Considering getting a PS2.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

What are some games that I should get? I'm particularly looking for RPG's and horror games. (Horror because the current generation has a severe lack of good ones, although yes I know they're there.) Really, though, I'm open to pretty much any suggestions, aside from sports games. (Not my thing.) Thanks in advance.

Also, as far as horror games go, I've already played Silent Hill 2and 3, and I've also played MGS2/ 3. (I know they are popular recomendations.)

Here is a small list of compiled thus far...

Dragon Quest VIII

Final Fantasy X/ XII

Fatal Frame games

Rule of Rose

Any more recs would be appreciated, like I said, I'm pretty much open to anything.

Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
Get Persona 4 it's easily one of the best JRPGs ever made. Also check out Persona 3 FES, you can play them in any order as the stories and characters aren't connected.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Your list suggests you prefer JRPG's. I can't suggest any of those, but if your tastes extend to Action-RPG's then a few good 'uns are as follows:

• Summoner 1 + 2
  • Champions of Norrath + Champions Return to Arms
  • The Bard's Tale
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2
  • Monster Hunter (though it's a wee bit limited without the online components)
  • Okami (Not really an RPG but unmissable nonetheless)

Outside of Silent Hill, i don't think there are (m)any games that can be described as Horror. There are the Resident Evil's (Code Veronica + 4) of course, but they're not particularly scary in any way.

-

Other games that a PS2 collection would be poorer without:

• Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ratchet and Clank 2
  • God of War 2
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2
  • 007 Everything or Nothing
  • We Love Katamari
  • SSX3 (Yes i know it's sports, but it's really very good)
  • ATV Offroad Fury 4
  • Burnout Revenge
  • Timesplitters Future Perfect
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Ace Combat Squadron Leader (The Unsung War NTSC)
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Twisted Metal Black

And most of the prequels/sequels of the above too. But if you just want the best then that list is a good place to start. :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Thanks, everyone. I'll be sure to check those games out.

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
Give Shadow hearts a try it has a nice story and a top notch gameplay. It woulr be one of those games that surprises you once you give it a chance. That's how I felt anyway.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#6 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Persona 3FES Persona 4 Rogue Galaxy Digital Devil Saga + DDS2 Devil Summoner + DS2 Haunting Ground Forbidden Siren Forbidden Siren 2 .hack .hack//G.U. And yes, do get DQVIII, 'tis my favourite game of all time.
Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

I'm also planning on getting a Playstation 2 console with my personal selection of games. Here's what I'm going to buy sometime

Area 51

Killzone

War of the Monsters

Destroy All Humans

Destroy All Humans 2

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

RLH: Run Like Hell

Silent Hill 2

Resident Evil Dead Aim

Resident Evil Outbreak or File 2

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy X-2

Final Fantasy XII

Soul Calibur III

Jaws Unleashed

WWF Smackdown 3

WWF Smackdown 4

WWF Smackdown 5 Here Comes the Pain

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Tekken 4

The Getaway

Grand Theft Auto III

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The PS2 has such a huge and varied library. There's just so many games out there to suggest that are good, in many different genres. And right now is the time to get them, because they are dirt freaking cheap. But with GameStop starting to literally throw away games, the prices aren't gonna stay this low for long, so I wouldn't sit on the fence about it for too long.

Games I would suggest (seperated by genre):

Action/Adventure:

• God of War 1 & 2
  • Grand Theft Auto Series
  • Drakan: The Ancient Gates (with lots of RPG elements)
  • The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
  • Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
  • Spider-Man 1 & 2
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2
  • Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (Stealth-based action)

Action-RPGs:

• Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
  • Champions of Norrath
  • Champions: Return to Arms
  • King's Field: The Ancient City
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  • X-Men: Legends 1 & 2

CIassic Game Collections:

• Activision Anthology
  • Capcom CIassics Collection 1 & 2
  • Mega Man Anniversary Collection
  • Mega Man X Collection
  • Metal Slug Anthology
  • SNK Arcade CIassics
  • Sega Genesis Collection (make sure it's this and not the collection of awful remakes of cIassic Sega games called "Sega CIassics Collection")
  • Sonic Mega Collection Plus
  • Taito Legends 2

Fighting:

• Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  • Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance & MK: Deception
  • Soul Calibur 2 & 3
  • Samurai Shodown Anthology
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
  • Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
  • WWE: Smackdown/Smackdown vs. Raw Series (okay, it's wrestling, but didn't need a whole catagory for 1 entry and fighting is close enough)

