Connecticut town collecting and destroying games

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

Following the massacre in Newtown, Conn. that left 20 children and six adults dead on December 14, community leaders in the nearby town of Southington (about 35 minutes away) are planning to collect and destroy violent video games, as well as CDs and DVDs.

The Hartford Courantreports that volunteers will assemble at the Southington Drive-In on January 12 to accept any video games parents or children wish to get rid of. These games will be destroyed, and each family will receive a gift certificate to a local restaurant, the Lake Compounce amusement park, or a bowling alley.

"We want to stop the violence in our community," Southington board president of the chamber of commerce said Charlie Cocuzza said. "Those games can cost $60 or $70. So we want to give families a certificate to do something fun and family-oriented, something where they can spend a couple of hours together instead."

The initiative is being spearheaded by the Southing SOS community group. The organization made clear it is not linking violent games directly to the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Instead, they suggest that now is a suitable time for parents to engage their children in discussions about whether or not playing violent games is appropriate.

"We're not saying the use of video games causes people to become murderers, but there's evidence that it causes increases in aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and desensitization about actions of violence," said director of community services Susan Saucier.

National Rifle Association vice president Wayne LaPierre said at a press conference last month that violent video games like Bulletstorm and Mortal Kombat were partially to blame for December 14's deadly shooting in Connecticut. California senator Leland Yee called this claim "mind-boggling."

Earlier in December, West Virginia senator Jay Rockefeller introduced a bill to Congress that would direct the National Academy of Sciences to investigate how violent games and other such programming affect children.

Gamespot

OK, THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION!

Do you honestly think that collecting and destroying all forms of videogames, CDs, and DVDs that revolve around violence is going to stop the violence? Some of these people...their intentions may be noble or decent, but this is not how to solve the problem. At all. What a waste!

#2 Posted by MrGeezer (56504 posts) -
*shrugs* Big deal. They aren't going around confiscating people's video games, and they aren't preventing people from buying or selling videogames. It's 100% voluntary. If people want to destroy their own video games, I couldn't care less.
#3 Posted by Namgis (3577 posts) -

Can't wait to see the footage from this event and the destruction of the games. How many morons will turn up to dance, chant and start an all out mob?

Simpsons-Angry-Mob.png

-

Also curious as to how many other towns will have this same bright idea. They should release the numbers for the top titles collected. Probably going to be games from launch that one would get no more than $.25 from GS.

#4 Posted by Zen_Light (1236 posts) -

It's 100% voluntary so I don't see a problem. It's there for families who don't want their children playing or watching violent content. A lot of that stuff is trash anyways, so who cares if they willingly want it destroyed?

#5 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

It's 100% voluntary so I don't see a problem. It's there for families who don't want their children playing or watching violent content. A lot of that stuff is trash anyways, so who cares if they willingly want it destroyed?

Zen_Light

Ironically it would have been the parents who would have bought the games for the kids in the first place...

Anyway, this is idiocy beyond my comprehension.

#6 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -

angry-mob.jpeg%20%20

Correct your history books: the Middle Ages are not over yet

#7 Posted by c_rakestraw (14709 posts) -

It was dumb when people did this with various fiction novels and its dumb now that they're doing this with games. Never understood the point. It's not accomplishing anything; it's just wasteful.

#8 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Seems some people still don't realize that our generation is far far less violent than the older generation. Even with violent video games throughout our lifetime, maybe it actually creates an outlet...
#9 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Useless and pointless.

I mean, their intent to stop violence in the community is all well and good. But this isn't the solution.

#10 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16788 posts) -

Eh, it's voluntary and they need a scapegoat. I personally dn't think it's the right solution but I can't speak for them because I've never been in their shoes.

#11 Posted by Archangel3371 (15728 posts) -
So sad to see time and effort being wasted when it could and should be better focused on taking on the real problem instead. Hopefully most will not partake in this sillyness and show that they'd rather engage in more meaningful ways to address the tragedy.
#12 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I'm so sick of stupid people.

#13 Posted by guynamedbilly (12965 posts) -
I welcome our new Inquisitor overlords.
#14 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

I remember there was a movement like that several years ago in germany for other reasons, they also wanted to collect people's violent video games. They brought huuuuge stashes to be able to handle all the people giving away their stuff.

The footage from it, which I unfortunatley can't find anymore was hilarious. After the whole day there were about 2 or 3 games in the stashes x)

#15 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Religious idiocy at it's finest no doubt.
#16 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

Religious idiocy at it's finest no doubt.GodModeEnabled

"Gah this is so stupid they're just trying to find a scapegoat"
"I blame religion for this"

#17 Posted by Skinon (86 posts) -

What a waste of the resources used to create the products in the first place! Why don't the sell them out to other people or something instead of just destroying them? or at least make it into a monument or something...

Ahwell small minded retardation at its finest. USA USA USA!

