Classic Game Room leaves Youtube

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by downnice95 (144 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kIrsw8-io&feature=youtu.be

One of the big ones leaves Youtube.

Thoughts and who do you think will leave next? AVGN?, Angry Joe?,

#3 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17645 posts) -

It's bullshit, but old news, and like other fans, I've bolted to the CGR website. The Wind Squid pub is already better than Gamespot's crappy redesign too.

#4 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@solidredskyrim1 said:

isnt it because its ilegal to make money of someone elses work because when you buy a game your buying a licence to play the video game

No you're not, it's under fair use. The reason for this is that sound clips from the most obscure thing like playing a 10 second clip from sound or music from something that is actual in the game which you are reviewing is getting flagged. So if you have a clip just showing the intro screen, it's going to get flagged. Reviews, flagged, walkthroughs, flagged. Let's plays, flagged. This is only happening to games

#5 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

isnt it because its ilegal to make money of someone elses work because when you buy a game your buying a licence to play the video game

No you're not, it's under fair use. The reason for this is that sound clips from the most obscure thing like playing a 10 second clip from sound or music from something that is actual in the game which you are reviewing is getting flagged. So if you have a clip just showing the intro screen, it's going to get flagged. Reviews, flagged, walkthroughs, flagged. Let's plays, flagged. This is only happening to games

It's not just video game videos getting hit. Anything with sound or video matching up to something in Youtube's Content ID system instantly gets claimed or flagged. The system's failures have already been detailed in this thread.

If Youtube doesn't do something about their system, Classic Game Room won't be the last to leave them.

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@1PMrFister said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

It's not just video game videos getting hit. Anything with sound or video matching up to something in Youtube's Content ID system instantly gets claimed or flagged. The system's failures have already been detailed in this thread.

If Youtube doesn't do something about their system, Classic Game Room won't be the last to leave them.

Hell i got two of my videos flagged for some freaking reason

#7 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

I mostly watch youtube for Let's Plays...aww man...

#8 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: o the old fair use crap. As it stands right now fair use doesn't really exist for viedo games. If they don't want you to make money they can yank anything they want. Leaving YouTube doesn't stop those who don't want you to make money.

#9 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

youtube is just lucky they are TOO BIG to die

#10 Posted by Planeforger (16387 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

No you're not, it's under fair use.

Well...maybe. Fair use doesn't seem to be that clear-cut, and it would really depend on a range of different factors (such as how much original content is being placed in a Lets Play, etc).

Also, I don't even know of any country outside the US that even has a fair use defence. Some countries (like here in Australia) have a defence of fair dealing, but that's a much narrower defence.

#11 Posted by platinumking320 (667 posts) -
@solidredskyrim1 said:

sorry mi friend. video games and copyright enter a far trickier area of ownership than music and film recordings. No play through is the same as another person's play through. I mean look. We have mods. Artists and programmers willingly gave those source kits to common people like us to make our own derivatives of their games.

If it were up to patent troll and sample troll lawyers, you think that entire culture would exist?

#12 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Well...maybe. Fair use doesn't seem to be that clear-cut, and it would really depend on a range of different factors (such as how much original content is being placed in a Lets Play, etc).

Also, I don't even know of any country outside the US that even has a fair use defence. Some countries (like here in Australia) have a defence of fair dealing, but that's a much narrower defence.

Fair use is irrelevant at this point. Unless someone wants to sue a multi billion dollar corporation to set a standard nothing going to change.

#13 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

Well that's terrible.

#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

No reviews are the same, no game is the same because of how you play it. That's fair use. If you use footage of a movie for your review it is fair use. If you use music as and review it it's fair use. How is it not fair use when it comes to games only?

#15 Posted by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@downnice95 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kIrsw8-io&feature=youtu.be

One of the big ones leaves Youtube.

Thoughts and who do you think will leave next? AVGN?, Angry Joe?,

Well, he isn't really leaving youtube, he is just directing his viewers to his own site for the full review and good for him if he earns more that way.

But i dont really care, this whole "youtube copyright is killing let´s play" is gone way overboard and most just need to relax and wait because it will get fixed.

#16 Posted by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

I like how you presume that Fair use is a universal umbrella that can protect anyone from the original owners rights. Actually Fair Use is a term which is mainly american and in europe we have a different understanding and therefore the term fair use is partially incorrect to use if you as a youtuber are based in Europe.

And even then Fair Use is not a fixed thing, its a term that can be used but it doesn't guarantee anything. Its mostly a case by case judgment even tho there is of course similarities that clearly can be used.

But anyways some people on youtube are going way overboard and need to relax and sit down a bit, its not like the developers, publishers and artists haven't said they are supporting the use even tho they have every right to say hey you can use our content, but you cant make money of it.

#17 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

But anyways some people on youtube are going way overboard and need to relax and sit down a bit, its not like the developers, publishers and artists haven't said they are supporting the use even tho they have every right to say hey you can use our content, but you cant make money of it.

Nintendo? Capcom?

#18 Edited by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

Ya i heard they have hit hard and i fully understand them, why should someone else make money of their product.

Imagine if that was you, you made a game but someone else made a living on it. i would be pissed if that was me, because its not like people cant show the content , they just cant make a profit on it.

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

Ya i heard they have hit hard and i fully understand them, why should someone else make money of their product.

