Character creation- Help, or hinderance, your thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcoop_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jcoop_345
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I believe character creation in games to be a fun and interesting system that helps players really get attached to their in game characters, your thoughts?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I haven't come across a character creation system I like. Either they are too in-depth (i.e. letting the player control everything down to the nose bridge depth, etc) or are not in depth enough (i.e. pick from these 3 presets in a handful of categories).

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

usally they are not well done, but i love them too, i think its mandatory for rpg games

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I don't like them, they never fit into the story as naturally as a pre made character.

its why I keep my character default on mass effect, it feels like that's what the story intended.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I appreciate its existence. I create my own character(usually according to my likeness) so it kinda adds to the immersion.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

i like character creation but the bad thing is i never can make up my mind how and what to create and then i mostly spend more time creating my friggin character than playing the whole game

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

It depends on the game. Elder Scrolls games has a really diverse character creation that helps me to become invested in the creation of my characters. Stories behind the scars I put on his/her face, the rite of passge to earn the face paint of whatever race, etc. I get into RPGs (probably due to extensive pen and paper RPG experience) so anything that I can customize is normally a good thing. However a game can have a killer character creation, but if the game play fall on its face then it is just wasted effort.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

If pressing a "randomize" button doesn't yield a decent looking character, the customization features have gone too far.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It really depends on the kind of game. In some games (like WRPGs) character creation is an important part of the game mechanics, but in other games it's entirely cosmetic. Some games let you configure your avatar even though you hardly ever see it, which is kind of pointless. Other games let you do it because there's a strong multiplayer component and it's more about how other people see you. Personally, for the correct kind of game I think it's critical, but you can have an excellent game without it.

-Byshop

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

is there anyone else who constantly visits those plastic surgery stations in the SAINTS ROW games ?

i think i visit them every hour just to make my character look different and try every kind of haircuts etc.

SaintsRowLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 SaintsRowLA
Member since 2013 • 331 Posts

@jcoop_345: Absolutely agree. I always enjoy creating a custom female character for all my custom made games.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I like character creators, but I never bother with it too much if there's too much customization involved. I just wanna play the damn game already.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I find that I become more attach to premade characters. They just look better, act better, and more immersive that the characters I must make.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

I get why they are there, but I personally think its just a waste of time, I just want to pick my class and jump right into the game

jcoop_345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcoop_345
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@sabretooth2066: you are not alone, I find myself tweaking my character to the very last inch of there bodies.