#18 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

This idiocy, even on a voluntary basis reminds me of this.

#19 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

There was no mention of religion in this. :?

#20 Posted by MrGeezer (56504 posts) -

Useless and pointless.

I mean, their intent to stop violence in the community is all well and good. But this isn't the solution.

Lucky_Krystal
I don't think that's quite their intention. After all, they sort of admit that videogames aren't causing violence, so they aren't really trying to stop violence by destroying videogames. It's a lot more simple than that. They're just saying that they think the violence in video games is f***ed up, and they're showing their disapproval by destroying the violent videogames that they bought. Again...I agree that it's a bit silly, but I don't have a problem with it. At least (in theory) they're expressing their disapproval of something (the violence in games) by going public (public announcements about the games being destroyed), and they're actually sacrificing something by making that statement (they're losing their videogames). In principle, I see absolutely no problem with this whatsoever, and it's actually a little bit of a stretch to make it sound like they're blaming videogames for violence. In PRACTICE, though, it's sort of a BS gesture. I'll wager that most of the people donating video games to be destroyed are actually donating their kids videogames. Either that, or they're just giving away crappy video games that they don't want anyway. In both cases, that'd make the gesture sort of hollow since it doesn't really involve any personal sacrifice. But hey...in THEORY I can get behind this. At least in theory, they see a problem and they're trying to go a step beyond just complaining about it on the internet.
#21 Posted by homeboylizard (1289 posts) -

Comlpete and total waste of resources. Seriously, whoever thought of this was a part of the Nazi Germany who burned books.

#23 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

Oh please. We don't need CSI to find its fingerprints all over this madness. Violent, overly dramatic displays of indignation are a staple of religion. Plus they have a history of burning things they don't like. Or people who disagree.
#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72234 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

Vari3ty

Ironically it would have been the parents who would have bought the games for the kids in the first place...

Anyway, this is idiocy beyond my comprehension.

yeah, besides NO study has been proven that games are harmful for kids
#25 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -
I smell a nice exploit here: as I understand it, they give you a $60 gift certificate in excange for the games to burn. So I say, hit gamestop, buy a copy of Mindjack or Neverdead for 10 bucks and get a $60 gift certificate from those morons. Rinse anf repeat until they are out of money.
#26 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72234 posts) -
I smell a nice exploit here: as I understand it, they give you a $60 gift certificate in excange for the games to burn. So I say, hit gamestop, buy a copy of Mindjack or Neverdead for 10 bucks and get a $60 gift certificate from those morons. Rinse anf repeat until they are out of money.Black_Knight_00
that would be nice :D
#27 Posted by MirkoS77 (7566 posts) -
Meh. People just need a scapegoat and need to feel they're acting against what they perceive to be a cause. They want to waste their own money, go ahead. Perhaps they should burn all their movies and books at the same time. This isn't surprising, nor is it worrying as violent games will never be outright banned. The worst that will happen would be tighter age restrictions. This stuff happens after every school massacre, and nothing ever changes. Just sit back and laugh at these tools. I wish I were a millionaire so I could buy 10,000 copies of Manhunt and set up a booth near these idiots as they bring their games in to give away to anyone who wants it.
#28 Posted by MirkoS77 (7566 posts) -

What a waste of the resources used to create the products in the first place! Why don't the sell them out to other people or something instead of just destroying them? or at least make it into a monument or something...

Ahwell small minded retardation at its finest. USA USA USA!

Skinon
Well, selling it to others would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Their destroying them is symbolic. They want to make a statement against violence in the media as well as remove the possibility of them falling into the hands of others.
#29 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

Oh please. We don't need CSI to find its fingerprints all over this madness. Violent, overly dramatic displays of indignation are a staple of religion. Plus they have a history of burning things they don't like. Or people who disagree.

Thanks mein, that's pretty much it. There is no way religion is not involved.
#30 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"] There was no mention of religion in this. :? GodModeEnabled

You two are just hilarious :lol:

#31 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Oh please. We don't need CSI to find its fingerprints all over this madness. Violent, overly dramatic displays of indignation are a staple of religion. Plus they have a history of burning things they don't like. Or people who disagree.Lucky_Krystal

And you are clueless.
#32 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Thanks mein, that's pretty much it. There is no way religion is not involved.GodModeEnabled

And you are clueless.

Point in case, right?
#33 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"] There was no mention of religion in this. :? GodModeEnabled

Gentlemen, there is only one thing we should and can do. They want violent video games to be turned in for a gift certificate. Then, by all means, there is no other violent video game other than Smurfs that I think we should all turn in...

Bible Games

....and pretty much anything else by Wisdom Tree.

