Confirmed: Epic Mickey 2 a commercial disaster, Junction Point closed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185656/Its_official_Disney_shuts_down_Epic_Mickey_studio_Junction_Point.php

A statement received by Gamasutra reads as follows:

It was with much sadness that we informed our teams today of changes to our Games organization, which include the closure of Junction Point Studios. These changes are part of our ongoing effort to address the fast-evolving gaming platforms and marketplace and to align resources against our key priorities. Were extremely grateful to Warren Spector and the Junction Point team for their creative contributions to Disney with Disney Epic Mickey and Disney Epic Mickey 2.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/16/report-epic-mickey-2-sold-270k-copies-in-north-america-last-yea/

Epic Mickey, released in November 2010, reportedly sold 1.3 million copies by the close of that year. If accurate, Epic Mickey 2's sales represent a commercial plummet for the series, despite the sequel coming to PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U last year in addition to the Wii, not to mention the 700 or so people who worked on the game.

If true, Disney are idiots if they ever let Warren Spector (who has clearly lost his touch) darken their door again. Epic Mickey had some really cool concept art, but based on the underwhelming demo of EM2 and the lukewarm at best reviews of both games (EM2's reviews complained about sloppy combat, poor companion AI, a bad camera and repetitive mission design) the series never lived up to its promise.

e017ba89e9a60022c16a3463056b31f2.jpg

goofy_zombie.jpg

#2 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

Never got to play the first due to it being on the wii. Tried the demo for EM2 on my PS3 and thought it was ok, dodgy camera though. Was nowhere near as cool as the above art though :p

#3 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
The first game was just ok, I had zero interest in the sequel. This is a case of the quality just not being there.
#4 Posted by Grieverr (2586 posts) -

I never understood the hype for this game. It's an average platformer at best. It always sucks to see a game not do well, but these sales numbers seem about what I would've guessed.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (15235 posts) -
Well that can't be good. I never had an interest in the games myself but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for Warren as he did appear to be passionate about the games.
#6 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2814 posts) -
I never had a drive to play these two games despite my Wii being hungry for another game. Something about the two just doesn't give me a real incentive to go out and buy it. It lacks a selling point besides it just being Mickey Mouse.
#7 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
The first game was just ok, I had zero interest in the sequel. This is a case of the quality just not being there.dvader654
I played a couple hours of the first game and it was just trash. Terrible camera, controls, graphics, super interesting premise and idea....
#8 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]The first game was just ok, I had zero interest in the sequel. This is a case of the quality just not being there.GodModeEnabled
I played a couple hours of the first game and it was just trash. Terrible camera, controls, graphics, super interesting premise and idea....

Huh. Damn weird Disney greenlit a multiplat sequel. A lot of game companies look at consumer feedback in addition to sales figures, but I guess Disney isn't (or wasn't) one of those companies.

#9 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Disney Epic Mickey was riddled with poor programming and design choices, and what we saw of the sequel made it seem like more of the same. No surprise that people stayed away from the sequel.

goofy_zombie.jpg

This may sound blasphemous, but I'm glad stuff like this never made into the final version of Disney Epic Mickey. The game was made to be a celebration of Disney's animation history, not something that looks like some DeviantArt user's wet dream.

#10 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18161 posts) -
I feel sorry for Warren Spector, but he should have kept doing what he did best: Deus Ex
#11 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

It really is a shame, because as TC said the concept art was insanely awesome.

#12 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I feel sorry for Warren Spector, but he should have kept doing what he did best: Deus ExBlack_Knight_00
Nah. If this is the kind of work he is doing nowadays he can go open a starbucks or something and fvck off. Deus Ex is doing just fine without him.
#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18161 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I feel sorry for Warren Spector, but he should have kept doing what he did best: Deus ExGodModeEnabled
Nah. If this is the kind of work he is doing nowadays he can go open a starbucks or something and fvck off. Deus Ex is doing just fine without him.

True, Deus Ex HR was surprisingly great. Still, Spector should be maing cool espionage games, not Mickey Mouse. Or as Gunny would say it:

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (29054 posts) -

The games sucked and Mickey Mouse isn't well known these days compared to the past.

#15 Posted by BranKetra (47747 posts) -
Something about this game makes it unappealing. Perhaps it's God of War's influence. Since he's an anti-hero and the franchise is as popular as it is the character temporarily darkened the word which is the first in the game titles. Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2. I was actually interested in both games initially, but I truly think that's why because Mickey Mouse is an ageless character who fits fantastically in Kingdom Hearts. When he's in standalone games, the sales aren't as good. Strange, right?
#16 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I feel sorry for Warren Spector, but he should have kept doing what he did best: Deus ExBlack_Knight_00

True, Deus Ex HR was surprisingly great. Still, Spector should be maing cool espionage games, not Mickey Mouse.