Imagine if that was you, you made a game but someone else made a living on it. i would be pissed if that was me, because its not like people cant show the content , they just cant make a profit on it.

So what are reviews and all the gameplays? It's free advertisment. It's word of mouth. A lot of people i know watch Let's plays to see what the game is like and then buy it. That's what reviews are aswell. Gaming companies make NO money from all of gamespots, ign, rev3games, destructoid, gametrailers. etc. They all are allowed to do this, yet when others do it, they can click the banhammer? If they have some sort of advertisment before all of the videos, i would be fine with it. But they did none of the editing, commenting, playing ,etc. So i call bs

#20 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

So what are reviews and all the gameplays? It's free advertisment. It's word of mouth. A lot of people i know watch Let's plays to see what the game is like and then buy it. That's what reviews are aswell. Gaming companies make NO money from all of gamespots, ign, rev3games, destructoid, gametrailers. etc. They all are allowed to do this, yet when others do it, they can click the banhammer? If they have some sort of advertisment before all of the videos, i would be fine with it. But they did none of the editing, commenting, playing ,etc. So i call bs

Yeah, this. Allowing people to share their experiences through LP's, walkthroughs, and stuff actually benefits both parties. The companies get free exposure, and the LP'ers can make a living doing what they love. Besides, the money people make off monetizing these videos is pittance compared to what the companies make through sales, and it's not like that money is being stolen from them to begin with.

#21 Posted by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

And? does it change the fact that its Capcom's and Nintendo's content. No so they still have every right to say "we dont want you to earn money on our content"

And in regards to professional sites, you are right they dont earn any revenue from their coverage if you don't count all the people visiting their sites. But you have to remember that gamespot, IGN, Eurogamer, Rev3games all get permission before they post and they do not post content that havent been provided to them and have a agreement.

Also just because you edit, comment, play a game doesnt mean its yours, its still very much Capcom´s and Nintendo´s

#22 Edited by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@1PMrFister said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

Yeah, this. Allowing people to share their experiences through LP's, walkthroughs, and stuff actually benefits both parties. The companies get free exposure, and the LP'ers can make a living doing what they love. Besides, the money people make off monetizing these videos is pittance compared to what the companies make through sales, and it's not like that money is being stolen from them to begin with.

And people can still make their lp´s , walkthroughs and everything else, its just in some cases they cant get paid for it. which is fair.

#23 Edited by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

And? does it change the fact that its Capcom's and Nintendo's content. No so they still have every right to say "we dont want you to earn money on our content"

And in regards to professional sites, you are right they dont earn any revenue from their coverage if you don't count all the people visiting their sites. But you have to remember that gamespot, IGN, Eurogamer, Rev3games all get permission before they post and they do not post content that havent been provided to them and have a agreement.

Also just because you edit, comment, play a game doesnt mean its yours, its still very much Capcom´s and Nintendo´s

No it's not, you bought the game, it's yours. If you show off a game that has cutscenes and you only show off the cutscenes, then yeah it's fine. But if you actually play the game.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

are these guys wrong?

#24 Posted by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@solidredskyrim1 said:

Nintendo? Capcom?

No it's not, you bought the game, it's yours. If you show off a game that has cutscenes and you only show off the cutscenes, then yeah it's fine. But if you actually play the game.

are these guys wrong?

Sorry have no idea what videos you linked too since Gamespot decided to not allow or just mess up embed videos :)

But if they claim you own the game you buy they are wrong. And they also need to learn to read the TOS/EULA they agree on.

Any IP such as a video game is protected by copyright but its not the only thing, because you actually don't buy the content, you buy a license to use it, and by that you also agree to certain terms here under that the content is not yours and you cannot just use it in certain areas unless you get the ok from the original owners. Like broadcasting the game on twitch or uploading it to youtube.

Games are actually no different from videos and music.

#25 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

since the videos aren't accepted, here are the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQfHdasuWtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35P2-kVuHKI

That is total bs, if you buy a game, you own it. You can do what the hell you want with it

#26 Posted by Jacanuk (5860 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

That is total bs, if you buy a game, you own it. You can do what the hell you want with it

Well, you might think it´s BS but in the end that's what you buy, a license to use not the product. And the law is the law.

As to the two videos, Angry Joe was being angry and you should check out his 2nd video after he had calmed down,the other video Boogie, i think he was being sarcastic because he is right, if people want to make video reviews and interviews they need to apply for jobs in the industry or stop complaining if a company doesn't like their content to be used. But both actually blame YouTube more than the content owners, and they are right in that.

YouTube have gone by this all wrong and they need to make sure that whom ever claims to have the rights, also is the right owner so you don´t see all these 3rd party claims that are just a pain because they are invalid.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75080 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Well, you might think it´s BS but in the end that's what you buy, a license to use not the product. And the law is the law.

As to the two videos, Angry Joe was being angry and you should check out his 2nd video after he had calmed down,the other video Boogie, i think he was being sarcastic because he is right, if people want to make video reviews and interviews they need to apply for jobs in the industry or stop complaining if a company doesn't like their content to be used. But both actually blame YouTube more than the content owners, and they are right in that.

YouTube have gone by this all wrong and they need to make sure that whom ever claims to have the rights, also is the right owner so you don´t see all these 3rd party claims that are just a pain because they are invalid.

And Angry Joe said in his third video that he will take this to court and fight it