Console gaming is way more expensive than PC...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slannmage (5483 posts) -

Lets take the Xbox One for example...

£430 - console
£20 - Recharge kit
£40 x 6 = 240 - Subscription cost for the likely life of the console to be able to have basic function and online play
£45 - Extra controller
£45 per game

So I'd say with the purchase of the Xbox One you will be spending a good £600, which I will say if you have an existing PC is the price you can turn your current PC into a high end rig. Use the case, dvd drive, maybe the ram, HDD and some other things. Really you could buy a Mobo, CPU and GPU and spend a good £600 on that. You wont need to buy anything else as you can cannibalize what you have, nothing is proprietary like needing a new keyboard and mouse to fit. I personally spent £100 on the mobo, £150 on the CPU and £200 on my GPU, that's basically the cost of an Xbox One. I just used my existing parts... if you need to buy new stuff then £150 can go a long way to getting a cheap case, ram, hdd...

Then you have the advantages of the PC, the mods, the Steam sales, the fact you can buy game CD Keys when they come out for £22 on brand new games. You can also wait a couple months and you know loads of these brand new games will be like 75% off on Steam. F2P is so rampant on the PC, you don't even need to spend a penny on the PC if you do not want to. You don't get that experience on the consoles, you must purchase everything at crazy high prices because it takes so long for console game prices to go down.

If a part on your PC breaks after the warranty, it is so cheap to fix it, if games aren't looking as great as they used to be like an ageing console, it is so cheap to make a single upgrade. I've had my old CPU/Mobo since 2006/7 it was a q6600 or something, a quad core and it lasted 7 years and it still didn't really have any issues, I just felt like it was time to upgrade. My last GPU was from 2009 and it was cheap, this GPU I got is cheap too, if you buy stuff over time and buy smartly, it ends up being very cheap. However once the Xbox One is out of warranty, if something goes wrong with it then it's a new console or a crazy price for a fix from Microsoft.

You have to think as well all the services you get for free on the PC, yet the Xbox One will not have most of them, the ones it does have are behind the Gold subscription! It's a total rip off that you need to pay to be able to use stuff that is free anywhere. The GameDVR is crap, you'll still need a capture card if you're serious about recording game footage, a good one of those will set you back hundreds, yet on PC all you need is Nvidia Shadowplay or whatever which is free software.

I can spend very little on the PC, games are cheap, I can upgrade for cheap and my games will look way better than on consoles and at a higher frame rate. My Library never dies, it is always there, where as on consoles once the console is dead, you have to use an ageing unreliable machine to play them and your games don't move on with it.

I bought 3 games and it come to £135.......... like no wonder why most consoler owners only buy a couple games a year. I've bought 10 times that for the same amount of money on the PC, I got Bioshock Infinite for £6.25..... I've paid nothing for DOTA 2 and played hundreds of hours...

Don't let consoles fool you, they're way more expensive than the PC and as we see already, these new consoles are still struggling to hit 1080P and struggle to use AA already.

#2 Posted by Jacanuk (3983 posts) -

£430 - console

£20 - Recharge kit

£40 x 6 = 240 - Subscription cost for the likely life of the console to be able to have basic function and online play

£45 - Extra controller

£45 per game

So I'd say with the purchase of the Xbox One you will be spending a good £600, which I will say if you have an existing PC is the price you can turn your current PC into a high end rig. Use the case, dvd drive, maybe the ram, HDD and some other things. Really you could buy a Mobo, CPU and GPU and spend a good £600 on that. You wont need to buy anything else as you can cannibalize what you have, nothing is proprietary like needing a new keyboard and mouse to fit. I personally spent £100 on the mobo, £150 on the CPU and £200 on my GPU, that's basically the cost of an Xbox One. I just used my existing parts... if you need to buy new stuff then £150 can go a long way to getting a cheap case, ram, hdd...

Then you have the advantages of the PC, the mods, the Steam sales, the fact you can buy game CD Keys when they come out for £22 on brand new games. You can also wait a couple months and you know loads of these brand new games will be like 75% off on Steam. F2P is so rampant on the PC, you don't even need to spend a penny on the PC if you do not want to. You don't get that experience on the consoles, you must purchase everything at crazy high prices because it takes so long for console game prices to go down.

If a part on your PC breaks after the warranty, it is so cheap to fix it, if games aren't looking as great as they used to be like an ageing console, it is so cheap to make a single upgrade. I've had my old CPU/Mobo since 2006/7 it was a q6600 or something, a quad core and it lasted 7 years and it still didn't really have any issues, I just felt like it was time to upgrade. My last GPU was from 2009 and it was cheap, this GPU I got is cheap too, if you buy stuff over time and buy smartly, it ends up being very cheap. However once the Xbox One is out of warranty, if something goes wrong with it then it's a new console or a crazy price for a fix from Microsoft.