#34 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Oh please. We don't need CSI to find its fingerprints all over this madness. Violent, overly dramatic displays of indignation are a staple of religion. Plus they have a history of burning things they don't like. Or people who disagree.juradai

Gentlemen, there is only one thing we should and can do. They want violent video games to be turned in for a gift certificate. Then, by all means, there is no other violent video game other than Smurfs

Did you know that many crackpot christians avoid the Smurfs as well? I'm not joking, they think they're the friendly representation of the evil spirits of the forest, hence demons. As I said, crackpot.

#35 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

It's disgraceful the number of people who are tragically beaten to death with video games year after year. It's a good thing they weren't shot to death, otherwise we might all be collecting and destroying guns instead. Afterall, guns keep us safe, not video games. If more people had guns, there wouldn't be so many tragic video game beatings time and time again. There won't be any more tragic deaths if every single person on earth has enough guns, but video games make the world a dangerous place.

#36 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

[QUOTE="juradai"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Thanks mein, that's pretty much it. There is no way religion is not involved.Black_Knight_00

Gentlemen, there is only one thing we should and can do. They want violent video games to be turned in for a gift certificate. Then, by all means, there is no other violent video game other than Smurfs

Did you know that many crackpot christians avoid the Smurfs as well? I'm not joking, they think they're the friendly representation of the evil spirits of the forest, hence demons. As I said, crackpot.

I grew up and was raised around southern baptist folk. They can turn pretty much anything fun and innocent into the devil. It's unfortunate because some of the people I knew were quite intelligent.

I don't see this instance with the Southington SOS group as being that way, however, I'm more confused with the message they are sending (but saying they are not). If they are not saying that violent video games are the problem yet they wish for families to turn in violent video games so that it may start discussions about them with their children then how are they not pointing to video games as being the problem?

I suppose hinting and blatant pointing are two different things.

#37 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"] [QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Religious idiocy at it's finest no doubt.Black_Knight_00

Unbelievable. How do you guys not see the hypocrisy in what you're saying?

You're angry at this town because there's no reason to believe video games are behind any massacre, yet at the same time you're blaming religion for this when there's no evidence whatsoever that religion has anything to do with this. You're doing the same f*cking thing as the people you're upset with. You're jumping to conclusions when there's no evidence to support what you're saying.

I guess it's cooler/edgier on the internet to be anti-religion than anti-videogame so that makes it okay. Grow up.

#38 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"] [QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Religious idiocy at it's finest no doubt.Black_Knight_00

This is just about stupid people being stupid.

Don't be so narrow-minded and blame religion without any reasonable facts to back yourself up.

How ironic.

#39 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
going to be very interesting when it doesn't stop violence.
#40 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"] There was no mention of religion in this. :? JML897

You're angry at this town because there's no reason to believe video games are behind any massacre, yet at the same time you're blaming religion for this when there's no evidence whatsoever that religion has anything to do with this. You're doing the same f*cking thing as the people you're upset with. You're jumping to conclusions when there's no evidence to support what you're saying.

I guess it's cooler/edgier on the internet to be anti-religion than anti-videogame so that makes it okay. Grow up.

You are either very young, very naive, or some combination of the two. It's not about being angry, or being "cool" it's a normal logical conclusion to whats behind psychotic behavior such as what's going on in this story. It is abnormal, insane behavior. Every time you have ever read or heard about book burnings, or other media destruction to "help" the children has come from religion. It's baffling to me how someone could think it is not. Not all religious people are crazy to be certain, but this is what extremists do. There are more religious extremists in the world than just the islams.
#41 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"] There was no mention of religion in this. :? JML897

So you deny that organized religion has done this exact same thing in the past (burning heavy metal LPs/cassettes/CDs/DVDs, videogames, "ungodly" books, rival "holy" books)? That fact alone is precedent enough to reasonably assume this is once again the case. Which is reassuring, really, since by concluding this is nothing but the latest raving of some religious lunatic we can more easily dismiss this whole affair.
#43 Posted by skipper847 (3333 posts) -

Its like everything its just a myth that computer games cause this and as soon as some one says it they follow like sheep. Its like epilepsy seizure from flashing lights they dont exist its just one person says it and its automaticly true. I had seizure for 3 years from 2001 to 2004 and as seen i said i play games on computer doc said its epilepsy seizure due to flashing lights from computer. At which point i turned and said no its not its something else. Which 3 years later it turned out to be my kidney failing and since 2004 been on dialysis and from 2004 till now had a kidney transplant ive been clear of seizures and more to the point been playing on Games every day and still fine.

But still sorry for those who did die but no good in blaming games.

#44 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

This is an emotional response and not a logical one. Banning games just like banning guns is not based in reality, it's not going to solve the issue.

#45 Posted by MrGeezer (56504 posts) -

This is an emotional response and not a logical one. Banning games just like banning guns is not based in reality, it's not going to solve the issue.

