Complete Comparison Between Supreme Commander 1 and Supreme Commander 2 PLZ

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dovahkiin4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dovahkiin4201
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

hey guys i just picked up supreme commander 2 today as a friend recommended it to me, and i found it to be AWESOME, it's the type of strategy game i was looking for, not too complex, and it's very easy to build 500 units, plus the artillery is so fun to watch, i set the artillery then went and made lunch whie leaving the game unpaused lol.

but i saw on IGN and heard that Supreme Commander 1 is better, but i also heard it's more complex and has a learning curve, so it's not very easy to get into.

so i was wondering if anyone can give me all the details on the differences in everything between those 2 games plz

Thanks

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Where to start? I agree, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance was way better than Supreme Commander 2. Me and my buddies still have 8 player LAN parties all the time playing that game, none of us play Supreme Commander 2 anymore. The biggest difference between Supreme Commander 1 and 2 is the economy and the scale.

In Supreme Commander everything was expressed in rates of how fast energy and mass were coming in, and when you built things it built at a rate instead of paying the bulk of the resources up front. Unfortunately this would stall a lot of players because they would start building tons of things and their rate of resources needed would far exceed the amount of resources that were coming in and nothing would get built and they wouldn't know how to recover. Maps were huge and you could have up to 1000 units. There was no tech tree like the one in Supreme Commander 2, you didn't upgrade your units on the fly, you had to build more advanced factories to build more complex units. Units often had firing ranges beyond their line of sight which meant using radar was critical. Scout units and intelligence were also crucial. Above all Supreme Commander 1 was a game about economics. Players had to intellegently use their resources to claim more resources until they could overcome their enemy, or if you had a weaker economy, identify a critical weakness through intelligence and use certain units to exploit that weakness and destroy the enemy's commander.

Maps were huge, I mean HUGE. 81x81km, playing Supreme Commander 2 feels like playing in a kids sandbox compared to the vast world of Supreme Commander 1. In Supreme Commander 2 they dumbed down everything. You have to buy everything with the resources up front, if you find a weakness in your strategy you can quickly use the tech tree to adapt, you can adapt any unit to any role with enough points on the tech tree. You can't buy anything on credit meaning you have to micromanage even more. Maps were scaled down to tiny sizes, the unit count is lower. Games play out fast favoring tactics over strategy. The game pace is fast often finishing in under half an hour when in Supreme Commander 1 games could for several hours.

Supreme Commander 2 is an odd game. People who loved Supreme Commander 1 hate Supreme Commander 2. Those who hated Supreme Commander 1 probably didn't try Supreme Commander 2. Supreme Commander 2, to fans of Forged Alliance, is a stupid, dumbed down real-time tactics game. Matches play out as matches of cheap tactics to accumulate research points, your commander acts like a character from DOTA and if you can get more research points and get to your build the fastest you can annihilate your enemy within minutes.

Supreme Commander was a game of gathering intelligence, economic control, flexing muscle, speculation, ruse, careful planning, guerilla tactics, fierce resource management, heavy analysis of unit strengths and weaknesses. Supreme Commander 2 destroyed everything that was good about Supreme Commander 1 and changed the game completely.

Worst $50 I've ever spent. The fact me and my friends still play FA to this day speaks volumes. Sometimes we just sit down and watch replays of games past, even though they can be hours long because they are that entertaining. No other game has had me sweat bullets quite like a lan match of FA. Building plans to defend your commander and infilitrate the weaknesses of your enemy, it was real time STRATEGY at its finest at a huge scale. Sorry, I'm ranting. Supreme Commander 2 is not a terrible game, it's a decent real time strategy game by every other standard, but it doesn't hold a candle to FA.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Marfoo covers it pretty well.

SupCom 2 was just dull. SupCom/FA was a constant challenge as the AI would push back hard, even in the campaign (I remember having my naval supremacy wiped out by the computer when I overextended and then stuck battling its fleet with my base defences in one tense game). If you ever managed to build one of the Super-Units in SupCom, it was a huge achievement due to the vast amount of resources you had to plough into it, SupCom2 made them easier to build and easier to kill, taking away the whole point of them.

I sat through 3 hours of SupCom2 and stopped playing because of the boredom it inflicted.

Dovahkiin4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dovahkiin4201

ok so that eliminates Supcom 2

But which is better FA or 1???

P.S. Thanks for the help guys

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Marfoo

ok so that eliminates Supcom 2

But which is better FA or 1???

P.S. Thanks for the help guys

Dovahkiin4201
FA is better than 1. Supreme Commander's economy was balanced such that turtling and "mass farming" was the winning strategy, meaning a talented player this way through careful planning had to do little expanding. FA rebalanced it such that there is much more emphasis on expanding and claiming resources on the map making turtling extremely hard. Low tier resource harvesting structures were extremely cost effective whereas more expensive or conversion structures were much much less cost effective, meaning expansion and control of resource became the name of the game.
Dovahkiin4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dovahkiin4201

i'm not a big fan of expanding to be honest, i usually like to turtle in, then start contructing my army, like i do in SCII.

anyways the only reason i like Supcomm is because i like to build huge armies easily and build artillery

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marfoo

i'm not a big fan of expanding to be honest, i usually like to turtle in, then start contructing my army, like i do in SCII.

anyways the only reason i like Supcomm is because i like to build huge armies easily and build artillery

Dovahkiin4201
Well, if you're not playing against human opponents then turtling is still possible in SC1 and FA.
Trion3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Trion3
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts

as a BIG fan of Supcomm 1/FA i was realy disapointed by Supcomm 2 they had a great game and they ruined it

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Supreme Commander 1 was AWESOME! Supreme Commander 2.. well I have no idea how they can make such a crappy dumbed down game after releasing such an epic amazing game like the first one was.
DilliDalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DilliDalli
Shout out to FAF- the new community driven lobby to provide Forged Alliance Multiplayer to everyone everywhere. http://www.faforever.com/ Also I just want to repeat what others have already said, FA is easily the greatest game every made because it was made to be a proper RTS, not a cash farm like other games are quickly becoming. I'm not sure if I can ever see another game surpass it.
quil8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 quil8
> I have no idea how they can make such a crappy dumbed down game after releasing such an epic amazing game like the first one was. It's easy. Step 1: decide to go for the mouth-breathing console 'tard market. Step 2: go for it.
SipahSalar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 SipahSalar
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

Marfoo pretty much explains all the reasons. I would explain the reasons behind reasons.

Supreme Commander 1 Forged Alliance : Great game, worthy successor to Total Annhilation games. Its innovative, its got good graphics and sounds and is also complex.

Supreme Commander 2 : Its the typical developors got greedy story. They wanted more customers, so they decided to betray the original fans and dumbed down the game and completely changed pretty much everything which has resulted in a crappy game and probably the end of the franchise.

Enigma411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Enigma411
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hey Guys, Just a heads-up. The developers who made SC1 (which rocks) have a Kickstarter going for their next RTS game. Check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg Mike