Racing:

• Gran Turismo 3 & 4
  • Midnight Club Series
  • Need For Speed: Most Wanted Series & NFS: Underground Series
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Test Drive Series
  • Tokyo Xtreme Racer Series

Shoot-Em Ups:

• Gradius III & IV (both games are on 1 release)
  • Gradius V
  • R-Type: Final
  • Raiden III
  • Silpheed: The Lost Planet

Other:

• Darkwatch (Horror and Western Themed First-Person Shooter)
  • Guitar Hero Series (Music/Rhythm)
  • Red Faction 1 & 2 (First-Person Shooter)
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (Survival-Horror)
  • Resident Evil 4 (Survival-Horror)
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Series & TH's Underground Series (Skateboarding)
  • Twisted Metal: Black (Vehicular Combat)
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories & Vice City Stories

Don't forget you can also play PS1 titles on the PS2

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Speaking of which, as I'm looking for a PlayStation 2 as well, where could I find one brand new... that is not $200!

halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

Persona 3 FES

Persona 4 (Probably my favorite JRPG ever!)

Final Fantasy X

Kingdom Hearts series

God of War series

Shadow of the Colossus

Gran Turismo 4

Resident Evil 4

Okami

Sly Cooper series

Ratchet and Clank series

Jak and Daxter series

Devil May Cry series

Soul Calibur II

Viewtiful Joe series

Timesplitters 2

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Looking back, if you have a PS3 and PS Vita, there's not much use for a PS2 IMO considering all the HD collections and remakes. Regardless the PS2 has some awesome games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Beyond Good and Evil Onimusha: Warlords and Onimusha 2 007: Everything or Nothing and From Russia With Love Tekken 5 Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and 2
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

I think a great, overlooked RPG on the system is Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I thought it was a blast, but it always flies under the radar.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
Good choice,ps2 has more variable games then ps3. I liked dark chronicle and the shin megami series a lot. And the games you listed are very good. Enjoy the gaming.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#15 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Good choice on getting a PS2, I would highly recommend you getting-

• Persona 4
  • Perssona 3
  • Kingdom Hearts series
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Okami
  • Devil May Cry series
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Although everyone on this thread has been ultra good with suggestions, my two pence worth would be; The Thing for best horror San Andreas for best playability Desroy all human 1 & 2 for plain fun Ratchet & Clank 1, 2 & 3 for best platformer And lastly for epicness......Shadow of the collosus
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

man it sucks how ps3 doesnt have backwards compatibility. with the lack of quality ps3 rpgs i was thinking of getting a ps2 again just for FFX and FF12. those were amazing games.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Its funny, my ps3 died three weeks ago, so I have ordered a couple OLD ps2 games for my old faithful system that has been hiding under the tele in the front room pretending to be a DVD player for four years. I'm actually a bit excited. HE'S BACK, HE'S DUSTY BUT HE'S DAMN RELIABLE!
new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

LOL

new_gamer244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 new_gamer244
Member since 2011 • 338 Posts

LOL. you can take mine...hasnt played it for a year now. i have soo much games (pirated)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Speaking of which, as I'm looking for a PlayStation 2 as well, where could I find one brand new... that is not $200!

Amster_G
Tiger Direct and Circuit City--$130.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I don't get why you don't just buy a used ps3 60gb on ebay that is backwards compatible.

Games I would recommend:
Nights into dreams remake... (well this is kind of moot since that same version is on xbl and ps3, and soon to be pc)
Klonoa 2 if you want the best 2.5d platform ever made. Dat music

Namco x capcom has a translation floating around. RPGs ain't my thing though, 2 slow paced, and no shaft.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I don't get why you don't just buy a used ps3 60gb on ebay that is backwards compatible.

JigglyWiggly_
It's more expensive than a new PS3 and may have compatibility issues with some games.
XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#24 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

Like the other posters have said, you check out the SMT games if you want some fun and challenging RPGs. I would also recommend Odin Sphere, which is a unique side scrolling-action RPG with some of the most gorgeous hand-drawn artwork I've seen on the PS2.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Although everyone on this thread has been ultra good with suggestions, my two pence worth would be; The Thing for best horror San Andreas for best playability Desroy all human 1 & 2 for plain fun Ratchet & Clank 1, 2 & 3 for best platformer And lastly for epicness......Shadow of the collosusJustinps2hero

Good run-down... I don't know if "The Thing" would make my Best Horror, but it's a definite diamond in the rough which gets no love. I found a copy earlier this year for a few shekels, and I started dancing in the store. It's one I've been looking to add to the library for quite some time, and when I got it home and started playing it, I was really impressed with how it utilizes the story established in the 1951 AND 1981 films. It's really, REALLY good.