Wasn't he involved in Thief as well? Surely, he could be doing stuff like that.
#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18161 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Nah. If this is the kind of work he is doing nowadays he can go open a starbucks or something and fvck off. Deus Ex is doing just fine without him.CRS98

True, Deus Ex HR was surprisingly great. Still, Spector should be maing cool espionage games, not Mickey Mouse.

Wasn't he involved in Thief as well? Surely, he could be doing stuff like that.

Indeed he was. Both Thief 1 and 3 and then Ultima, Wing Commander, System Shock and of course Deus Ex 1 and 2. Such a waste to see him slum on Mickey Mouse games.
#18 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#19 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -
I liked the first game, but it had its fair share of problem. When you make a sequel, you fix those problems. Not only did Epic Mickey 2 not fix ANY of the problems of the first game, it created entirely new ones as well. Oswald's AI was so piss poor, it made Sheeva (sp?) from RE5 look like a freaking genius. Plus, the Wii U version (which I so stupidly bought) had terrible frame rate issues. I never like hearing studios being shut down, but in Junction Point's case, it's for the best so a third game will never ever come from them.
#20 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

I liked the first game, but it had its fair share of problem. When you make a sequel, you fix those problems. Not only did Epic Mickey 2 not fix ANY of the problems of the first game, it created entirely new ones as well. Oswald's AI was so piss poor, it made Sheeva (sp?) from RE5 look like a freaking genius. Plus, the Wii U version (which I so stupidly bought) had terrible frame rate issues. I never like hearing studios being shut down, but in Junction Point's case, it's for the best so a third game will never ever come from them.JustPlainLucas
Really? That's incredibly baffling. If you could get the game to work on weaker hardware, then a stronger system should be able to run it without a hitch. In any case, it just goes to show that all the ambition and good ideas in the world doesn't matter if the team handling them is just plain incompetent.

#21 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]I liked the first game, but it had its fair share of problem. When you make a sequel, you fix those problems. Not only did Epic Mickey 2 not fix ANY of the problems of the first game, it created entirely new ones as well. Oswald's AI was so piss poor, it made Sheeva (sp?) from RE5 look like a freaking genius. Plus, the Wii U version (which I so stupidly bought) had terrible frame rate issues. I never like hearing studios being shut down, but in Junction Point's case, it's for the best so a third game will never ever come from them.1PMrFister

Really? That's incredibly baffling. If you could get the game to work on weaker hardware, then a stronger system should be able to run it without a hitch. In any case, it just goes to show that all the ambition and good ideas in the world doesn't matter if the team handling them is just plain incompetent.

The Wii U port was clearly rushed. I watched the Giant Bomb live stream the day Wii U came out and they were playing it, totally collapsed right at the beginning. It's too bad for Junction Point, I hope everyone finds some work sometime soon.
#22 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -

1PMrFister
Just depends on the amount of time you have to get yourself familiarized with the hardware I guess. Assassin's Creed 3 also had a few frame rate problems (no where near EM2's level, though). I just chalk it up to launch system blues.
#23 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

A statement received by Gamasutra reads as follows:

It was with much sadness that we informed our teams today of changes to our Games organization, which include the closure of Junction Point Studios. These changes are part of our ongoing effort to address the fast-evolving gaming platforms and marketplace and to align resources against our key priorities. Were extremely grateful to Warren Spector and the Junction Point team for their creative contributions to Disney with Disney Epic Mickey and Disney Epic Mickey 2.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185656/Its_official_Disney_shuts_down_Epic_Mickey_studio_Junction_Point.php

Hope they land on their feet. The fact that they made crap games doesn't necessarily mean that they sucked. Warren Spector is a legendary game developer and a huge Disney fan, but he wasn't able to successfully combine his two passions.

#24 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

The games sucked and Mickey Mouse isn't well known these days compared to the past.

Bigboi500

Agreed. My favorite game that had anything to do with Mickey was on the Super Nintendo and it was called Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.

Had Junction Point tried something along those lines, I think it we would've had a major hit on our hands.

#25 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18161 posts) -

One can only hope Square Enix has already given Warren Spector a call

EDIT: He left Disney. That's an encouraging start

#26 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Metamania

Agreed. My favorite game that had anything to do with Mickey was on the Super Nintendo and it was called Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.

Had Junction Point tried something along those lines, I think it we would've had a major hit on our hands.

The best Mickey Mouse game is still Castle of Illusion on the Genesis. I stumbled across a video of it on Youtube recently, and it nearly made me run out and buy a used Genesis. Such a fantastic game.

#27 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
surprised the first even got a sequel, seeing as how bad it was.