You have to think as well all the services you get for free on the PC, yet the Xbox One will not have most of them, the ones it does have are behind the Gold subscription! It's a total rip off that you need to pay to be able to use stuff that is free anywhere. The GameDVR is crap, you'll still need a capture card if you're serious about recording game footage, a good one of those will set you back hundreds, yet on PC all you need is Nvidia Shadowplay or whatever which is free software.

I can spend very little on the PC, games are cheap, I can upgrade for cheap and my games will look way better than on consoles and at a higher frame rate. My Library never dies, it is always there, where as on consoles once the console is dead, you have to use an ageing unreliable machine to play them and your games don't move on with it.

I bought 3 games and it come to £135.......... like no wonder why most consoler owners only buy a couple games a year. I've bought 10 times that for the same amount of money on the PC, I got Bioshock Infinite for £6.25..... I've paid nothing for DOTA 2 and played hundreds of hours...

Don't let consoles fool you, they're way more expensive than the PC and as we see already, these new consoles are still struggling to hit 1080P and struggle to use AA already.

Hmm, wouldn´t this thread be better of in systemwars? because who cares.

#3 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

I have no interest in max settings for the games I play because it isn't important to me. I don't game on high-end PC because I prefer console franchises. My laptop is all the PC gaming I'll ever need, and I don't often play genres that are popular among PC gamers, like FPSs and MMOs.

I have so many games for my active systems (PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS, Vita, laptop, and soon a PS4) to play that I can honestly say I'll never have time or desire to build a clunky and complicated desktop PC.

I think it's great that high-end PC gaming fits in to what you like, but I see no reason to try to recruit and convert console gamers who have different tastes.

#4 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69869 posts) -

£430 - console

£20 - Recharge kit

£45 - Extra controller

£45 per game

You don't need the recharge kit, subscription or the extra controller, that is optional... If you don't want a console, then don't get it. PC's have always been more powerful mate.

#5 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

£430 - console

£20 - Recharge kit

£45 - Extra controller

£45 per game

Don't need a recharge kit. Especially if you have a playstation where you just plug in a usb to mini usb cable and charge it while you play. You can also say the same thing for wireless keyboard and mice on PC's. So that argument is pointless.

Subscription is optional. You NEVER need to subscribe to anything on a console for basic functions. Playstation again only uses it for some games and that is left up to the developer to put it behind a PS+ paywall. But you can still play free online games, you can play single player games and such for free......much like on the PC. So another argument that's wrong.

You don't need an extra controller. Even if you do buy an extra one its a one time cost that will last you a decade if you take care of it. On the PC if you do local co-op and such you need another controller as well, or hell a whole other PC set. So once again....another argument completely wrong.

Its so cheap to fix a hardware problem? By that theory if youre smart enough to fix a problem on a PC part you can do so on a console as well. There are thousands of how to videos on how to fix consoles and thousands of replacement parts on ebay.

Yes you can upgrade your pc to play the latest games. But my PS3 can still play every game on it whether its brand new, or 8 years old.

PC games are not cheaper. Console games have sales at dozens of stores at launch or they have gift card promos, console games drop in price quite drastically very quickly. You can also sell and trade your games which adds to their value. On like steam a game they sell for 60 dollars new can be found used for far less, and drops in price much faster at stores due to competition between stores. Of course you paid nothing for DOTA2 because its free, just like consoles have a lot of free games as well.

#6 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

All that is certainly true.

But none of those recommendations will get me the latest Halo or Dead Rising will it? Well, there's the rub.

Here's what I recommend: Decide which games you want to play, and get the system(s) that accommodates your tastes in software. Then you won't have time to worry about settings being maxed out or resolutions, you'll just be having a good time with games you enjoy. And allow others to do the same without telling them that their choice is foolish just because their tastes don't align to yours.

And a happy ending for all.

#7 Posted by jsmoke03 (12631 posts) -

how about you compare the ps4....

oh and pc could be more expensive or cheaper than consoles....but consoles are a lot more convenient and less of a headache

#8 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

but consoles are a lot more convenient and less of a headache

I don't understand how consoles are more convenient considering I can jump straight from this forum to Steam in another window and start playing a game 30 seconds after I finish this post.

#9 Edited by Archangel3371 (15280 posts) -

All that is certainly true.

