Contemplating purchasing a Vita?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Well if anybody could help me with some info that I'm trying to obtain in reference to the PSVita? I was going to purchase the Vita but I was hearing things about a newer design with a larger screen. Is this true and is it going to be thinner and is it getting a performance boost? Thank you in advance!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The screen of the newer Vita is the same size but not as good (due to the shift from OLED to LCD), but the unit is slimmer and lighter and it boasts a battery that lasts an hour longer.

*Sigh* I can no long post pictures here at Glitchspot, but there are comparison pictures and very detailed impressions at the first link below as well as a link to a general Vita thread with info and impressions you might find useful.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/10/10/a-day-with-the-new-playstation-vita-slim-unboxing-hands-on-and-screen-comparison/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/ps-vita-thread-2-0-twice-as-bright-just-as-long-30847245/

Just as how newer models of PlayStation 3 lost a few of the originals bells and whistles yet managed to excel in so many other areas, the PlayStation Vita Slim is a definite winner. The console sits snugly in the hands, is noticeably lighter, and its battery lasts up to an hour longer than its predecessor: three things that any mobile gamer should yearn for. The screen may not be quite the sparkling gem that it once was, but visuals remain as crisp and clear as ever, and add to this the fact that the console now comes with a gigabyte of on-board storage and can be charged via a standard micro-USB cable, and you’ve got a superb little machine.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17807 Posts

there is a new model coming out (is out in japan i think) which is a bit thinner but the screen is the same size. the current model also has a better screen.

performance between the 2 devices is identical (i have seen a video thoguh where the newer model has longer loading times than the first model).

basically if you have decided to get a vita the one to get is the current model.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Vita that originally came out is the 1000 model, the new model is the 2000 model. What sony does with its systems and subsequent models line is just streamline systems and make them lighter, add more memory sometimes, smaller and so on.

The 2000 model will be 15% lighter, 20% thinner, have little over an hour of extra battery life, it will have 1gb of storage space built into the unit, it will lose the proprietary accessory connector in favor of a general use usb connector. The down side is it is losing the OLED screen and using a LCD screen and from everything I read of people who actually saw it in person said the difference wasn't that much really but some of the deep blacks weren't quite as black and the animated games colors didn't pop quite as much but overall it wasn't more than marginally different.

So no, there wont be a performance boost and no there wont be a bigger screen. Its simply a modified version that tried to appeal to more of what gamers wanted.

I love my vita and Im glad I have one with an OLED screen. Those other enhancements are cool but not enough to make me switch from an OLED screen.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

If you are going to get one get the old model.

The new model has a crap lcd screen with terrible,washed out colors.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

Well if anybody could help me with some info that I'm trying to obtain in reference to the PSVita? I was going to purchase the Vita but I was hearing things about a newer design with a larger screen. Is this true and is it going to be thinner and is it getting a performance boost? Thank you in advance!

I got the older one after the price drop, i am happy with it

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

I'd recommend the original model. The OLED screen is gorgeous!

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RimacBugatti

Ok thanks guys and gals! I have made my decision so as soon as the cash is available I will purchase a Vita. I do like the idea of the onboard memory storage but other than that the original seems like a much better product. I'm a little disappointed with the lack of title but I found some Japanese imports that I like especially a couple driving games. I'm not one for playing games on my cell phone or tablet so the Vita is a must buy.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

By the way get Playstation Plus. Vita games are really expensive, plus is a great value considering you get at least 1-2 AAA vita games a month, without counting indie games.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RimacBugatti

@CoquiNegro: Ok cool thanks! I also have a PS4 but I'm not sure how they work together.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

The best thing about the new one (that i think is only available in japan right now) is you arnt limited to using the sony only mem cards which are stupid expensive. The trade off though is the screen doesnt look quite as good...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@anab0lic said:

The best thing about the new one (that i think is only available in japan right now) is you arnt limited to using the sony only mem cards which are stupid expensive. The trade off though is the screen doesnt look quite as good...

nope...memory cards are the same.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti

@KBFloYd: I like the included onboard memory. Is the onboard memory enough for multiple game storages?

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

The new Vita's onboard memory should be enough for saves and smaller patches. But yeah, a large capacity memory card (32 -great- or 64 -even better-) will save you a lot of trouble. If you're fine with doing backup and restore often to switch out games, an 8 or 16 card should do.

Card space shouldn't be much a problem if you plan on buying physical copies. Then again, there are digital-only games (and if you get a PS+ subscription), so you might want some extra space, just in case.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 5

#15 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

I own the first PS Vita model and it works great; besides the two models' differences in screen, memory, and weight I am sure the basic functions will be the same.

@RimacBugatti said:

@CoquiNegro: Ok cool thanks! I also have a PS4 but I'm not sure how they work together.

I just read a great article about how flawlessly PS4/PSV work together, unfortunately it is in Spanish :/

http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reportajes/todo-que-ps-vita-puede-hacer-por-ps4-61421

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

@VintAge68 said:

I own the first PS Vita model and it works great; besides the two models' differences in screen, memory, and weight I am sure the basic functions will be the same.

@RimacBugatti said:

I just read a great article about how flawlessly PS4/PSV work together, unfortunately it is in Spanish :/

http://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reportajes/todo-que-ps-vita-puede-hacer-por-ps4-61421

Spanish is my native language, so it's alright ;)

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@RimacBugatti:

@ShepardCommandr said:

If you are going to get one get the old model.

The new model has a crap lcd screen with terrible,washed out colors.

THIS!

The new Vita is pretty much an inferior model that is more portable/slimmer with a screen that lacks. But I'd really recommend the older version.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/12/11/ps-vita-video-review-2013

Watch IGN's video on it to help you with your decision. And read the comments, a lot of genius' speak within them.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RimacBugatti

@zjun: Ok cool I will just go with older model. It's really the same concept with the PS3. The super slim is cheap crap. And I haven't heard much about the 360 Elite but I'm guessing more cheaply made but I don't know for sure. Atleast it's affordable.

hellangel_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 hellangel_boy
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

I read that the 1GB internal memory of the newer PSV gets disabled anyway after you insert the memory card, so I think you will be better with the older version.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@RimacBugatti:

Exactly man! Good luck!

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RimacBugatti

@hellangel_boy: Ok cool! How is the audio on the older version?