ShadowMoses900
They're not calling for games to be banned.
#46 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Oh please. We don't need CSI to find its fingerprints all over this madness. Violent, overly dramatic displays of indignation are a staple of religion. Plus they have a history of burning things they don't like. Or people who disagree.Black_Knight_00

So you deny that organized religion has done this exact same thing in the past (burning heavy metal LPs/cassettes/CDs/DVDs, videogames, "ungodly" books, rival "holy" books)? That fact alone is precedent enough to reasonably assume this is once again the case. Which is reassuring, really, since by concluding this is nothing but the latest raving of some religious lunatic we can more easily dismiss this whole affair.

I'm religious (Judaism) and I don't burn or attack people, I have no problem with science and believe in evolution, I don't hate gays, I'm not racist, I don't seek to ban works of art or books or any of that stuff. My religious role models a Jesus, Martin Luther King Jr, and other religious men of peace and love.

Thanks for generalising. Ironic how you claim to be open minded but it seems that you actually are not. And there is nothing to suggest that religion had anything to do with this tragedy.

#47 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

yep. it's dumb. no excuses. so what if it's "their own" games... so what if it's "not hurting anybody"? it's feeding into people's narcissism and stupidity. if you people want another slippery slope of what people can prefer to be stupid about, rather then intelligent and logical... then HURRAY, mission accomplished. but it's FREAKING STUPID, PERIOD.

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="JML897"]

ShadowMoses900

I'm religious (Judaism) and I don't burn or attack people, I have no problem with science and believe in evolution, I don't hate gays, I'm not racist, I don't seek to ban works of art or books or any of that stuff. My religious role models a Jesus, Martin Luther King Jr, and other religious men of peace and love.

Thanks for generalising. Ironic how you claim to be open minded but it seems that you actually are not. And there is nothing to suggest that religion had anything to do with this tragedy.

*sigh* religious people. NOBODY CARES IF YOU DON'T DO NOTHING. NOBODY. it's still very... religious, regardless if a certain God is involved or not... considering that people just conclude that HEY THERE IS ONE. so what? noooo one here is saying "oh religion is killing games!" they are saying the very act of burning things to escape from reality IS RELIGIOUS. sorry if you're offended but it's a completely valid opinion, and you being religious and not being completely heinous isn't much of a reason to be shooting said opinions down. see, that's what religious people do!

#48 Posted by Archangel3371 (15728 posts) -
There's no "religous zealotry" connection here. Claiming so is just the same knee-jerk reaction at generalising that these people are doing here.
#49 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

There's no "religous zealotry" connection here. Claiming so is just the same knee-jerk reaction at generalising that these people are doing here.Archangel3371
uhhh, no yes yes their is. i'd be willing bet any money that half of the participants will call themselves Christian or religious in some context.

it's just the way it is... people can behave without religious "intentions" but it doesn't mean that they AREN'T religious; and people who are religious do certain things that are based in imagination and not in reality. like for example... thinking that BURNING stuff is going to make their problems go away.

ITS EXACTLY RELIGIOUS. just because no one is claiming a Godly commandment for this stupidity, doesn't mean it's not religious people doing the stupidity. plus, it doesn't mean stupid NON-RELIGIOUS people aren't comforming to the weak willed swathe of losers, either.:roll:

#50 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

yep. it's dumb. no excuses. so what if it's "their own" games... so what if it's "not hurting anybody"? it's feeding into people's narcissism and stupidity. if you people want another slippery slope of what people can prefer to be stupid about, rather then intelligent and logical... then HURRAY, mission accomplished. but it's FREAKING STUPID, PERIOD.

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] So you deny that organized religion has done this exact same thing in the past (burning heavy metal LPs/cassettes/CDs/DVDs, videogames, "ungodly" books, rival "holy" books)? That fact alone is precedent enough to reasonably assume this is once again the case. Which is reassuring, really, since by concluding this is nothing but the latest raving of some religious lunatic we can more easily dismiss this whole affair.Justin_G

*sigh* religious people. NOBODY CARES IF YOU DON'T DO NOTHING. NOBODY. it's still very... religious, regardless if a certain God is involved or not... considering that people just conclude that HEY THERE IS ONE. so what? noooo one here is saying "oh religion is killing games!" they are saying the very act of burning things to escape from reality IS RELIGIOUS. sorry if you're offended but it's a completely valid opinion, and you being religious and not being completely heinous isn't much of a reason to be shooting said opinions down. see, that's what religious people do!

This is going OT so I'm just going to post this and then leave it alone.

You don't seem to understand what this is about, there are people in this thread who made bigoted comments about religious people and were blaming religion for these bad events. You guys made massive generalisations and inaccuracies. They are just as closed minded as the religious extremists they are attacking.

There is NO religious connection to this tragedy whatsoever. You are blaming nothing just like the people that are blaming video games. You have an agenda you want to push and you are using a tragedy to achieve it.