But none of those recommendations will get me the latest Halo or Dead Rising will it? Well, there's the rub.

Here's what I recommend: Decide which games you want to play, and get the system(s) that accommodates your tastes in software. Then you won't have time to worry about settings being maxed out or resolutions, you'll just be having a good time with games you enjoy. And allow others to do the same without telling them that their choice is foolish just because their tastes don't align to yours.

And a happy ending for all.

This.

I already have 3 games for my Xbox One that I can't play on PC, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, and Dead Rising 3. Pretty good for a system that just came out if I do say so myself. I may end up with a couple more within the next month or so as well. There's plenty of games on each of the systems that I enjoy which is why I'm a multi-system owner.

#10 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

£430 - console

£20 - Recharge kit I have spare usb chargers laying around.

£40 x 6 = 240 - Subscription cost for the likely life of the console to be able to have basic function and online play Lol.

£45 - Extra controller Why? Do I need 2 controllers to be amongst the master race?

£45 per game

#11 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

Xbox One and PS4 will last a minimum of 5 years.

Your PC will last 1-2 years then it’s outdated.

Upgrading it will cost you money as well.

That’s also why I prefer console. There is no requirements for a certain game. The multi platform games are always more aimed towards Consoles. My PC has tons of games that I got for free but on consoles those games would cost 35-45$. I personally think that pirating or cracking games which is very frequent on PC, is not supporting the dev that made the game.

I play Consoles and that will be all.

If you like your High-End PC built for Ultra graphical gaming. That’s fine by me. I’m happy for you.

I won’t try to change your mind from thinking that consoles is better than PC. That’s more of an acquired taste.

I will keep on playing my consoles made to give you the gaming experience me and other people love.

#12 Posted by SoNin360 (5281 posts) -

I feel if I wanted a PC that could play any game I wanted to play and be good to go as long as a console would be quite expensive. With a console, you just buy it and don't have to worry about upgrading it or anything. With the Playstation and its subscription, PS+, it really pays for itself with all the games you have access to at no additional charge, and there's all the discounts too. It's not hard to find games at a good $20 or so below retail about a month after they release if you check places like eBay. Plus, renting/borrowing games is an easier option. And then a big thing for me is that I hate keyboard/mouse controls. I know you can use a controller with some games, but I don't think that's viable for every game.

I'm not entirely convinced PC gaming is cheaper, but in all honesty I don't really care. I prefer console exclusives by a wide margin over PC exclusives. I feel I've been fairly smart about my gaming purchases since I've rented several games and buy at the lowest price used when I can.

#13 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

im not sure if its cheaper... if ur lucky and your console never breaks, it may be cheaper with a console... plus by the time it breaks they will probably sell for a fraction of what you paid for them. look at the ps3 now, its barely over 150 dollars to buy brand new.

but the better graphics, mods and easy to repair ability of the pc makes it superior obviously...

That is unless your 500 dollar video card breaks, then where did that "way more expensive on console" idea go?

games cheaper on pc, yes. hardware... no way... my video card and cpu alone cost more then getting two brand new launch consoles.

#14 Posted by DuaIFace (496 posts) -

This thread has no merit.

A hobby like this is only as 'expensive' as one deems to put sed amount of money into it. The platform is irrelevant.

#15 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6006 posts) -

@DuaIFace: "sed amount"? Seriously?

The long and short of it is this- I know nothing about computer hardware, and I have no intention to learn about it. Which means that if I went with your oh-so-superior option, I'd be paying someone else to purchase and assemble the PC, and if PC techs are as unreliable as auto mechanics, I'd be over paying and receiving a product built to fail and create repeat business. No thanks.

#16 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

The long and short of it is this- I know nothing about computer hardware, and I have no intention to learn about it. Which means that if I went with your oh-so-superior option, I'd be paying someone else to purchase and assemble the PC, and if PC techs are as unreliable as auto mechanics, I'd be over paying and receiving a product built to fail and create repeat business. No thanks.

I know I'm not going to convince you or anything, but you would be surprised at how easy it is to actually put your own computer together. Before I built mine I was a little unsure that I was doing it right but then everything worked flawlessly. You basically just have to follow directions

#17 Posted by RossRichard (2331 posts) -

That is only if you pay full price for everything. I bought hundreds of games in the last 7 years, and only paid the full $60 for 4 of them. The consoles themselves drop in price if you have a little patience.

The one advantage that console gaming has is that you actually own your games. Digital is great, until you lose access to games you paid for.

#18 Edited by Netret0120 (2007 posts) -

Find me a PC for $400 that will let me play games in 6-7 years time at full optimization with no lag whatsoever and i will agree.

