Collecting habits

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3653 posts) -

I was wondering if anybody else out there collects games from any certain developers or would like to own a certain companies entire backlog of games.

I am trying to complete the Tengen series of games.

I also pick up Atlus titles whenever I see good deals.

Almsot left out KOEI which I love to collect for as well.

One other thing I collect are unliscensed games and homebrews (although this isnt just one company, I kind of group them together)

Are there any other developers any of you strive to collect for? I would be interested in collecting games from other developers that some of you can bring into the light for me just to keep things fresh. Especially developers that have hidden gems or not so well known games like the three I mentioned above!

#2 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
I don't collect by developers, but if I did, it would Atlus games.
#3 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3653 posts) -

I don't collect by developers, but if I did, it would Atlus games.Dudersaper

Yeah, it seems Atlus is a very popular developer to collect games for. Probably because of short prints and unusual games. I am looking for another company or two in the same league as Atlus, but I fear there might not be another developer quite like them...

#4 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

not necessarily developers, but I do collect based on series , for instance I wanted a complete Metal Gear collection of the main games at least, though the 2 original MSX games are not easy to get , nevermind the fact I don't have an MSX.

#5 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

I honestly don't collect based on anything. I just buy whatever seems cool or is cheap or both. I do like to have complete series for any given console though but that is honestly mostly so I don't have to remember which ones I have. There are very few developers where every single game is worth having but there's lots of series like that so, to me, it makes more sense to do it that way.

#6 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I mostly collect things that I think look interesting or things that are on a huge list of games I want. The only company that I actively try to collect all their stuff is Squaresoft (NOT SquareEnix). I especially would like to collect all the North American PS Square titles.

#7 Posted by tab134 (340 posts) -
i get stuff 10 bucks or under.
#8 Posted by Jessey-Stone (341 posts) -

i mostly collect the turn based rpgs in my old systems im a rpg freak so i go for that but games like house of the dead 2 for the dc and illbleed or funny horror games ala resident evil but mostly rpgs

#9 Posted by Change_MyShorts (76 posts) -

I buy older games either because I once owned/played them, have heard good things and never played them, or the deal is too good to pass up. I'm not the AVGN with games lining rooms. All my stuff fits in the top of my closet and it spans all generations.

As of recent Sega Genesis, Game Gear, & Dreamcast have been my big browses/purchases...very inexpensive at the moment but I feel one day that will be a thing of the past. Just look at the Sega Saturn for instance, some games are fetching pretty respectable prices...because fewer were sold. Dreamcast is following along that path soon.

#10 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3653 posts) -

I mostly collect things that I think look interesting or things that are on a huge list of games I want. The only company that I actively try to collect all their stuff is Squaresoft (NOT SquareEnix). I especially would like to collect all the North American PS Square titles.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Back when Square still made quality products.... sigh....

I like that collecting goal!

Sad thing is, when they were individual companies and they gave each other competition they both had decent games.. Now however, I almost despise them mostly because I know what they are capable of.

#11 Posted by Megavideogamer (5279 posts) -

I just get Super Nintendo before any other legacy platforms.

#12 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

WitIsWisdom

Sad thing is, when they were individual companies and they gave each other competition they both had decent games.. Now however, I almost despise them mostly because I know what they are capable of.

Yeah, when I first heard the two companies were merging, I thought they'd make the golden age pf JRPGS in the 90s look like nothing, however the longer they released games, the more and more the quality decreased. It's sad because Final Fantasy is dead to me as a series and I refuse to buy any of these stupid spin off Kingdom Hearts games they churn out every other year. I've pretty much lost all my faith in SquareEnix. Luckily we now have companies like Atlus, NIS and Xseed to give us incredible JRPGs consistently. 

But yeah, I've never played a PS Squaresoft title I didn't like, and I always thought it's be cool to own the whole Sqaure catelog in North America. I'm about half way there, and just have to get my hands on a few of their rarer titles to complete my collection. I've also (not as aggressively though) been trying to get some Enix PS games I'm missing, but luckily I have Valkyrie Profile which is definitely the hardest and most expensive to come by these days.