I also agree whole-heartedly on your assessment of "Destroy All Humans I & II" (I never played the games after those, so I have no perspective to offer). I thought the games looked great, had some quality 1950s scifi humor (I love science fiction films from that era), and were a lot of fun in-general.

Here are a few more off-the-beaten-path games from my library to look out for:

Fantasy Adventure:

"Drakan: The Ancients' Gates" - Everything about this game works, and works flawlessly. From graphics to voice acting, flying to fighting, the load times are magically minimized, the open-world is chock-full of stuff to do, places to go, and things to kill for loot, it remains my favorite fantasy (sword'n'sorcery) game on the platform, possibly of all-time. Just enough action to keep your blood moving, just enough RPG elements to keep it a personal experience.

Flying:

"Sky Odyssey" - As everyone here on Legacy knows, flight games are my thing. This game has little to no combat, it's all about how good you can be as a daring pilot. The flight physics are spot-on, and the different planes from history (and even a few fantasy birds like a UFO you can unlock) are amazing fun, adding TONS of replay. There are hidden planes, parts, and a HUGE world you unlock by completing missions which you can eventually fly through for as long as you like, buzzing through underground caverns, wide-open plains, trecherous mountains, and more. Mini-games round out the package to make for an unrivaled flying game. One of the few games I ever purchased a Brady Guide for. Don't pay the reviews on any website any heed (usually 7/10); Buy it, try it, I think if you enjoy flight games at all, you'll love this one as much as I do.

Driving:

"ToCA Race Driver 3" - As good as "Gran Turismo", but it covers just about any kind of racing done on four wheels - Even Monster Trucks! Real world tracks, real-world cars, and you can keep it light or get into the nitty-gritty of set-ups, either way, it's a really fun game which will keep you cruising.

Fighting:

"Godzilla: Save the Earth" - Up to four players with a multi-tap, giant monster fighting that rocks. All of Toho's monsters are beautifully represented, and control very well... The story mode is a throw-away, but isn't that the case with MOST fighters? "Godzilla UNLEASHED" did NOT fair as well as this game did, so don't assume they're all equal. "Save the Earth" is a lot of fun with a friend on the couch.

Pinball:

"Williams" & "Gotleib" Hall of Fame Collections - Great physics, graphics, and some top-notch tables represented in these oft-overlooked collections.

"Flipnic" - Bizarre, crazy, addictive fantasy pinball that will really help you un-wind after a long day.

Strategy:

"Future Tactics" - Fun cartoony graphics, and deep, addictive gameplay come together for one of the best strategy games to ever get made. No one bought it, and it failed as a seller, but that doesn't make it any less fantastic.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

RPG:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Persona 3 FES

Persona 4

Tales of the Abyss

Horror:

Well, you already listed Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, so I guess there's Resident Evil Code: Veronica X and the Outbreak games. Also, give Siren a try if you haven't, it's really good Japanese survival horror that competes with Silent Hill imo. Lastly, The Thing is a pretty decent game, although I played the Xbox version, but it's identical to the PS2 version.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

"Sky Odyssey" - As everyone here on Legacy knows, flight games are my thing. This game has little to no combat, it's all about how good you can be as a daring pilot. The flight physics are spot-on, and the different planes from history (and even a few fantasy birds like a UFO you can unlock) are amazing fun, adding TONS of replay. There are hidden planes, parts, and a HUGE world you unlock by completing missions which you can eventually fly through for as long as you like, buzzing through underground caverns, wide-open plains, trecherous mountains, and more. Mini-games round out the package to make for an unrivaled flying game. One of the few games I ever purchased a Brady Guide for. Don't pay the reviews on any website any heed (usually 7/10); Buy it, try it, I think if you enjoy flight games at all, you'll love this one as much as I do.

MonkeySpot

I can vouch for that too. Really good fun game, though rather tricky towards the end! Though if you're negatively affected by graphics, then you may be disappointed. In most missions it looks like a PS1 game (it's not important, but just saying).

Gamespot's reviews for it are generally quite accurate hovering around the 9/10 mark.