No worries about upgrading graphics card for $300 alone. Just pop the disc in and play.

#19 Posted by CoquiNegro (173 posts) -

This thread does not belong here, it reaks with fanboyism. People should just buy the system they like, period.

#20 Posted by thegroveman (115 posts) -

@Slannmage: Yes, but how much is your time worth?

#21 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

That's an understandable position. For a lot of PC gamers, the hardware itself is part of the fun. Upgrading, digging in, getting it all well optimized, it's a meta-game in itself.

I would say though, it's never a bad thing to know more. And building a PC now isn't like it was in the 90s either. With basically everything but the monitor being USB now, putting together a machine is just a few cable connections and turning a few screws. Back in the early days of home PCs you could easily get lost just hooking up one device, let alone building a whole machine, but nowadays there's just not much to it.

Not that I'm saying you should mind you. But anyone could. It's not for everyone, of course. But it's not really something to fear either.

#22 Posted by Ish_basic (3981 posts) -

@JML897 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

I know I'm not going to convince you or anything, but you would be surprised at how easy it is to actually put your own computer together. Before I built mine I was a little unsure that I was doing it right but then everything worked flawlessly. You basically just have to follow directions

Yeah, it is surprisingly easy to install parts, but it can be daunting for a first timer to pick them. It's like anything else - the people who know forget what it's like to have not known. My grandmother can't even pick a prebuilt computer right, let alone piece by piece. And a lot of people in the market are older and certainly not willing to learn how to put a rig together, regardless of how easy it may ultimately prove - can you blame them? They've got other shit to do.

The uncertainty is the biggest obstacle. Finding the willingness to invest 600-$800 with no other place to guide you but the internet is not easy when you've got plenty of other shit to pay for. Help channels are woefully inadequate right now. As much as we scoff at auto mechanics, if they were as bad as professional computer tech help or as difficult to reach, we'd all be riding horses. There is no uncertainty with consoles. And if it breaks, even after the warranty has expired, - you don't even have to figure out what went wrong - you just put it in a box and make it someone else's problem.

I think PC gaming is just a lot more flexible and I tend to get much more out of my PC games than my console games because of the modding freedom. But the tradeoff for that freedom for me has always been having to solve tech problems on my own, having to worry about parts not working and the budget necessary to replace them...and if it's really that part that's not working...and, you know, sometimes it's just nice to be ignorant. You can be a complete fuck-nut and run/maintain your console efficiently (as XBL and PSN have proved so thoroughly over the years). So I can understand why people would prefer them, even if they ultimately have to pay more (a point which I don't necessarily agree with).

#23 Posted by yngsten (193 posts) -

I've seen many topics claiming you can build a PC that is "way better" than the new consoles with a budget between $500 - $600. It's really not that simple though. A PC controls the movement textures/shaders/vertices from the main CPU memory to the memory of the GPU, on the PS4/XONE there is no "layer" between the game and the hardware which makes it possible to harvest all the power there is, this is not the case on a PC. I am a PC gamer, but that budget is my GPU alone. Yes, it's possible to build a fair rig with that amount, monitor, k/m etc. excluded, but it means medium resolution and framerate drops on demanding games that will look great on the consoles next year. Buying anything less than a GK110 (780,TITAN, 780ti)or AMD equalient is not gonna cut it in the near future imo, unless you're an indie gamer. AMD Mantle looks very promising though, when that technology is perfected the CPU to GPU issue could be bipassed and we can harvest the real power in a GPU which is a very interesting concept. Meanwhile be prepared to spend money on hardware if you wanna be on par with current gen, but that is just my opinion.

#24 Edited by UevenLiftBro (70 posts) -

Why are these hermits always begging consolers to play PC games?

#25 Posted by profanityVP (385 posts) -

pc gaming is far more expensive,

your comment regarding the xbox one, is fair, apart from the extra controller, cause thats local multiplayer, which you need extra controller for pc also, so its either both have extra controller or both don't..

as for the pc, u cant just simply upgrade mobo, graphics card and pcu, chances are if your getting a decent gnu the psu won't be enough, or the ram wont be compatible with the mobo, or the graphics card is too big for your existing case or will cause heat issues because its a generic case etc etc..

when it comes down to apples to apples, pc is more expensive, but theres more performance,,

its personal preference then, as far as games, as all platforms have good exclusives.

#26 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

News flash: this hobby's expensive regardless of whether you exclusively use consoles or computers. The costs will add up quick, either way.

Also, this seems better suited to System Wars.