On a side note, I'd love to collect these companies games on the SNES, however unless I become super rich or get very lucky someday at a thrift store or flea market, it's simply not going to happen :(

#13 Posted by GSJones1994 (314 posts) -

Currently trying to track down 2 Squaresoft games: Chrono Trigger and Parasite Eve 2, 2 from Tecmo: Dead or Alive 1 and Fatal Frame 2, and any other Capcom title for PS2, PS1 or SNES.

#14 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3653 posts) -

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

Yeah, when I first heard the two companies were merging, I thought they'd make the golden age pf JRPGS in the 90s look like nothing, however the longer they released games, the more and more the quality decreased. It's sad because Final Fantasy is dead to me as a series and I refuse to buy any of these stupid spin off Kingdom Hearts games they churn out every other year. I've pretty much lost all my faith in SquareEnix. Luckily we now have companies like Atlus, NIS and Xseed to give us incredible JRPGs consistently.

But yeah, I've never played a PS Squaresoft title I didn't like, and I always thought it's be cool to own the whole Sqaure catelog in North America. I'm about half way there, and just have to get my hands on a few of their rarer titles to complete my collection. I've also (not as aggressively though) been trying to get some Enix PS games I'm missing, but luckily I have Valkyrie Profile which is definitely the hardest and most expensive to come by these days.

On a side note, I'd love to collect these companies games on the SNES, however unless I become super rich or get very lucky someday at a thrift store or flea market, it's simply not going to happen :(

Took the words from my mouth and glued them in my thread... lol

I couldn't agree more.

#15 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3653 posts) -

Currently trying to track down 2 Squaresoft games: Chrono Trigger and Parasite Eve 2, 2 from Tecmo: Dead or Alive 1 and Fatal Frame 2, and any other Capcom title for PS2, PS1 or SNES.

GSJones1994

I like these collecting goals as well. Everything listed is good stuff. Good luck tracking everything down!

#16 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

WitIsWisdom

Took the words from my mouth and glued them in my thread... lol

I couldn't agree more.

haha for sure :p. 

I'm going game chasing today (as I usually do on the weekends) and hopefully I'll land some of those missing Square titles I'm searching for.

#17 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

My 'collecting' mood changes from time to time. Usually I'm fixated on collecting Xbox and Gamecube games though.

I'd say that I'm kind of obsessed with finding Resident Evil and Metroid games. I have the player's choice version of Metroid Prime nad I'm trying to find the original for a cheap price for the sake of having it, the same with RE games, I want the games on PS1/2 aswell, the bulk of my RE games are on Gamecube and Wii

#18 Posted by Exceed20XX (1030 posts) -

I seem to have a few:

-Metroidvania based Castlevanias and several others

-DJMAX (had pretty much every import release at one point, now just the US releases and Trilogy)

-Metal Gear SOLID main titles

-Resident Evil main titles (used to have all the GC ones at one point, ended up later with the Sega ones)

-Squaresoft's PS1 era stuff, still have about 10 or 11 of their titles (and a few SNES titles). I agree, I miss that era too. :( I feel like sometime after this I had a long term shift away from JRPGs.

-A chunk of Treasure's stuff (still have most of their post-Gen/MD Sega stuff, used to have their GBA stuff and a few others)

-Quantic Dream's catalog (a whopping three releases right now) :P

And to get ridiculous I seem to have enjoyed playing numerous versions of the original Sonics, Doom 1&2, and Castlevania: SotN over the years. Generally I shoot for whatever really captures my interest but I will admit finding titles from devs/pubs I've had good experiences with raises my chances of going after them a bit more.

#19 Posted by jsmoke03 (12612 posts) -

haven't gotten to that point. mostly trying to still get console exclusives down first....but if i did, it would probably have to be bioware.

#20 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

microsoft lol thats an easy collection to finish actually i like anything just as long as its good 

#21 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

I try to get any metal gear or tekken game I see.