Competetive games - issues!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CavemanYes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CavemanYes
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Why turn games into a sport and a competition? I just want to be able to sit down and play a game that I thought looked fun without being called a noob, without having to worry about K/D's, stats or reputation. It has gone so far that casual players are now seen as a lower class gamers.

It seems like today every game has a competetive side, some even go full comepetetive all the way through, and I feel like that pushes the casual gamers aside. I was going to try out SMITE because it looked like fun, but then I went to their website and I saw this massive adverstisement for Esports, and next to that an advertisement for a world championship, then I saw a link to players stats. As a casual player I did not feel welcomed by that. I really wanted to try out a MOBA game but everywhere I turned I was discouraged by this competetive odor. The same thing is happening with FPS games, CS:GO, COD and even BF is starting to lean towards becoming just fully competetive, all the way through. It's all about who's the best and showing off, I thought we were done showing off at the age of 12.

I ask for more games to lean towards the casual players, I get that some people like the rush of being competetive, but really then you should step outside and race your friend around the house. Still, I'm competely fine with some games being fully competetive, it's just that I'm tierd of being told to "piss of and go play Garrys Mod". Competetive gamers are not the top class gamers, there are more things than skill that decide whether you are good or a bad gamer.

EDIT: I see a side bar here on the forum saying "TOP POSTERS" showing who has the highest post count. *facepalm*

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 0

#3 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

That's the nature of esports, raw competition; if you don't like it than those games probably aren't for you, you have plenty of alternatives. The arrogance comes with skill, I'm afraid; most good players I know are very arrogant

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Actually, the market has been watererd down for casuals and don't generalize all esport gamers. I play COD, Ghost Recon, Gears of war, Splinter Cell and a few more popular tittles, I don't have that attitude and most(not all) of the people I play with are pretty cool guys and gals. But there are a lot of games on the market that offer SP, MP and Co-op.

I love the co-op modes for Splinter Cell, RainBow Six, Gears of War, Ghost Recon, and L4D!! So if you don't want to deal with trash talkers, just find a game with co-op and hook up with a buddy.

Koda412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Koda412
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

As long as people are put into system that allows them to go head-to-head on something, competition will arise. I think that it's just human nature to want to be better at something than your peers. MOBA and FPS games are definitely set up for competition though. Some of the issue can stem from the origin of actual leagues. People on the internet tend to be very immature because there are no consequences for their actions thereby leading them to rage about teammates' poor performances. They just want to win and they don't care about what you want.

Multiplayer games are inherently competitive. Single-player games may fit your play style better.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

You might want to look at something like evolve. Its a co-op game if you play as humans but if you're the monster I believe you play alone. So there is no real competition short of stats being displayed at the end of a game.

But any online game with other people is going to have a little bit of a competition.

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

I think the whole E-Sports and MLG scene is stupid, but I also think the multitude of casual gamers on the marketplace are ridiculous. Candy Crush, Temple Run, Angry Birds, all that crap is something that I refuse to call a video game. That crap is what people who get bored while waiting at the doctors office download to try and they end up thinking themselves as gamers. No, just GTFO. Youre idiots.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@dethtrain: Evolve looks awesome, i don't think any other game has the same type of gameplay as in that game. Very intutive of them to make a game that has the co-op aspect + last man ehhh i mean last monster standing haha. That game definetly looks badass.

As other people has mentioned, if people go head to head in a multiplayer game there will allways be competition. Alot of times stats might ruin a game though, The Last Of us is a great example on that, people quit out and makes it impossible to win for the rest. Important that developers do something about, they did a good job on Destiny though where even if you lose you might get some items after the match and your stats are tracked imidetly online as soon as you get killed or get kills.