to see a NX & 3DS successor :)